Forum for kitesurfers
frenchkitemaniac
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wainman 6'1 Surf vs Firewire KFE

Postby frenchkitemaniac » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:09 am

Considering making the switch as I can't paddle the Wainman. Has too much rocker for me when surfing.
Is this worthwhile ?
Thx

average rider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Omaezaki, Chiba
Favorite Beaches: The windy ones with clean waves and no people
Style: waves
Gear: RRD

Re: Wainman 6'1 Surf vs Firewire KFE

Postby average rider » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:09 am

I love the firewire for kiting and surfing, such a beautiful shape, handles really well + all the usual claims about solid construction etc. Have had older Wainman boards and liked them but for me the firewire wins - but everything is personal.....

frenchkitemaniac
Medium Poster

Postby frenchkitemaniac » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:07 pm

Just thought I would post some info for those looking to make the switch.
I eventually sold my Wainman and bought a KFE. Have been riding it and surfing it in Mauritius over the past 10 days.
In a nutshell board is extremely balanced and very stable. Probably a bit more volume than I expected but not so much that it is a problem. Definitly less rocker than the Wainman which shows in the critical section of the wave but also much more responsive imo.
Surfed it twice in Tamarin Bay and was very pleasantly surprised. Clearly not as sharp as your regular performance surfboard but clearly does the trick as a one board travel option.
Main issue that I can see is solidity. Have dragged my Wainman on numerous trips and nver had so much as a dent. After 10 days in Mauritius this one already has some scars partly thanks to the baggage handlers at BA though... No heeld dent slthough I have been riding strapped 2/3 of time but numerous cracks on the rails.
Will see how that evolves with time.

Overall great option as a travel board if you surf as well. I do not regret the switch although I doubt this board will last more than a couple years.

average rider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Omaezaki, Chiba
Favorite Beaches: The windy ones with clean waves and no people
Style: waves
Gear: RRD

Postby average rider » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:55 am

I agree. Just to add, I tried my friend's KP1 5'11 recently.
At first I didn't like it, but once I got the hang of it I really liked it, really responsive and very fast in the turn, a little sad to go back to my old board... Not sure it would work so well for paddle surf unless you are very good but nice for strong wind kiting.

Return to “Kitesurfing”