Forum for kitesurfers
POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

St. Lucia honeymoon in December.

Postby POACHER » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:19 pm

Hey all,

I happily took the leap into marriage last June. We are both way too busy in the summer to take off for our honeymoon so we are shooting for early December. So far many have suggested St. Lucia as a great place to satisfy our criteria for fun - kiting, diving, nice beaches, good weather, etc.

I just wanted to pick the collective brains of the folks here that have some experience with the island. IE: best place to stay, places to avoid, good places for wind, must see/do attractions, and whatever beneficial tips. Any advice is appreciated!

(yes I'm aware of the SEARCH function)
:D

THANK YOU!
We are super stoked to go!

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: St. Lucia honeymoon in December.

Postby adamj2281 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:56 pm

I haven't been, but a lot of people have commented that Coconut Bay is ideal, all inclusive, near the airport, and kiting out front. I think Kiteboarding magazine had their camp there this year as well.

Here's a link on tripadvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... Lucia.html

It really depends if kiting is a major focus, or if a really nice, 5* hotel is. If you go there, let us know how it is, I'm thinking of heading that way

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster

Postby POACHER » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks Adam!

We have scoped out Coconut Bay as option #1. It seems plenty nice for our 10 day stay. We don't need 5 star, full bling. I just wanted to see if there's really an option I'm overlooking. Additionally, I wanted to hit up past kiter guests for kite spots!
:naughty:

LynchMob
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby LynchMob » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:59 pm

I have spent my last two NYE's in St. Lucia. Unfortunately the reasons to go to St. Lucia and kiting do not necessarily mix. My recommendation is to rent a house in Soufrière and get the full experience of the Pitons. You can rent a house w/maid and cook for much cheaper than a hotel and enjoy access to the same beaches and facilities as Jade Mountain and jalousie plantation for a fraction of the price. If you stay near the kiting destinations (Vieux Fort/Gros Islet) you might as well go to another island with better kiting.

I would use VRBO

Rented this one with friends last year although my GF and I rented a much smaller house with same view.

http://www.vrbo.com/214821

islandbound
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mille Lacs
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, St Lucia - 2 Elements and the Reef, Barbados, Bonaire, Keywest Flats - Smathers beach. Bonaire
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades and Nomads. 2011-2012. Cabrinha Caliber, Custom, Plasma. Jimmy Lewis Mod3 and Super Mod, Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Local Minnesota shop - Cabrinha Rider

Postby islandbound » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:25 pm

I have been to st Lucia twice in the last two years and highly recomend it for several reasons. The wind has always been good to us and you have 2 locations to kite on the south side of the island, a 3rd location on the North. So it really depends what you are looking for. Coconut bay is a decent all inclusive, we have heard the food is nothing great. It is true that any sight seeing is up North. Coconut bay does offer tours or you can rent a private driver for the day to escourt you around which is what we have done, typically you can get a driver for around 100 US for several hours.
As far as kiting you have Chris and crew with 2 Elements just up the beach, Joleene and the Reef just down from teh airport. The Reef has a restaurant, along with a new restaurant just down from the Reef that offered good food as well. We prefered the playground at 2 elements as it offered some shallowed, flatter water and rolling waves past the reef. I think you will enjoy the kiting and scene on the south end, the tourist attractions are in the center of the island and the night life up north. GOod luck!

UTDSL
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Anse De Sables, Vieux Fort, St. Lucia
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby UTDSL » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:53 pm

POACHER wrote:Hey all,

I happily took the leap into marriage last June. We are both way too busy in the summer to take off for our honeymoon so we are shooting for early December. So far many have suggested St. Lucia as a great place to satisfy our criteria for fun - kiting, diving, nice beaches, good weather, etc.

I just wanted to pick the collective brains of the folks here that have some experience with the island. IE: best place to stay, places to avoid, good places for wind, must see/do attractions, and whatever beneficial tips. Any advice is appreciated!
Hi Everybody,

I just popped in real quick to offer my two cents and some useful links that could enhance your trip and ease you navigation around the Island.

Option #1
You have many options regarding accomodation in the South. If you have the cash to fork out, and want a 3+ star all inclusive resort, I recommend Coconut Bay Resort. A nice choice particularly if you have kids coming along with you. They have baby sitting service and a water park and paint gun course for older kids. Plus, as the above poster mentioned 2elements Kite Surf is there, and they are 5 min outside the airport gates.

Option #2
Stay in the South (Vieux Fort), and rent your self an apartment for about US $60-70 per night. You can save money by filling up your fridge at the local market, preparing your own meals, going out to restaurants at your leisure instead of out of necessity, rent a car, have freedom to roam around and get to the beach (5-8 mins drive). Sort of like living in the community. Here is one place I would recommend.

Atlantic Breeze Apartment
http://uptodatestlucia.com/listing.php?id=763

Don't let the photo fool you. This is a good spot. About 8 min from the beach. The girl who runs this place is a Kite surfer and is part of the local kite community. She will take good care of you. Look at the images in the right column to get a view inside the place. Clean and organised.

The Reef Beach Huts
http://uptodatestlucia.com/listing.php?id=314

It's about the same price but alot less room. The plus side is, The Reef is a Kite surf Center, and they are located on the beach.

With some planning you can really get the best bang for your buck. First figure out what you want, how much you want to spend, go through this link and put a plan together.
http://uptodatestlucia.com/

Send a email if you have other questions.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster

Postby POACHER » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:30 pm

Wow, this is great. Thank you everyone for your input, it's sincerely appreciated. Keep the advice coming. We are going to book this before the month's end.

It's my duty to keep The Mrs. happy and smiling. The more she smiles, the more I get to kite!

snorr
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby snorr » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:46 pm

I like this thread...I too, am taking the plunge in August...gulp! Since this wedding is breaking me, money wise, we have to wait until Christmas/New Years to take a honeymoon.

We want to hit up 2-3 locations over the course of three weeks. St Lucia is definitely a candidate. All inclusives aside, what thoughts or experiences do folks traveling to kite destinations recommend - lug all my own kites and gear or rent the gear I need while down there? Thanks!

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Postby Jono 111 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Poacher - sent you a PM.

islandbound
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mille Lacs
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, St Lucia - 2 Elements and the Reef, Barbados, Bonaire, Keywest Flats - Smathers beach. Bonaire
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades and Nomads. 2011-2012. Cabrinha Caliber, Custom, Plasma. Jimmy Lewis Mod3 and Super Mod, Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Local Minnesota shop - Cabrinha Rider

Postby islandbound » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:25 pm

In regards to bringing gear, i always travel with mine and most people that I have met do. The great thing about St Lucia is the strong consistant winds. ALl you need is 2 kites and a board so very easy to travel with. Enjoy, looking to rebook St Lucia myself for the first part of Feb.

Return to “Kitesurfing”