JandoF
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lexan (polycarbonate) as a bottom/top sheet

Postby JandoF » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:58 am

Hi

I would like to use a lexan film 0.007” as bottom/top sheet for my kiteboard as here in Mexico seems impossible to find Durasurf or PBT and I have try to work with PETG but it is to heavy at 0.020” (which is as thinnest that I can get here) and I found that PETG (lost its flexibility after the resin is cure it tends to break if you bend it)

And lexan is an interesting material for its high impact strength, its transparency, anti-UV treatment and the possibility of applying killer graphics.

But I can seem to find way to make a successfully bond. I'm using a pneumatic press at 80psi (kind like a snowboard) using epoxy + fiberglass and I try to flame treatment this film with a flame torch but nothing (maybe I'm doing it wrong)

with PETG I have success doing it this flame treatment by hand but I'm sure there is a better way to do it, right?

I hear something about chemical Etching but don't know how its done or if it works on Lexan

the main reason I want to work with a strong material is because I want to hit rails and kickers whit it.

other options I have in my country is to use

Polyester film 0.005”
PVC film 0.010”
PET film 0.008”

does anybody can help me a Little anything would be great

Thanks!!!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Lexan (polycarbonate) as a bottom/top sheet

Postby plummet » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:19 am

hmmm sounds interesting. let me know if you discover a method to bond it.

I presume you have tried a bog standard course sand to check it in and epoxy resin it to the board?

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:50 pm

I suppose you don't care about any type of graphics on the bottom? Lexan Plexiglass is highly sensitive to impact strong scratches and marrs extremely easily. the thicker you go the better think ICE HOCKEY those are pushing 1.5" to 2" and need a crane to lift them. Not really a weight reducer

Another thing I've seen in the industry lately is these lexan fins. TOTAL GARBAGE do not even think about them they are terrible broke first time out. G10 glass is great lexan can't stand up to the side pressures exerted.

Last thought for your idea of hitting rails and such is UHMW It doesn't wear ever with metal contact its so soft but yet hard and doesnt deform at all. I think the snowboard bases are made with a derivative of this material and is sold in sheets that can be molded and cut with ease.

Delrin is another option but i'm unaware if sold in sheets its typically used for high wearing conveyors that transport items such as beer bottles and other high speed production conveyors.

Lexan needs an acrylic bond that melts and fuses it together. Unaware if it sticks to other materials but superglue is excellent for fusing the materials together there are some other industrial adhesives that are similar.

I think you're on to something great bringing the technologies of snowboarding and traditional water board building. :thumb:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:21 pm

Methylene Chloride is what we use in the shop but this only works from plastic to plastic and even then will eventually separate.

JandoF
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JandoF » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:25 pm

Craz Z wrote:I suppose you don't care about any type of graphics on the bottom? Lexan Plexiglass is highly sensitive to impact strong scratches and marrs extremely easily.
:thumb:
Plexiglass (acrylic) and Lexan (polycarbonate) are two different worlds,,, plexiglass is like you said very sensitive to impact it breaks by only looking at them,,, but lexan is another story there are even cars with lexan windows ballistic proof.
Craz Z wrote: Last thought for your idea of hitting rails and such is UHMW It doesn't wear ever with metal contact its so soft but yet hard and doesnt deform at all. I think the snowboard bases are made with a derivative of this material and is sold in sheets that can be molded and cut with ease.
:thumb:
Yep Durasurf is UHMW and it is flame treated from frabrict to bond to epoxy so it would be perfect but the dudes that distributes crowndplatics here at mexico are just a bunch of assholes and don't wanted to sell me this product. they dont even want te sell me a roll :cry:

thanks anyway I let you guys know what I found and how it works

:bye:

Return to “Gear Builders”