All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Safety Release Reflex (SRR) please read!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:59 pm 
Frequent Poster

Ned Divine wrote:
windybrit wrote:
This is a very interesting topic, like many others I'm sure, I have had times when I've wondered about releasing but have never yet needed to in an emergency.
It's a question of making something a common enough action to become almost instinctive. Once an experienced kiter told me that he always packed his gear with the C/L undone, he reasoned that way he was forced to think about a reconnect and test of his safety system every time he used his gear. perhaps not a perfect solution but perhaps not without some merit?

I always activate the QR as soon as a helper has grabbed the kite during landing. It is safe if things go wrong, it builds muscle memory for finding it in an emergency (SRR), it keeps it from sticking closed due to salt, sand etc. I then also leave it undone when I roll the lines so that I reassemble it just before launching, which a good chance to bring it back to memory and ensure that it is blown free of sand and debris.
Also, the mere act of assembling a formerly activated QR is a reminder of the whole safety issue (keeping distance, checking gear, observing the weather etc etc) which we tend to forget hyped by good wind, friends, waves etc. Such a reminder of the safety issue just before a session may make the difference between taking foolish risks and riding safely.

I genuinely think that this is a really clever thing to do! :idea: :idea: :idea:
Well done buddy!

[ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5