A better spreader? (fixed not sliding)

Forum for kitesurfers
Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A better spreader? (fixed not sliding)

Postby Brent4336 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Just snapped my second standard dakine 10 inch spreader bar in two years. They both gave at the weld between the hook itself and the bar. First one only gave on one side so I could gingerly ride back to shore, but this latest one just went PING and dissapeared. Wasn't that far out and swam in. Had a piece of dynema and an ss ring in the car so rigged up a sliding system to get back out on the water and it worked fine, but I gotta say I dont like being locked in. Is there a forged spreader bar or composite spreader bar on the market? Freaks me out that a spreader can go on you without warning.
Last edited by Brent4336 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: A better spreader?

Postby Bille » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:55 pm

Brent4336 wrote: ...
Had a piece of dynema and an ss ring in the car so rigged up a sliding system to get back out on the water and it worked fine,...
And how did you like the sliding system ?

You probably know where This is going ..................................................................V-7.
The 13 inch wide one that i use is SO0ooooo comfortable !!!

321 kiteboarding has it :
http://www.321kiteboarding.com/Dynabar- ... -Base.html

Bille

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:12 pm

It was OK. Only took a few tacks to get over the initial change in sensation at the bar, but it adds one more layer of mushyness to the feel of the kite. Was like going from a C to a bridled kite with pulleys only one step farther. I am plenty happy with the feel of bridled kites these days so maybe with a bit more time I would be fine with the feel of the sliding system, but there is definitely less direct communication between rider and kite. Comfortable enough but I'm not sure I felt uncomfortable with a traditional spreader. I'll try it again on a day with better waves for a longer time. Didn't like being shackled, so if its something I grow to like I'd go the full hog and buy the dynabar just for the option to unhook. Thats my defacto response when things go bad and I kind of like it that way. Unhooking is also a great way to milk some more fun out of small conditions... the vast majority of summer sessions.

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby acctx » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:23 pm

the standard dynabar v7 comes with a dyneema "bar" is that bar ok or is it necessary to upgrade to one of the metal bars?

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:08 pm

Not against discussing Dynabars, but not what I'm asking about. Even If I get a dynabar someday I'm always going to want a fixed spreader for TT riding. Dont really want to make this another thread about or advertising for them as there are a few in the bank for people interested in em.

I posted because I noted the different looking spreader Susi is sporting in this pic. Having had two pop now without any noticeable signs of impending failure I would like to get something better if its out there. Searched the Cab site with no mention of it. Anyone seen it? know anything about it or any other designs out there?

http://kitemovement.com/wp-content/uplo ... 8505_n.jpg

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:56 am

Brent4336 wrote:Searched the Cab site with no mention of it. Anyone seen it? know anything about it or any other designs out there?
I think the harness Susi is wearing in that pic is either one of the new harnesses coming out from NP Surf...
http://boards.mpora.com/news/np-collect ... inent.html
www.npsurf.com
or it's a new harness from her new signature collection for 2013 called Siren.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Re: A better spreader? (fixed not sliding)

Postby dyyylan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:16 am

I've really only heard of these issues from dakine. maybe just try a mystic/liquid force/etc harness?

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:48 am

Brent4336 wrote:Just snapped my second standard dakine 10 inch spreader bar in two years. They both gave at the weld between the hook itself and the bar. First one only gave on one side so I could gingerly ride back to shore, but this latest one just went PING and dissapeared. Wasn't that far out and swam in. Had a piece of dynema and an ss ring in the car so rigged up a sliding system to get back out on the water and it worked fine, but I gotta say I dont like being locked in. Is there a forged spreader bar or composite spreader bar on the market? Freaks me out that a spreader can go on you without warning.
Get off Da Kine spreaders/ hook crap....it has happened to everyone...old news

Now if you got washboard 6 pack abs i will suggest you Mystic Warrior II or III
Hook is unbreakable off the spreader....and will stay in position over your waistline...zero riding up
Make sure you get correct size....size small is for waist size 30 to 32...i am 31

................... :surf: :sun: ...i know you do not care much for Supa....that's my 2 cents anyway.... :thumb:

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:05 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
Brent4336 wrote:Just snapped my second standard dakine 10 inch spreader bar in two years. They both gave at the weld between the hook itself and the bar. First one only gave on one side so I could gingerly ride back to shore, but this latest one just went PING and dissapeared. Wasn't that far out and swam in. Had a piece of dynema and an ss ring in the car so rigged up a sliding system to get back out on the water and it worked fine, but I gotta say I dont like being locked in. Is there a forged spreader bar or composite spreader bar on the market? Freaks me out that a spreader can go on you without warning.
Get off Da Kine spreaders/ hook crap....it has happened to everyone...old news

Now if you got washboard 6 pack abs i will suggest you Mystic Warrior II or III
Hook is unbreakable off the spreader....and will stay in position over your waistline...zero riding up
Make sure you get correct size....size small is for waist size 30 to 32...i am 31
yeah? i'm a 31 waist as well and tried the medium shadow and didn't really like it, but I think it was just too big. im pretty happy with my small dakine renegade from 2010 i think but i'm worried about the spreader bar breaking and it does ride up a bit unless i'm riding (proper technique keeps it down for me but standing on the beach etc it is a chest harness)

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:33 pm

dyyylan wrote: it is a chest harness
When you said that it brought back memories.....from 1984 :thumb:
I had a Windsurfing Hawaii chest harness purple color
It was the perfect harness in waves when on my F2 Starlit windsurf board

.............................. :surf: :sun: .................................................................................................................

Return to “Kitesurfing”