Medium Poster
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Corecell

Postby Danydan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:26 am

Hello everyone,
I am getting ready, slowly but surely, to start building my first kiteboard (as my plan to make a surfboard failed lamentably). A couple more screws on my rocker table and I will be good to go :D

I got some corecell from one of my friend but don't know what the density is... I am trying to find some A500 corecell from Noahsboatbuilding.com but can't find any... Is there a big difference on the final result (of the board) if I use T600 or T800 instead? Also, given the fact that I am planning to use 3 layers of fiberglass cloth (6 oz but not sure if it is E-glass or S-glass (I guess it is the badside of getting some stuff from friends) with epoxy on each side of the board, can I make a board using tinner corecell (like 6MM or 9.5MM) without having to reinforce the center of the board or having to glue two layers together.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Dany

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Corecell

Postby gbleck » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:56 am

Density should be easy. If it's a nice rectangle it's as simple as mass divided by the product of length by width by thickness. Corecell 300 is 3.00 lb/ft^3.

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:05 pm

S glass is a waste of money

corecell 500 or higher, dont get the precut stuff itll soak up tons of resin

min 12mm between feet

at least 3 layers 6 oz, lots of people have luck with that, personally IMO its weak, id use 4 on the topsheet, use 20 oz triax. its stronger by a long shot and is in the end cheaper and simpler. only drawback is more air bubbles cuz of the coarsers weave

SCOUNDREL8
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Leo, Zuma, occasionally belmont

Postby SCOUNDREL8 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:04 pm

Are you saying that the board should be 1/2" thick at the footstraps. About to start my board and was planning on 1/4 all the way across. 1/2" seems really thick.

swim82
Rare Poster

Postby swim82 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:16 pm

SCOUNDREL8 wrote:Are you saying that the board should be 1/2" thick at the footstraps. About to start my board and was planning on 1/4 all the way across. 1/2" seems really thick.
if i remember correctly, my fone acid (great board by the way) is 11mm thick in the middle and it is a wood core board, 6.4mm (1/4 inch) is very thin. 1/2 an inch is maybe just a little thick but a lot closer to what you need.

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:50 am

my boards are 16mm corecell. tapered for flex of course. 1/2 inch is too flexy for my taste (and those who ride my boards

sprockett
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ruakaka Beach, One tree point,......
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines
Gear: Nobile, Flexifoil, Sprockett Boards
Brand Affiliation: Sprockett Boards (owner)

Postby sprockett » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Board thickness... How are you going to attach footpads..
What thickness are your Teenuts? Base board thickness on this.
Thick between footpads, this is where the board needs to be stiff.

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards

Postby Bigdog » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:08 pm

In an ideal situation your inserts would perfectly match the core thickness. But with a smaller insert you can use any method you want to get it deep enough. I like the security of my inserts attached to the bottom. If they come out then your acl does too LOL.

I agree about the keep it thick or stiff between the feet. But there is so much you can do with flex at the tips that you need to play with that area and thin it out to the point of ridiculous... makes a comfy ride.

Also you can add uni carbon to achieve stiffness on a thinner core but that is a pita. Use the core thickness to achieve you flex if you can get the right materials.

Corecell A500 is good but on TT I would go for the 600 or 800. The weight gain is nada compared to the compression resistance you get on the stiffer blend.

Stan

Return to “Gear Builders”