Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Shinn Dundee size?

Forum for kitesurfers
sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Shinn Dundee size?

Postby sarc » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:04 am

I'm looking to buy this board, 90Kg and like to ride not too powered up for freeriding, old school and waveriding (my other board is North Whip), 35 to 20knots. Normally I would not buy a 44x135 board, but if someone like Shinn says I should (in his website...) , I'd like to get some experience from other Dundee owners! Thanks

MMac22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SC
Style: Surf
Gear: North kites, Tomo boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Shinn Dundee size?

Postby MMac22 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:05 pm

I'm about your size and own a Whip & Dundee. Since the Whip can also be used in light winds, I'd say get the Dundee in the 42 size.

coyoteface
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby coyoteface » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:57 am

Get the 133x42 or bigger. I ride the 133 at 165#/~75kg and find that since it is an amazing wave board it doesnt have quite the low end as you might think. I am contemplating about selling my 135x44 monk and getting another dundee to replace it as i love it that much. My feeling is you will get more use out of the 135 at your weight, also it is as smooth as silk for me while riding 30mph+ so you dont need to worry of going to big on these boards. just my opinion-good luck!

casahan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Guillermo
Isla Blanca
Nusa Dua, Bali
Cabarete
Surf Beach, Muine, Vietnam
Wasaga
Style: Freeride
Gear: Fat Lady
Waroo 15, Kahoona 13.5
Crossbow 12, Shockwave 12
Convert 9
Glide / Underground FLX 132

Postby casahan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:44 am

Need advise from Shinn masters...
Im debating from 2013 Dundee 135x44 & Gintronic 136x42

Im 160 lb, looking for semi-light wind / everyday board with 13.5m Kohoona for 11~15 kts so i can leave Fat Lady & Glide home and travel light overseas.
Low end & effortless upwind that can also rideable gusty 18 ish kt is what i want
I do mostly freeride in chop.
I know getting bigger board for Shinn seems waste but i need that low end.
44 cm width on Dundee seem promising for low end, just afraid it may feel bit skatey for my weight on sub 18 kt.
Which one should. I go with ??

kitenaked
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island - NorCal
Area 51
Style: not naked
Brand Affiliation: Kite Naked, JN Kites, Cabrinha, Shinn & Wainman

Postby kitenaked » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:49 am

Gintronic is good board for light wind and i was on 41 wide.

42 is a solid choice for you.

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:48 am

90kg is prbably 44 wide, but if you have light wind options, and you ride medium to fast speeds then the 42 will do fine.. I'm 83 and do like the 42 but will use smaller as well.

160lb (72kg) is light..
129 x 39.4
131 x 41

would be my call for an allround board. The 42 will go extremely early, but at 72kg you may prefer more control when you have power.. If you are going to use this board in power with speed and want to enjoy it then I would go 41.. but if you need majority lightwind ability then 42, but 44 would be too far I feel..

windtzu
Medium Poster

Re: Shinn Dundee size?...MIke Birt Question ;)

Postby windtzu » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:14 pm

This is a Mike Birt question :D I bought a 133 x 42 Dundee from a friend. I'm liking it! Weighing in at 73 kg (160 lbs) I was initially concerned about it's size in 20 plus conditions. At first it wasn't an issue right up to 28 knots. Now that I find myself riding faster and harder, I find the 133 a little big.

Being more of an all around design, and correct me if I"m wrong, but I get the sense that having a bigger board (133 Dundee) doesn't necessarily qualify it as a light wind machine. And in the process, I lose too much on the high end for the few knots on the low end, thus narrowing it's range for light riders like myself. I get the feeling that the 133 isn't so much a light wind board for lightweights as it is more of an all around size for bigger riders.

I believe I'd get better range and comfort with a size or two smaller. The question is would it make that much of a difference to jump to 131 x 41? ... Can 1 cm in width make that much of a difference? I'm considering the 129 x 39.5 but don't necessarily want a high wind only board.

I have a 135 x 39 North X-Ride that has great range, but it doesn't have as nice a ride as the Dundee. I'm using this board as a reference.

Thanks again!

Thanks

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Re: Shinn Dundee size?...MIke Birt Question ;)

Postby MikeBirt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:40 am

windtzu wrote:This is a Mike Birt question :D I bought a 133 x 42 Dundee from a friend. I'm liking it! Weighing in at 73 kg (160 lbs) I was initially concerned about it's size in 20 plus conditions. At first it wasn't an issue right up to 28 knots. Now that I find myself riding faster and harder, I find the 133 a little big.
That's normal.. if you push the board speed up at high power loads, then it starts to overpower your ankles and flatten out...
windtzu wrote:Being more of an all around design, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the sense that having a bigger board (133 Dundee) doesn't necessarily qualify it as a light wind machine. And in the process, I lose too much on the high end for the few knots on the low end, thus narrowing it's range for light riders like myself. I get the feeling that the 133 isn't so much a light wind board for lightweights as it is more of an all around size for bigger riders.
It's not like it's designed that way, but from your weight I can see how you can see it that way.. and you are right.. But at early stages in the sport 42 will be a perfect size for you to get going and you'd make 2x the progress in the time given..

windtzu wrote:I believe I'd get better range and comfort with a size or two smaller. The question is would it make that much of a difference to jump to 131 x 41? ... Can 1 cm in width make that much of a difference? I'm considering the 129 x 39.5 but don't necessarily want a high wind only board.
You weigh 73kg, go for the 40 wide, no question. 1cm does not make that much difference to what you use at the moment and where you are in the sport. It's time to get the right size for your weight, and that is 40 wide..
windtzu wrote:I have a 135 x 39 North X-Ride that has great range, but it doesn't have as nice a ride as the Dundee. I'm using this board as a reference.
It's the same size as the 40 wide dundee more or less, but from the perspective of your weight the feel of the dundee will actually improve as the size drops to your ideal of 40 wide.. so the 40 should feel (to you) a lot better than the 42 does. If you like the 42, you'll like the 40 more...

windtzu
Medium Poster

Postby windtzu » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:31 pm

You're the best Mike. Thanks for the recommendation! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”