Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

List of questions for Ken Winner

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:44 pm

The Rhino seems to depower when I pull in while in the chicken loop on jumps. It seems that it is oversheeting, as the tips flare out and I feel less power than more after a certain point of sheeting in. If adjust the Trim loop in (pull it down more) to minimize the sheeting capabilty when the bar is fully pulled in, then I may be underpowered except when almost fully sheeted. Any suggestions for this problem? Thanks

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:51 pm

I hear that Wipika and North are made in the same factory in China. Is this true? If so, it would seem that the two kites should be similiar in quality control and probably in materials use, even though design may be different. I noticed that the material used in the Wipika AB 10.0 leading edge that came out just after the rhino was very similarin color and apearance and design, leading me to believe in the truth of this assertion. If different brands of kites are made in the same factory, it would seem that "trade sectets" and changes in design are short lived unless protected by patent.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:18 am

I just got a note from Ken. He is coming to answer our questions. Post your questions quick, before it's too late.

Dwight

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:29 am

I was just told by my friend who rides on the Airsuh team, that Airush is sticking with the same non-segmented leading edge design they had last year. Just small shaping improvements. They claim their way is more expensive to produce because of material fall-off cost. Labor is so cheap it's not a factor.

I personally don't think a non-straight segmented leading is comparable to a North leading edge. Just look at how stiff a North is when you try to water launch it. Then watch a Airush fold in half during relaunch. They don't even feel the same ground handling.

They say you did it to save money and so did Naish. Put this nonsence to bed. Tell us what's up. It should be no secret why you did it now. Enough other kites companies have copied you.

Dwight

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:10 pm

Hey guys, post your wish list for Rhino sizes. Decisions about sizing are being made right now. You just may be able to influence Ken. Right now it's 8 thru 20 in 2 meter increments. I love my 22.5 Rhino. I want a bigger Rhino II. The 22.5 Rhino was the king of light wind fun. I was really looking forward to getting a 22.5 Rhino II. The advancements in the fun factor in sizes around 16m were huge between 2001 and 2002. I was hoping for the same leaps in fun with even bigger sizes for 2003.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-08-08 13:11 ]</font>

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:16 pm

Looking at my size and the speed they achieved on the X2 20, a Rhino2 24 would be wicked...
btw i am 90-95 kg

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:33 pm

I agree jever 98. I'm only 83 kg and I use my 22.5 a lot. I have a friend who weighs 100 kg. He has been bummed all summer because he can't buy a 22.5 Rhino in the US. The distributor ran out of them mid-summer and won't be getting any more until the Rhino II is released. This tells me North under estimated the need for these kites.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:56 pm

You know, when you look around on yahoo groups and here, the most often asked about kite sizes are the really big ones. Everybody is asking questions about the 20m x2. This shows the huge interest in big sizes that work.

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:58 pm

I would like to add something to the wish list for the new kite:
- removable battens (easy packing!)
- Coloured lines like Naish (if you don't buy kite only, Dwight :smile:
- Expandable bag, of course
- Releasable chickenloop
- May be a cabrinha-style valve or a second dump valve on the main
- A better grip on the bar
- A better shaped bar
:wink:

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:31 pm

To the guy whose Kite is oversheeted and depowers when he pulls the bar...your frontt lead lines are too long dude. Find full power go to the beach and then shorten your lead lines by however far you chicken loop sticks out of your bar when you were sailing at full power. Go to kitesurfpr.com and check out the tunning tips page for help.
Aloha Royce.

Return to “Kitesurfing”