Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Interesting Idea (Split Board)

Postby davesails7 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:43 pm

That would be pretty great, but judging from how much trouble the manufacturers have been having just keeping the water out of their single piece race boards, I'd be a little skeptical of how long this thing would last :D

chipmunk
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby chipmunk » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:31 pm

It’s going to be an interesting time with the Olympics in 2016 hopefully the major manufactures will make a cheap introductory board and not go the way the windsurfing industry went :roll:

If weight was not an issue with race boards the split board has 3 parts so if you did get water in it the water can only go in one section and not soak into all the board

Funny thing is I have made kite speed boards for years and we put 2kg weights on the front end to keep the board down in choppy water and improve control at speed

Hypothetically if you had a mast foot box on a kite race board you could try it out and see if it would help in chop? And stronger winds

Multi hulled boards could be next, have never seen one yet but Why?: - less wetted area at high speed and sideways grip? = smaller fins more control?

The kite / windsurfing industries need to have more innovative people like the web site with the internet we only have to post an idea and someone may be able to help there are a lot of people out there who have fantastic ideas and should be encouraged

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:51 am

chipmunk wrote:Multi hulled boards could be next, have never seen one yet but Why?: - less wetted area at high speed and sideways grip? = smaller fins more control?
I don't think multihulls would help. Multihulls have more wetted surface area
than a monohull. For a race board you need that bottom area to get planing. I guess it gets pretty complicated with all the lift they are getting from the foils.

Sailing catamarans are a special case. A catamaran is a good idea for a sail boat because the wide beam allows you to carry more sail.

I guess if you had a catamaran raceboard you could use gigantic fins, but you'd probably need a rudder to steer the thing. It doesn't seem like too much heeling moment is really an issue on a raceboard though.

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby gbleck » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:31 pm

The IKA class rules prohibit multihulled boards. C.6.1 GENERAL
Only Boards with one peice hulls are permitted.

That would make a multihull definatly a no no. In racing config I would imagine a split board would be concidered a one peice hull.

Return to “Kitesurfing”