Forum for kitesurfers
orwell
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2012 Raceboards without fins

Postby orwell » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:42 pm

Hello, did anyone knows, why the most of the 2012 raceboards didn't came with fins ?
Why you have to buy a custom one ?
Why they didn't came with a reccomended fin?
For what i read, some of the them works better with angle, some not.
I need to buy a new one and i want to be sure if the fins i have are suitable for the new one.

Rattlehead
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brighton, Qld
Style: Freeride / race
Gear: 2012 North rebel 13 m
2012 North fuse 9 m
2008 north rhino 12 m
2010 Eh ovando 11 m
2011 x19 spleene 19 m
2008 135x35 north phantom
2010 140x41 nobile 50/50
2012 naish Venturi 190x70

Re: 2012 Raceboards without fins

Postby Rattlehead » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:28 pm

I'll have a go at answering this one .

Some of the new boards come with fins , but they are a all round fin (suitable for all-round conditions and rider weights) , the reason why most boards don't come with fins is that with racing going the way it is , the fins are a specialize item and depending on board type , rider weight and contitions they vary. It's not uncommon for a racer to have several sets of fins for different conditions . There are so many variables that custom fins are the best option.

Also changing fins between different boards may also not be 100%successful , different boards may run better with different cant , rake ,flex and depth ect .this is why when you order a new set of custom fins the manufacturer wants to know a stack of info.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:51 am

Well I do have a slightly different take on it. Raceboard fins are super expensive. Rista recommends different fins for different weight, which makes sense, but also makes it hard for brands to provide the "right" fin. Solution for some is to provide a board without fins. Naish provided their board with Rista fins, though I think there are other solutions to the specialized fins issue.

wdric
Frequent Poster

Postby wdric » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:06 am

North also offer a selection of fins for which you can order with you board from I think three different lengths

The problem with all this atm though is until all this fin selection becomes common knowledge and the local shop that sells the products all become familier with whats best with what then anyone new coming into the sport is on their own to some extent :o

Return to “Kitesurfing”