Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Airush 2012 New Sectors -- 54, 60, and 66cm V3

Postby Puetz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:23 pm

Westozzy wrote:
Puetz wrote:
Westozzy wrote:Got my 54, na na na na na naaaa. :D

Agree with mike birt, they have totally changed my paradigm on kiting in general, and kite type and size selection. They will I think have huge impact on your entire quiver design once you get on one. Wow.
... this is what I said on another thread, these boards were the next leap forward in kite (and board) design. When I first read Darren Marshalls review of the V1 sector a couple of years ago, he was sooooooo onto something!

cheers,

Robbie :)

You were right Robbie. We tend to focus on the light wind ability of these but they serve so much more I have found. Like the other day, put a small kite up as was a cranking winter thing, then she dropped out enough to have to change kites, but no, just come into shore, swap on the sector have some fun, watch the front a coming, then as the wind rise again, swap boards. And the lulls would still be considered a decent wind.... 20 knots, but no probs on the smaller kite. So they are not just there to get you out on a bees fart, they do soooo much more. I have also been able to have a 4m diff between my smaller two kites the sector bridges the gap.
... the funny thing is you should re-visit some of your old kites now and see how they perform while using the Sector, its like a bit of an equalizer and evens out some of the things you didn't quite like about a certain kite. For example, I wasn't overly in love with my Core 17m kite, but after using it with the sector I really liked it as the Core turns really nice and quick where as my Dyno 18m is slower and I couldn't squeeze the fast turns out of it like I could with the Core. The Core made the Sector really fun in small surf.

Anyway, just a little observation I found.

cheers,

Robbie :D

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks for the mention Borist. Glad you like the board.

Yeeeharrr, I'm not to sure if it is the cant of the fins --- that does do weird things -- but maybe that the more vertical fins are in back. Maybe reverse that? When I've run FCS fins with adapters on the V2 60, I found the better combos with the more vertical fins in front. Particularly if they are a little deeper or longer or whatever it is called when the fin is further into the water.

Now for something in the "too much time on my hands" category. The closest I've come to the raceboard feeling on a Sector is by reversing the fins, left to right. Making the cant backwards. That made the board the most like a 40cm race fin board that wants to throw off the rider with the least amount of weight shift mistake.

- Droffats

www.adventurekiteboarding.com

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)
Has thanked: 0

Postby MikeBirt » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:07 pm

Yeeeharrrr wrote:So at the moment I am using it with a slot blanker in the rear middle, two 20 cm straight race fins slightly cant-ed in the 2 rear slots,and then the two standard swept back fins in the forward slots
Interesting - I tried to whack a full set of V2 52 fins in my 54 and it went like a rocket upwind, but as soon as I tried to rail to rail it did not like it! Also, although it went better upwind and earlier once under normal power the efficiency of it was less.. it had a slower cross wind cruising speed per watt of power from the kite.. I preferred it on 3 swept fins and 2 straps..

I know in the UK they have some small 15cm V2 sector rear mini tuttle fins, and some upright larger front fins in stock. The V3 centre 60 fins are due to land on the 4th of sept. I run 3 uprights in my V3 60 and really like it. Again it suits my wish list of being a bit faster and efficient - I'd rather have quicker through the water, better carving than super early planing and upwind pointing angle.

each to their own though, no right and wrong, and it just goes to show how you can TRANSFORM the feel of these boards through fin choice. Good call in putting 5 boxes in the V3's.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:32 am

MikeBirt wrote:
Yeeeharrrr wrote:So at the moment I am using it with a slot blanker in the rear middle, two 20 cm straight race fins slightly cant-ed in the 2 rear slots,and then the two standard swept back fins in the forward slots
Interesting - I tried to whack a full set of V2 52 fins in my 54 and it went like a rocket upwind, but as soon as I tried to rail to rail it did not like it! Also, although it went better upwind and earlier once under normal power the efficiency of it was less.. it had a slower cross wind cruising speed per watt of power from the kite.. I preferred it on 3 swept fins and 2 straps..

I know in the UK they have some small 15cm V2 sector rear mini tuttle fins, and some upright larger front fins in stock. The V3 centre 60 fins are due to land on the 4th of sept. I run 3 uprights in my V3 60 and really like it. Again it suits my wish list of being a bit faster and efficient - I'd rather have quicker through the water, better carving than super early planing and upwind pointing angle.

each to their own though, no right and wrong, and it just goes to show how you can TRANSFORM the feel of these boards through fin choice. Good call in putting 5 boxes in the V3's.

Yeh Mike agreed on the two strap setup, sometimes I just can't be bothered jibing these days. The 54 rides really well on it's toe rail, yesterday nearly had my nose touching the water and it held. (Got a big nose ha ha).

So Mike give us the best fin setup, measurements as well, if my aim was to get out in some lighter winds. I love the three fin setup when enough wind, had a play in the waves too yesterday, lots of fun. But wouldn't mind on those real light days to still get out?

Yeeeharrrr
Rare Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton,Blackrock, Rhosniger.
Favorite Beaches: El Medano
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North Vegas, north Dyno, Nobile fifty /50, Nobile 2HD, Airush Sector V2 52c
Been thanked: 0

Postby Yeeeharrrr » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:54 pm

I have the sector 60 coming tomorrow as the cost of a few fin sets was silly, the sector 60 comes with 4 fins and a shop added free centre fin, so now I have loads of fins to play around with on my sector 54 and 60.
You can never have to many fins
Or kites
Or boards
Yeeeeharrrrrr

AirushV366
Rare Poster
Style: lowwind

Postby AirushV366 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:41 am

Just did 2 light-wind sessions on the V3 66.
Impressive riding with 14m kite in 10 knots.
Difficult to learn riding "flat" on the finns... :roll:
As soon as you "un-flat" the board, it points upwind and looses speed.
Jibing is easy because of the width.
Any suggestions on how to learn to ride flat?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:02 pm

AirushV366 wrote:Just did 2 light-wind sessions on the V3 66.
Impressive riding with 14m kite in 10 knots.
Difficult to learn riding "flat" on the finns... :roll:
As soon as you "un-flat" the board, it points upwind and looses speed.
Jibing is easy because of the width.
Any suggestions on how to learn to ride flat?

Yeh agreed I'm on that learning curve as well. Especially on the 54 that will rail really easily, I find I start riding it too much on the rail like a TT or small SB.

That being said, don't know if anyone has done this. Got some TT straps of my mutant and banged them on the sector today. Really liked it ! Kind of spewing I did actually. Felt really connected, did my back and forward rolls with transitions much easier. Great to lift over chop and you can really crank the tight turns up a notch and force the fins to break earlier. I ride with only two straps and can't be fagged switching feet anymore so reckon I might be on a winner. Gonna look for some comfy TT straps that have less padding underfoot. Those who are racing purist will probably die reading this, but it suites what I want the sector for.

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:47 am

Westozzy wrote: So Mike give us the best fin setup, measurements as well, if my aim was to get out in some lighter winds. I love the three fin setup when enough wind, had a play in the waves too yesterday, lots of fun. But wouldn't mind on those real light days to still get out?
That's a tricky one..
I'd say a pair of 15cm in the rear of the 54 would give the best compromise, but then I'm always polarised to the manoeuvrability of these things. I did try and put a full set of V2 60 fins in when I first tried the board. It's upwind ability was amazine, as was it's early planing, but top speed was well down and when you ask it to go round corners it hydrofoils on the fins and wont let the rail bite, and the fins lock it in.
The more fin, the less carve, but the better the pointing angle and less crab (more efficient). There is no right and wrong - it's been proven that some like lots of fin, some hardly any...
AirushV366 wrote:Any suggestions on how to learn to ride flat?
It's the way of the raceboard, and the 66 is closer to the monaro than the 60 and 54. The big tuttle fins allow you to really up the fin size if you want to get serious, but that will have effects on the top speed and carving. That said, to practice riding flat you have to use your hips to twst the board into the wind to adjust it's bite against the kite, while keeping it flat. It's not a set of muscles you will have used before and it's easier with power, so I see why some of the racers are using big kites...

that said you'd really need a Monaro expert to come on and tell you how to get the most from it..

Westozzy wrote:Gonna look for some comfy TT straps that have less padding underfoot. Those who are racing purist will probably die reading this, but it suites what I want the sector for.
I always found the most comfortable twin straps were the ones that were softest and had the most twist, as although your strap is front to back your foot and stance always twists is 45 degrees. I have a pair of old home made straps by the late Colin McColloch and they are the best for me. Just a double webbing piece inside an egg shaped neoprene cover.

dusta
Rare Poster

Postby dusta » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:55 am

eppo until damo gets the new stock in and i get my replacement 60 please shutup about your 54 , it's killing me

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:21 pm

dusta wrote:eppo until damo gets the new stock in and i get my replacement 60 please shutup about your 54 , it's killing me

Sorry dusta. I couldn't wait for Damo to get his stock in and I have heard he will only be able to get so much stock so get ya order in.

Return to “Kitesurfing”