Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Airush 2013 Team Series

Postby Toby » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:47 pm

Airush News:

2013 Team Series

a0.png
The 2013 Airush Team Series marks the 3rd year of designing pro ducts specifically for the Airush Pro Team, pushing the level and limits of performance. This range is a testament of what kiteboarding can achieve through new construction designs, like the Aramid Load Frame technology as well as use of carbon through our Active surf, Quad and Dual carbon constructions. Developing some of th e lightest, responsive, and highest performing equipment on the market - the 2013 Airush Team Series.

Razor
a 1.png
a 1.png (84.51 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
As a dedicated five-line kite, the Razor attracts C-Kite enthus iasts, freestyle fanatics and wave purists with its highend performance. Designed by two-time Vice World Champion Alex Pastor, 2009 World Champion Bruna Kajiya, Dutch Champion Bas Koole, and up-and-coming rookie Oswald Smith – the 2013 Airush Razor retains the C-Kite feel and performance that wakestyle and freestyle riders need. While retaining its famous pop/ unhooked abilities and kite looping, the Razor boasts great range and comfort for everyday riders. Never before has a kite delivered
such high levels of performance within easy reach of intermedia te riders. Now available in Bullet Proof Construction featured only on the Razor Team, the new Razor is built and tes ted to minimize impact-related damages and enhance responsiveness throughout the entire kite.

5.5/7/9/11/13

Wave
a 2.png
a 2.png (88.44 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
The Airush Wave is the ultimate choice for serious surf riders. What makes the Airush Wave unique from others in its class is the Bullet Proof Construction, ensuring stabili ty and strength throughout the entire canopy. The Wave manages all the abuse that Mother Nature and you, the ride r, can throw at it. The Wave has excellent drifting capabilities that are absolutely necessary for riding in and out of critical sections. The large surface area in the wingtips creates a kite that steers quickly, while the S L-C shape and reduced LE diameter ensure smooth power delivery during bottom turns, and allows the kite to fly forward in the window – enhancing the unhooked
performance. The Airush Wave is the definition of perfection, f or all types of surf riding.

6/9/12

Aramid Load Frame Technology
a 3.png
a 3.png (129.1 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
Airush revolutionizes the way kites are made with all-new Arami d Load Frame technology. Aramid – found in bulletproof vests – is strategically placed throughout the kite to create a frame that improves the kite’s structure and response. This construction absorbs impact throughout the canopy, minimiz es stretch and reduces the area between each seam – further increasing the strength of the kite . Not only does the frame create a solid structure, but also increases performance. The Aramid Load Frame creates a more solid link throughout the entire kite, which
enhances the response from rider to kite.

The Aramid Load Frame is only featured on the Razor Team and th e Wave – two ranges that get the biggest beating from our riders

X Protoy
a 4.png
a 4.png (93.9 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
The Protoy is designed for the rider looking for refined freest yle performance with riding comfort, which is normally only found in a freeride board. The secret lies in the unique double-concave bottom combined with a continuous rocker and three-stage outline, allowing the Protoy to work perfectly in just about any conditions. The shape performs in conjunction with the high level of damping an d response found in our multi-zone Biotech core, combined with the Full Dual Carbon construction.

132/135/138

Dual Carbon
a 5.png
a 5.png (7.48 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
The Dual Carbon Biotech construction offers an incredible combination of reduced weight with high durability in an intermediate flex board. The additional stiffness of the full Carbon fiber top and bottom layer allow us to reduce the core thickness and materials used, leading to a significant weight saving over a glass board. Both top and bottom decks feature a durable PPT top sheet layer to protect the laminate.

FS Team
a 6.png
a 6.png (110.3 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
The FS Team has been developed to be the ultimate kiteboard on the market. Unique innovations in lamination, construction and core technology have enabled us to offer a pro duct that is simply lighter and more responsive at the stiffness required from a dedicated freestyle board. This unique development is the result of a complete rethink of the production process, along with the huge innovation found in the quad-layer multiaxial 100% carbon construction.

130/135/140

Quad Carbon Biotech
a 7.png
a 7.png (7.96 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
The Airush Quad Carbon Biotech construction is a vertical wood core sandwich - containing a Paulownia core with ABS rail and tips. Through significant development of the quad layer multiaxial 100% carbon construction, we have been able to reduce overall weight for the same relative stiffness by up to 40%. However, the true secret to its performance is felt in the refinement of the response, where the four carbon layers are directionally optimized for torsion and longitudinal response. The result is an incredible combination of explosive pop, improved control on landing and increased ride comfort.

Cypher
a 8.png
a 8.png (116.1 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
The 5’4” combines the performance of a small wave surfboard wit h an incredible throw-around factor. The 5’4” features a concave deck for low centre of drive and improved strapless performance. The 5’6” is the perfect allround performer; the medium volume ensures great performance in a diverse range of onshore to cross-onshore conditions. Ideal for medium to heavier and lightwind riders, the 5’8” absolutely rips while having enough buoyancy for paddle surfing for an advanced 85 kg rider in small surf (up to shoulder height). The 5’10” has a unique design, pushing the envelope of extreme lightwind wave performance by allowing you to ride aggressively in the most marginal conditions. At the same time, the 5’10” Cypher has wave-engineered heritage which ensures significant crossover surf potential.

5’8/5’10

Active Technology
a 9.png
a 9.png (46.2 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
The Key to the Active Stringer’s strength is the stiff and ultra lightweight carbon I-beam through the centre of the board.

The secret to the Active Stringers flex is the high memory polypropylene layer that allows the full biaxial carbon skins to flex and compress within a working range.

Smartbar 4
a 10.png
a 10.png (35.52 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
The 2013 Smartbar 4 becomes the first and only bar on the market with four size options, fitting the smallest to the largest Airush kites. In addition to the 45-55cm push pin adjustment, the Smartbar 4 features an additional two sizes (52 and 62) of adjustment with the all- new PU
rubber coated Airush bar ends. Maintaining its position as the definitive bar choice for all riders by integrating the industry-leading B rain Quick Release, the Smart Bar 4 remains simplistic yet highly intuitive. The 2013 Smartbar 4 is extremely tunable, safe and easy to use. Line
combinations of 3/6/14m segments gives the rider more customization, allowing the Smartbar 4 to be flown on 24, 21, 18, 15, or 10m lines!

Improvements include the new Low Y System, which integrates a single front-line flag out that ensures peace of mind and meets safety standards, while also increasing kite performance. Airush keeps the hardcore rider in mind with double PU coated line – the only choice for a durable sheeting line - which will give you years of usage. With these new additions to 2013, the Smartbar 4 is a truly smart package.

2013 Bar End
a 11.png
a 11.png (27.12 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
All new on the 2013 Smartbar 4 and Analog Bar is the redesigned bar end, packed with updates to make your Airush bar even better! The 2013 bar end features Soft Touch – a PU coated casing which provides protection for riders and their boards – as well as the built-in bar adjuster which gives an extra 3.5cm of quick adjustment on both sides. The structure of the 2013 bar end also increases the strength of the entire piece, resulting in a more reliable, durable part.

AFT Teams
a 12.png
a 12.png (43.09 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
The AFT Team combines dual Velcro closure, and integrated molded EVA arms without AFT Footbed. This provides maximum comfort and durability, which top riders such as Alex Pastor and Bas Koole need for those endless sessions. Easy entry allows riders to quickly adjust the strap, while the double Velcro closure customizes the tension of the front and back of the strap, adjusting to different foot shapes.

Foot Forming System
a 13.png
a 13.png (13.24 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
Lycra-covered ergonomic thermoformed EVA arms ensures an all- encompassing foot system that secures the foot without any hard edges (due to the seamless integration from EVA pad to EVA arm). This enables the use of a sleeve strap, which is lighter and moves in conjunction with your foot’s natural movement. A side stiffening plate ensures structural integrity and smooth sliding of the EVA arms during tightening.

Team Series Harness
a 14.png
a 14.png (35.02 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
The Airush waist harness offers an exceptional blend of support and comfort. Support is achieved by combining a pre-shaped load plate with a 3D-molded internal and external construction. The full neoprene soft edge and neoprene inner belt maximizes the comfort of the harness. The dual-stage belt system allows the rider to set the level of belt support, by adjusting or bypassing the secondary belt if preferred.

Like us in facebook: www.facebook.com/AirushInternational

www.airush.com or www.airush.com/2013

Video:

http://www.vimeo.com/45818391

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Airush 2013 Team Series

Postby Toby » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:51 pm

here the PDF
Attachments
2013 Airush-TeamSeries-PR2.pdf
(2.14 MiB) Downloaded 303 times

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Brent4336 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:38 pm

Now both Airush and Ocean Rodeo have a Razor and a Cypher.

These guys should read each others catalogues from time to time.

s29feb
Frequent Poster

Postby s29feb » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:54 pm

I have been lucky enough to fly a 9m Wave and it really is a cracking kite and not just for waves :thumb:

Kyle_F
Frequent Poster
Style: All-around
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Kyle_F » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:31 pm

I've been riding the Cypher 5'8 Active a bit.....man this board is fun! It airs nicely for my level of riding.
Attachments
_NV_9237.jpg
Last edited by Kyle_F on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:13 pm

I've also had my paws on a few bits here in the last few weeks..

Wave 9m team - again, like s29feb, very impressed, completely different to the rest of the range from last year, cross between a Lithium and a Razor... very interesting. A lot of performance of a razor with the manners that anyone could deal with - a joy in hardcore conditions.. Seems to have good forward turn and punch for lighter winds too...

Cypher - has the windrange and early planing very close to the choptop, but feels half the size and must have 3x the rail bite. It's explosive in the turn and I would suggest going a size bigger generally and enjoying the extra range. The 5'6 has almost too much hook in quad for my legs to hold! A big step forward in my eyes.

Aramid frame also very good idea. Could this be the end of total canopy failures? It also helps to stiffen, and aid shear twist in the canopy, makes the kite feel more direct and aids in forward turning.

Kyle_F
Frequent Poster
Style: All-around
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Kyle_F » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:36 am

The Aramid canopy on the Wave is definitely impressive. I have had my 9 out a few days now and it really has a consistent, sharp feel on the turns. The drift on the Wave also seems very "dialable" as you run down the line. So far I am very stoked to have something like this in the Airush offering.

Here are some shots of the construct:
Attachments
_NV_9118.jpg
_NV_9203.jpg

s29feb
Frequent Poster

Postby s29feb » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:19 am

I agree with Kyle - here are my thoughts on the wave and wee video.

Disclaimer: I’m a local rider for Airush in the UK – 37 (should know better) big boosting old school wannabe freestyler – 80kg and I normally ride 11/9/7 Razors with a 135 Shinn Street. I’m very picky about the kites I ride and although a rider for Airush if I did not like their gear I would simply not use it as I value my water time too much. I do regularly try other kites so I can compare.

2013 Airush Wave

I was lucky enough to recently amongst other kites have a demo 9m Wave in El Medano Tenerife; where due to the conditions this place can throw at you it was for me a standout kite. This is simply because it is a plug and play and lets you ride and have some serious fun without having to over think or adjust plus it still retains enough involvement that you are not detached from everything going on.

Airush state that this kite is; “Specifically designed for one thing only, the Airush Wave is the ultimate choice for serious surf riders.” However, to pigeon-hole it as only a wave kite would be doing it a massive injustice as it is so much more than this.

It actually really surprised me that I liked it so much and was my ‘go to’ choice for the week above a 2013 9m Team Razor and 8m Varial X. I generally like my kiting to be high adrenaline but without drama where feedback, precision and control are key traits that I look for in a kite hence I ride Razors. So when I unpacked and pumped up the Wave my expectations were not great; with its low aspect fatness and three strut design I was thinking I would be underwhelmed with the feedback and feel. Usually I have found kites of this ilk to have a bit of a disconnect with a sense of delay at the bar and an almost blancmange like wobble feel in their handling and turning.

The Wave is nothing like this. Don’t get me wrong as it is by no means as direct as the Varial X but the feedback and feel through what is noticeably lighter bar pressure is far from inadequate. I flew it out the bag on the middle/medium bar pressure settings on the back lines and I always knew where it was and what it was doing. The thin LE and wide, square tips seem to counter what could be dull and unresponsive handling to something that steers quickly with precision and maintains power and forward speed in the turn.

One of the strangest things about the Wave is how it tanks upwind with absolutely no effort whatsoever without it seeming to be flying that far forward (overly technical) and not feeling as if you have to work at it. Without trying and on the first few tacks I noticed how I was out-pointing almost every other kiter irrespective of kite and board with ease. This in El Medano is really something as the conditions (small beach, shore dump, swell, crazy learners, bobbing pole boarders...) sometimes mean it is an effort to keep ground especially if you are tricking or jumping and end up stuck downwind in the wash at Pigs Bay. However, I needn’t have worried on the Wave as I could do what I wanted and it was effortless in getting back to a good point on one or two tacks instead of the multiple it might have took on another kite.

With regards to tricking and jumping the Wave again is much more versatile than a ‘surf kite’. Unhooked it is very well behaved with no backstall and no surge, it can be a little sensitive to input wanting to climb, but you can easily bust out big raileys and s-bends; however because it does tend to stay neutral in the window then you won’t get massive slack from it. As for boosting ability it definitely has some good under the hood and again not comparable to the rocket like whip of the Razor or even the VX, but if you are an intermediate it will be so much more rewarding as it doesn’t require the more advanced technical ability of these two and you still get some great height and good float from it where a pull in of the bar and redirect provides silky soft landings.

As for what it was intended to do in Waves, well I’m no wave rider but the aforementioned traits mean (in theory) it should work well and it did reward my lame attempts. It has huge depower and you can push the bar out and ride right at it (on a wave if you know what you are doing) and it will drift with you, but pull the bar in and crank it and it will turn with power to take you back up and over anything. The depower is also very linear so the power delivery is not a shut on/off affair plus the range was very good with a cracking low-end and when it picked up (locals on 7’s) I never had to touch the depower.

When I came off the water and emailed the distributor about it I described the Wave as an eager to please puppy that was always there tongue out and tail wagging. No matter what I did I could not get it to stuff up - apparently it has decent relaunch, but having never dropped it in the drink I can’t attest to this. If I was to nit pick then the under really aggressive sheeting and handling at some points in the window you will get a bit of canopy flutter possibly inherent to the 3 strut design, but this was far from excessive and with the new Aramid Frame Technology I can’t see it being a problem.

In summary I loved it and if I was looking for a cracking all-round, easy to fly but yet still rewarding kite then it would be at the top of my list. As it is I’ll still be on Razors this year for those days when everything comes together they are simply sublime, but if I wanted a kite that I could push myself without worrying about how hard it was going to push back then it would have to be the Wave.

Last edited by s29feb on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

s29feb
Frequent Poster

Postby s29feb » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:01 pm

2013 Airush Team Razor

What to say? The Razor is what the Razor does. It is a sharp, precise tool and this is why I personally use them. Being someone who started during the ‘bow’ revolution the hype at the time instilled a certain amount of fear and trepidation towards C kites. For anyone whose experience was similar, or for those who were tortured by C kites of old I urge you to try a modern C kite. You seriously don’t know what you are missing and if I could only ever own one kite from now on it would be a 9m Razor!

I was lucky enough to again test a 2013 9m Team Razor in El Medano recently. So what is new this year? It is pretty much the same as last year (a good thing) and they have just added some minor reinforcements to the kite. In addition the team series is constructed using the new Aramid (bulletproof vest stuff) frame technology; which as well as structurally strengthening and improving load distribution of the kite on impact it also improves feedback and by creating a stiffer more responsive kite… plus the diamond pattern looks cool and we all know how important this is!

The Razor is precise, direct and predictable. It will do what you want, how you want and it will tell you exactly where it is and what it is doing with sublime feel and linear power delivery through the bar. The steering is light and fast with pin sharp response and you feel connected to the kite at all times. It might be billed as a high performance competition C kite, but it also has enough comfort there to make it appeal to an intermediate/advanced kiter who values performance, feedback and feel in an easy to use package.

It is of course designed to excel unhooked (it was designed by and for the Airush Team riders to use in the PKRA) and when you do there is no surprises as it is as stable and as well behaved as it is hooked in. There is no surge and neither does it drop back in the window and when you load against it you can build tension without it shooting forward and killing power with the result being huge controlled pop with slack that lets you trick. I had read about this ‘slack’ and it was not until I flew the Razor that I really understood it and unhooking is a much less frenetic experience where I can now do it with more power without having to trim or adjust anything.

The great thing about the Razor is that it’s not just a one trick pony. It is an excellent high performance freeride kite and with the right technique it effortlessly boosts huge. Whipping it back overhead rips you off the water and rockets you skyward and because you know where it is and what it’s doing it can be done by feel with plenty of air time to go for those old school board-offs. You obviously won’t get the long glide you get from more low aspect or hybrid designs but the height and controlled decent still gives you plenty of time in the air to enjoy the view and look down at all the kites below you.

Drawbacks or negatives… well if you buy C kite and expect ‘massive range’ and huge depower’ then you might just get a bit of a t-bagging. That said I reckon size for size a good modern C kite has more real world usable range in that the sweet spot is better than a hybrid. Within its range, even when fully depowered, the Razor always flies the same and offers the same predictability and control and there is enough depower at the bar to handle gusts with ease; however if you have it overhead fully depowered and it is still pulling then you are on the wrong size kite. It also doesn’t have ‘auto relaunch’ but again if you don’t know how to use a fifth line or expect it to be sitting there on a wing-tip ready to go then you need not apply.

Also I know some people use them to wave ride but this is not the Razor’s strong point so don’t expect it to sit there while you carve some faces – if its flying its pulling. However, this brings me to my final ramblings; before I tried C kites I considered myself a good kiter and not in the pulling moves sense i.e. I knew how to fly a kite to get the most from it and not simply be dragged along behind it. Even so, since getting Razors I have improved as I now understand even more than previously that control is a whole body process. With the Razor I feel connected to the kite and the water and my sessions are much more exhilarating because of it.

Aramid Frame

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby peterheirman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:26 pm

@s29feb
In the video you are testing a wave kite with a twintip on micro waves (<75 cm) ???
No very convincing.
That I can even do with old school high jump kites (Best Nemesis HP 2008)

For a test you need to have and wave board, 3m waves and about 30 knots side on shore - then test the drifting ability of the kite and turning ability when riding down the slope of the wave (fast downwind and hope the kite turns).

Jumping ability:
In most cases kites that jump well are not the best for wave riding as they pull to hard during turns which is especially hard riding in switch stance trying to stay on the wave in a gusty wind. Normally these jumping kites pull you off the wave due to their power and speed.

Return to “Kitesurfing”