out for 3 weeks :(

Forum for kitesurfers
eitan80
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: out for 3 weeks :(

Postby eitan80 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:34 am

So you can not "give the finger" now, lol :)

Mine is sholder dislocation (3 times) :(

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maiden Cay , Jamaica
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)
Style: Freeride learning Freestyle
Gear: 2011 Cabrinha 10 Switchblade ... 2012 Cabrinha Chopstick
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby MattyRossJa » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:45 am

so it's been 5 weeks since i first got bandaged up ( almost 7 weeks since the injury) , still can't bend the finger , doc sending me to orthopaedic surgeon to see what's really wrong , this sucks donkey balls ... appointment is tomorrow , wish me luck :(

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:23 am

Good luck!
8)

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)

Postby MattyRossJa » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:12 pm

so apparently it's an infection , so i'm on antibiotics + painkillers + physio ... so not only can i not kite , but now i can't drink either , great

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster

Postby MattyRossJa » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:10 pm

The ortho surgeon said i was lucky i still had my finger as the infection was diagnosed soo late ...

i am still doing physio and havn't had a lot of progress over the past 6 weeks , the infection reallyyyyy damaged the finger ligaments+tendons etc. This is hard ... i've kited once (when i shouldn't have) , but had no issues , just had to keep the damaged finger straight

WORD OF CAUTION TO ALL FELLOW KITERS !!!

TAKE SEA URCHINS/EGGS SERIOUSLY , I have never had an issue with urchins , usually cut them out myself or over time they fall out/dissolve, but this one (maybe due to the entry location of the spines) almost cost me my finger

I'd suggest anyone who kites in areas with urchins, have what i call an "urchin/minor injury medic kit" whenever you go kiting.

verkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Any beach with wind, warm water, beautiful women and cold beer

Postby verkiter » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:04 pm

Stepped on a razor clam or possibly a broken bottle. Went right through the booties to the bone. Out 4 weeks.
Gonna put SuperFeet insoles in my booties when I get back out. The bottom of them are hard plastic and they fit inside my O'neill Superfreaks nicely
Attachments
IMG_2192.JPG

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:48 am

my wife is an injury when I buy a new equipment or go away for kiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:33 am

If you have a reasonably small number of sea urchin spines and a friendly ear-nose-throat or eye doctor, he/she can remove the spines in a few minutes with the help of his microscope and microinstruments. It is good fun for the doctor and doesn't hurt at all. The quicker the spines come out the less likely for infection to develop.
As far as superficial disinfection is concerned for wounds, it's benefit is doubtful. It doesn't matter to do it for as long as it is preceded by what really makes a difference which is mechanical clearance from debris, using running tap water (or sterile water if available).
If infection starts to appear (redness, swelling, pain, foul smell, fluid discharge) then early medical treatment will help prevent gross infection. Infection is a bit like forest fire, a small delay to start treatment has a great effect in the amount of time and effort needed to win over it.
Get well soon everybody, it is a pain to be in pain!
(my worst injury so far, a broken rib from accidental kiteloop while learning to frontloop 1-2 years ago)

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster

Postby MattyRossJa » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:28 pm

Ned Divine wrote:If you have a reasonably small number of sea urchin spines and a friendly ear-nose-throat or eye doctor, he/she can remove the spines in a few minutes with the help of his microscope and microinstruments. It is good fun for the doctor and doesn't hurt at all. The quicker the spines come out the less likely for infection to develop.
As far as superficial disinfection is concerned for wounds, it's benefit is doubtful. It doesn't matter to do it for as long as it is preceded by what really makes a difference which is mechanical clearance from debris, using running tap water (or sterile water if available).
If infection starts to appear (redness, swelling, pain, foul smell, fluid discharge) then early medical treatment will help prevent gross infection. Infection is a bit like forest fire, a small delay to start treatment has a great effect in the amount of time and effort needed to win over it.
Get well soon everybody, it is a pain to be in pain!
(my worst injury so far, a broken rib from accidental kiteloop while learning to frontloop 1-2 years ago)
yeh i agree on the "ear-nose-throat doctor" ... learnt my lesson ... will definitely be more proactive in treating urchin 'wounds' in the future. although i did consult my doctor 2 weeks aftersustaining the injury once my finger was swollen to the point i couldnt bend it . She thought it was joint damage and not infection. Hopefully paranoia in the future wont lead me to begging for antibiotics any time i get urchins, try to stay away from antibiotics unless it's NEEEEEEDED

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster

Postby MattyRossJa » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:07 am

So this injury still isn't healed. I have about 70% mobility in the finger and pain trying to pass that 70% threshold.

So it's been a real crappy year, Dislocated my shoulder the day after my last day of work and a week before christmas. Could have been an amazing 6 weeks as the wind is back nicely here in Jamaica.

So question. Anyone ever dislocated a shoulder before, and by experience what was the healing time and any discomfort after being 'fully healed'.

Mine partially dislocated upon waking up in an awkward position at 3am in the morning after a day of kiting. The pain was immense, never felt anything like it. Luckily it popped out and popped back in, wasn't a full dislocation.

Regards

Return to “Kitesurfing”