Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

High Speed Cameras for slowmos?

Postby Toby » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:27 pm

what are the cameras similar to the Sony NEX FS700 ?

Thanks
Toby

2extremes
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: High Speed Cameras for slowmos?

Postby 2extremes » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:32 pm

Nothing really the NEX FS700

shoots 240 at 1080p if you have a bigger budget the red epic or phantom will give you amazing visuals.

We have an FS700 coming in to the office soon can't wait to try it out.

If you are after slow motion on the cheap. SLR shooting 60fps with the shutter speed cranked up for sharpness and then using twixtor to slow down. Unfortunately doing this in the water is hard but any shots of kiters and blue sky should come out quite nicely.

https://vimeo.com/17439665

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Postby WildDuke » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:12 am

OK, Good thread.

I just bought a Sony HDR-GW77VE camcorder to use on holiday coming up. It records at 1080 60p. As does the NEX FS700, and I am no means comparing the two cameras, however I'm not sure what the point of a camera that has the ability to record 60fps or greater, if when you import it into video editing software and its reduced to 30fps. Sure, lovely to be able to shoot 960fps, but how are you supposed to use that in a editing program. I know that I sound incredibly nieve and I am sorry to ask a silly question, but I am really keen to learn about this new medium but I dont know where to get information. I am not trying to hijack tobys thread BTW. We can talk about specifics of high frame rate editing on another thread, just wondering why should we buy super fast cameras if our editing software cant cope?

Delmar78
Medium Poster
Gear: F-One B6 and SS Fuel
Tablas boards

Postby Delmar78 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:57 am

WildDuke wrote:OK, Good thread.

I just bought a Sony HDR-GW77VE camcorder to use on holiday coming up. It records at 1080 60p. As does the NEX FS700, and I am no means comparing the two cameras, however I'm not sure what the point of a camera that has the ability to record 60fps or greater, if when you import it into video editing software and its reduced to 30fps. Sure, lovely to be able to shoot 960fps, but how are you supposed to use that in a editing program. I know that I sound incredibly nieve and I am sorry to ask a silly question, but I am really keen to learn about this new medium but I dont know where to get information. I am not trying to hijack tobys thread BTW. We can talk about specifics of high frame rate editing on another thread, just wondering why should we buy super fast cameras if our editing software cant cope?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_motion

2extremes
Rare Poster

Postby 2extremes » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:58 pm

To keep it simple as frame rate is sightly different between pal and ntsc.
Pretty much all films are edited in a 24fps timeline, it's what helps give it that film look.

if you have footage at 240fps you can slow that sown by x10 (making it 24fps) to give and you will still get a smooth slow mo.

There is software that can work out and add extra frames in however you usually find the footage has wierd warping effects, especially when used on something such as water.

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Postby WildDuke » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:54 pm

2extremes wrote:

To keep it simple as frame rate is sightly different between pal and ntsc.
Pretty much all films are edited in a 24fps timeline, it's what helps give it that film look.

if you have footage at 240fps you can slow that sown by x10 (making it 24fps) to give and you will still get a smooth slow mo.

There is software that can work out and add extra frames in however you usually find the footage has wierd warping effects, especially when used on something such as water.

Ahh, ok, so from a quality perpective its preferable to use a camera that can capture the most number of frame rates. Does that mean you'd have to slow down the footage to 24fps BEFORE you put it in an editing program like FCP or imovie?

2extremes
Rare Poster

Postby 2extremes » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:36 pm

It depends on the editing program, for me I slow me if i shoot 60fps i edit it raw in after effects slow it down using twixtor then export out to 24fps a.

Then I keep all the same style of footage in my final cut timeline

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:43 am

Hey guys as a matter of fact I just got my hands on Twixstor for a project (unfortunately no kiteboarding related), does anyone have some seriously high speed footage (a few secs will suffice) that can be weTransfered to me for testing?

tnx in advance.

Return to “Kitesurfing”