Airush 2013 Team Series

Forum for kitesurfers
s29feb
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airush 2013 Team Series

Postby s29feb » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:49 am

jaysen5 wrote: have a 9m wave on pre order with my shop can't wait!!!
The 9m Wave is a very impressive kite. Thinking of the sessions I had on it still makes me smile :thumb:

jimmyck
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish Parks
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jimmyck » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:23 pm

how many pulleys does the Wave kite have?

do these kites have a lot of range? 9m to 6m seems like a big jump...

JcK

s29feb
Frequent Poster

Postby s29feb » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:53 pm

jimmyck wrote:how many pulleys does the Wave kite have?

do these kites have a lot of range? 9m to 6m seems like a big jump...

JcK
http://www.airush.com/2013/the-lab/kite-tech/

There are 3 per side (6 total) which sounds a lot but I think actually distributes load and movement more evenly i.e. not a load of pressure on one point to wear/fail. Again contrary to what you may think the three also give a lot more feel.... I'm sure there are design/technical/engineering reasons but all I knew is that it worked very very well.

As for range I only tried the 9m and had that out in the video above in about 20 knots avearge but had it out in about 30 in another session (locals on 7's) and I never touched the trim to depower it so and I reckon the 6m will easily work from there - the 6m One did for sure.

Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Schmidy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:31 am

Check out this quick video: Behind the Scenes of the 2013 Airush Team Series video. :D
Getting 4 very different team riders and styles together for 1 shoot.

Good fun!
Schmidy :thumb:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:09 am

peterheirman wrote:@s29feb
In the video you are testing a wave kite with a twintip on micro waves (<75 cm) ???
No very convincing.
That I can even do with old school high jump kites (Best Nemesis HP 2008)

For a test you need to have and wave board, 3m waves and about 30 knots side on shore - then test the drifting ability of the kite and turning ability when riding down the slope of the wave (fast downwind and hope the kite turns).

Jumping ability:
In most cases kites that jump well are not the best for wave riding as they pull to hard during turns which is especially hard riding in switch stance trying to stay on the wave in a gusty wind. Normally these jumping kites pull you off the wave due to their power and speed.

Yeh righto' buddy, like we all go out in 9 foot waves, with a 30 knot cross-shore wind :nono: d.

Any more reviews on the wave ???

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:42 am

Westozzy wrote: Any more reviews on the wave ???
http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfin ... 0&start=45

I had the 6,9,12 out on a good day last thrs, and the 9m is probably the most impressive mainstream kite I have ever used... I highly rate it.

The 6 and 12 are very good for waveriding - they give exactly what you need to make the most use of your rail in very light or very windy conditions...

But the 9m takes huge chunks of their wind range and it has the biggest sweet spot you can imagine. If I had to own one kite (for me) this is the one kite I would get without hesitation. It's getting some epic feedback in the UK and the kite is about to be reviewed in Kiteworld very soon. I think they have the same opinion as I...

Without getting technical -
The 9 offers the most incredible easy athleticism in a huge wind range - in a way that lets you forget about anything from the waist up. The fastest, easiest and most alive kite I have used, and it's total plug and play.

SO much fun!

Eyes down and rail in...

If you have the chance to try, get on it...

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:40 pm

MikeBirt wrote:
Westozzy wrote: Any more reviews on the wave ???
http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfin ... 0&start=45

I had the 6,9,12 out on a good day last thrs, and the 9m is probably the most impressive mainstream kite I have ever used... I highly rate it.

The 6 and 12 are very good for waveriding - they give exactly what you need to make the most use of your rail in very light or very windy conditions...

But the 9m takes huge chunks of their wind range and it has the biggest sweet spot you can imagine. If I had to own one kite (for me) this is the one kite I would get without hesitation. It's getting some epic feedback in the UK and the kite is about to be reviewed in Kiteworld very soon. I think they have the same opinion as I...

Without getting technical -
The 9 offers the most incredible easy athleticism in a huge wind range - in a way that lets you forget about anything from the waist up. The fastest, easiest and most alive kite I have used, and it's total plug and play.

SO much fun!

Eyes down and rail in...

If you have the chance to try, get on it...

Well mike have lined one up over here. Tuesday probably, can't wait! Didn't realise so many pulleys, interesting indeed. Will post my thoughts once I've had a play. Did I say I can't wait.

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:20 am

Good on you, take you favourite throw around board and see how much rail you can get in!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:51 am

MikeBirt wrote:Good on you, take you favourite throw around board and see how much rail you can get in!

Well gonna try it on a sector a mutant and shinn monk and a custom surf board. So should get a good idea of what it can do. :lol:

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:41 am

Westozzy wrote:Well gonna try it on a sector a mutant and shinn monk and a custom surf board. So should get a good idea of what it can do. :lol:
Perfect - I'd be really interested to see what you think as it's design brief is rails and corners, but on a twin or mutant it's still one of my favourite fun kites... Before you judge it's jumping, make sure you try it fully powered up. Character changes when you really get some wind on it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”