Style: Freeride, waves
Gear: Ozone, Wainman, various boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

obsession vs bandit 5 vs renegade

Postby DJwilson » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:01 pm

Good evening,

So I m in the market for a new kite, and was wondeing what you all thought about these three potential candidates.

Currently ride 9m smoke and 13m edge, both of which do me just fine. The smoke is a great all rounder, and will stay my go to kite for the waves and down winders, but I want this new kite to give e a bit more pep, be a little faster, and provide better lift. Am more of an old schooler in terms of riding style, but want a degree of versatility for those times when can only travel with one kite.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts chaps.
Wilson

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Re: obsession vs bandit 5 vs renegade

Postby Jbrook » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:40 pm

The Obsessions sound like they might be for you. They have a huge wind range, I weigh 84 kilos and I am usually the first person my size going down to 7mtr kite from my 9 where I live in brasil. Obsession jumps great, super fun to fly, good looper, kinda does it all.

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Postby salvino » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:00 pm

I have the new smoke and new 2012 9m obsession and I really like ther rrd. It moves sooo well thru the air that it inspires me to try all new stuff. The wainman is great kite, just a little slower and not as lively.
Sal

DJwilson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South coast UK
Favorite Beaches: Nappeague, USA
Paros, GREECE
Wissand, FRANCE
Alvor, PORTUGAL
Style: Freeride, waves
Gear: Ozone, Wainman, various boards

Postby DJwilson » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:09 am

I thought as much. The RRD does sound like a sweet kite. Higher aspect and quicker in most respects. I loved the old Royal kites so if they have any of that DNA left in them then should be good. Not sure what the bandit is all about though - is it an all round cruiser/drifter/booster? Not quite sure what it is meant to excel at.

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:55 pm

I have the Bandit V's. Have tried the new Obs in12m. And used to ride Obsessions myself in 2009 and 2010 (rode Hadlow Pro) in 2011. The Bandit is the best kite of the two.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:59 pm

I can tell you anything you want to know about the Renegades but have not flown the other two.
Let me know if you want to know more, don't want to sound pimpy.

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone

Postby mr moon » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:21 pm

I used to fly Obsessions since 2008 when I started. I would stay away from the 2012 7m as it tends to loop when release the CL instead to depower, I only had this problem with the 7m, nothing with the 9 or 12m. They are very nippy and fast but probably not too stable in strong gusty winds, and the chicken loop is badly designed as the donkey dick is weak and can either snap or come off when you least expect.. see my accident here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2344919&start=150
Another problem with the Obsessions is the depower, not good enough if you let the bar go.. and if you QR you still have power on them which is pretty scary in strong winds.
I'd go for the bandits, they seem to have good reviews. I'm looking into it myself as I like boosting and flying but also waves. But now for me it's all about safety and safety systems, so I'll have to give the Cabrinha IDS system a go and possibly North too with the five line depower flagging..
Last edited by mr moon on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:12 am

Currently ride 9m smoke and 13m edge, both of which do me just fine. The smoke is a great all rounder, and will stay my go to kite for the waves and down winders, but I want this new kite to give e a bit more pep, be a little faster, and provide better lift. Am more of an old schooler in terms of riding style, but want a degree of versatility for those times when can only travel with one kite.
Hello Mr.DJwilson
Since you have the Smoke 9m and the 13 Edge I would not recommend the RENEGADE kites just because they are in the same category of kites then the ones you have. You see me personally the RENEGADES are my wave kites but most people love them for their all around kiting.
If you are looking for a higher aspect kite check the SCREAMERS instead. Now this is the kite if you are looking for big jumps, big hang time, big pop, in few words if you want to go big that's the kite. I have not tried the new BANDIT 5 so I can't comment on that kite. But I have tried the RRD and the OCEAN RODEO kites and you can't go wrong either.
But check this video. All the flat water riding is on the Screamers and the wave riding is on the Renegade.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:05 am

DJ-
I used to have a Boss 12M and it was a great kite, but I felt the same way you do about it, good for everything else, but not a great booster.
If you want something similar sized to the Smoke 9M but more peppy and ballsy and a super boosty.... The Screamer 9M and the Screamer 10M LTD Edition are the biggest boosting kites I have ever been on. A buddy of mine got an Edge 11M recently and I tested it, and thought it was a good jumper but it needed lots of speed to go high.
The Screamers have just massive boost and float.
I like the Screamer 10M LTD Edition best of all the Screamers. The range seems bigger on this one.
It is not the same shape as the regular Screamers, it's more C shaped and has more square corners, I like the way those things make it turn and climb as it comes around, and it sucks up gusts better.
And it comes only in baddass black like a Smoke!!

skinnergy
Medium Poster

Postby skinnergy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:07 am

I'd go for the B5.
Fone has been refining the Bandit for 5 years now and amazingly the kite gets better every year.
As always, if you get a chance to test the kites then do it, but if not then i recommend the B5.

Return to “Kitesurfing”