All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: perfect wave kite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:37 pm 
Frequent Poster

I think most wave specific kites should fit what StarSky has said. I'm not great in waves and ride a TT most of the time, I'm learning on a directional now, but the waves on my coast are not the best. All that said I've just change from the Rebels over to StarKites Taina and I have really noticed the difference between 5 line and 4 lines.

Prefer the 4 lines as I am not scared of dropping the kite in the surf.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:34 pm 
Medium Poster

1. Reo
2. Smoke
3. Religion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:46 pm 
Frequent Poster

As I got into waves, I sold my Cab SBs, and was debating getting a quiver of '11 Flexifoil Ions, just cause I know the kite is bomb proof, and fairly quick kites, but had the chance to test one against a Switch Method, and liked the Method more, is lighter, faster, flies a bit forward, a lot more power through the turn, carving turns are powerfully awesome, and although considerably a lot more bar pressure than the Ion, but coming from a SB, I didn't mind it at all.

I'm not sure of the durability yet, as I just got them, and wind here in FL sucks in the summer, so far so good, I really like them. One thing I was really impressed, is how freaky fast the kite relaunches I deliberately dropped it in the water, and honestly, it was freaky how fast it relaunched.

Been meaning to test the Taina though, I hear they're great in the surf. I also want to give Mutiny S a try.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:58 pm 
Rare Poster

pixelpedro wrote:
As I got into waves, I sold my Cab SBs, and was debating getting a quiver of '11 Flexifoil Ions, just cause I know the kite is bomb proof, and fairly quick kites, but had the chance to test one against a Switch Method, and liked the Method more, is lighter, faster, flies a bit forward, a lot more power through the turn, carving turns are powerfully awesome, and although considerably a lot more bar pressure than the Ion, but coming from a SB, I didn't mind it at all.

I'm not sure of the durability yet, as I just got them, and wind here in FL sucks in the summer, so far so good, I really like them. One thing I was really impressed, is how freaky fast the kite relaunches I deliberately dropped it in the water, and honestly, it was freaky how fast it relaunched.

Been meaning to test the Taina though, I hear they're great in the surf. I also want to give Mutiny S a try.

Hey Pixelpedro

Dont forget to try the Cabrinha Drifter for a wave kite. I used to work for the Starkites the Taina is a great kite but for down the line performance I would go drifter.
Private message me if you have anymore questions comparing the two

BB3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:23 pm 
Frequent Poster

BB3 wrote:
Dont forget to try the Cabrinha Drifter for a wave kite. I used to work for the Starkites the Taina is a great kite but for down the line performance I would go drifter.
Private message me if you have anymore questions comparing the two

Actually I thought about the Drifter, but I simply couldn't afford them new, and couldn't find ANY second hand, which I can only imagine is cause they're that good.

Yeah I'll let you know if anything, I have heard that the Drifter is awesome though.

And Tnx BB3, I'll pm you if anything.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:31 pm 
Medium Poster

My personal take on the above mentioned kites.
Please note:
Anyone can kite with any kind of kite in waves. Even the Wipika Airblast was usable in waves.

- Cabrinha Drifter: drifts well - turns a bit slow compared to other 'wave' kites - relaunch could be better
- Naish Park: the 2011 was a gentle kite and therefor used in waves but missed low end. The 2012 has more power and low end - not sure it is still a great choice for waves compared to others.
- North Rebel: way too powerful when riding in switch on a wave - don't drop it as relaunch is unlikely in waves - wondering if this is a marketing joke (or error) of North.
- North Neo: probably the better choice for a North wave kite: better relaunch - turns good enough
- BWS Noise: great for ocean (Hawai) waves because of drifting - too slow turning for any other kind of wave - average relaunch.
- Waiman series: turns well - drifts well - relaunches fast - just need to get used to the flapping of the canopy in high wind speeds - seems upwind ability has improved over the years
- Ozone Reo: good but not the fastest in turns and not the best at relaunching
- RRD Religion: fastest turning - relaunches fast - the 2012 has improved low end which was missing (the 2011 required a square meter more) - on/off feeling in gusty winds (not so easy to handle)
- Best Kahoona V2 and V3: always take a size smaller - good - travels a bit slower through the window (some people don't mind) than several others - relaunch: OK - turning: OK (surely due to the smaller required size)
- Slingshot RPM: good enough - turns fast - relaunch could be better
- Slingshot Rally: good but a bit faster turning would help - somewhat faster relaunch would make it ever better.

There are many other kites to consider:
Nobile Koinobori, Zeeko Notus 4, Blade Trigger, Takoon Furia, Switch Method, ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:13 pm 
Frequent Poster

Wow! Peter, nice demo list.
That is more kites than I have had sessions this year!
:D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:23 pm 
Frequent Poster

Rorke wrote:
That is more kites than I have had sessions this year!
:D

LOL, no kidding

Nice list indeed though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:42 am 
Medium Poster

and from my limited experience - the comments on the kites I know are spot on.
A really helpful list. thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:10 pm 
Rare Poster

Best Cabo - Get out and demo it and you'll be stoked.

[ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next