My Race Board Has A Lot of Drag!

Forum for kitesurfers
bustingbladder
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My Race Board Has A Lot of Drag!

Postby bustingbladder » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:59 am

The fin boxes are straight as can be and the board is weighing in at 12 lbs. Front fins are canted about 3.5-5 degrees. Running Rista fins as well... It just seems like it drags through the water instead of gliding nicely without any resistance. What is the deal here folks? Should I go to a 0 canted fin to pick up some speed with less drag? Does the canting create drag? Will a 0 canted fin be faster and more fluid feeling than a canted out fin at say 5 degrees?

Thanks

BB
Last edited by bustingbladder on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: My Race Board Has a Ton of Drag!

Postby james » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:51 am

whats the board? front foot strap position could be too far forward and pushing the rockerd section down and stopping the board releasing fully, we need more info..

bustingbladder
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: My Race Board Has a Ton of Drag!

Postby bustingbladder » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:28 pm

Thanks James. It's a custom board modeled similar to the AA and Mikes lab. I do have a really wide stance, so you may be correct with the strap placement.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: My Race Board Has A Lot of Drag!

Postby james » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:54 pm

i think the rocker line/strap placement is the most ovious culprit, but fin size and cant/rake can have somethng to do with it too, the easiest thing to change though is strap position

The AA and Mikes lab are quite different though certainly in outline and probaly rocker too, i had an AA 59 for a while and the straps came all the way back on it to get it to lift as the rocker was quite flat,

what dimensions does your board have? is it custom home made or from a company?

surface finish is really the last thing to worry about in comparison to all the other variables so get them sorted first before sanding/painting

Return to “Kitesurfing”