Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Seaking helicopter incident leaves kite surfer injured

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Seaking helicopter incident leaves kite surfer injured

Postby tautologies » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:13 am

that guy must have been super close for his kite to be that affected by the kite helikopter. To jump at that...seems like he was looking for trouble (to impress?)

either way, don't really think a heli that is in search and rescue mode can be blamed.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:51 am

You can generally hear a sea king helicopter from about a mile away, the kiter was a total dick.

You never have right of way with a helicopter.

that's a game of rock, paper, scissors you will NEVER win!

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby flyingweasel » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Captain
Frequent Poster

Postby The Captain » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:13 pm

Take this as from someone who actually knows what they are talking about, because I actually know what I am talking about, in a general sense.

1. Yes, even a big helicopter can sneak up on you if it is coming from behind you at some speed. You can't blame the kiter for not knowing it was there.
2. On a big long beach, a helicopter is great for seeking a lost child. You cannot complain about others not helping in the search. They may not have had any idea what whas going on, possibly miles away.
3. Kids drown quick and sink. Human chains are a best bet (beside prevention), especially in turbid waters (remember Burwell recently Laughingman, I was there).
4. The helicopter did not have any need to be buzzing down the beach at any altitude that would screw with a kiter, other than showing off and checking out the chicks. The crew likely had no expectation that there may be kiter, but should have been taught somewhere along the line that: People fly kites at beaches. Some are small and hard to see. Buzzing beaches is a bad idea.
5. The downwash from a passing helicopter (or any aircraft) can linger and drift, sinking down and moving along with the wind for some time. Bigger aircraft means bigger trailing vortex. Specifically though, a hovering helicopter can throw a huge amount of wind downwards. (not the case here).

Likely this kiter had not idea they were passing and got tossed by a showing off crew buzzing the beach. They have every right to complain. If it was me that busted up a kiter, I'd have a lot of explaining to do, and might just be looking for a new job.

vkngktr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs

Postby vkngktr » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:21 pm

FAA Regs regarding safe altitude:
Over Open Water or Sparsely Populated Areas: an altitude allowing for a linear distance greater than 500 from any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure;
Helicopters: If without hazard to persons or property on the surface, an altitude lower than in definitions 2, 3, and 4 above, provided in compliance with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA.

Not sure what the International Rules are but I'm sure theyre not much different.

But if I were the kiter I wouldn't play chicken to prove I have ROW.

Agree with R. If you jumping in shallow water you can only blame yourself if you get hurt.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:23 pm

500 what? Meters? Feet? KM? Inches

vkngktr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs

Postby vkngktr » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:36 pm

sorry 500 feet. Again not defending the kiter but how would someone out on the water riding know a S and R operation was underway?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:40 pm

The Captain

Thanks for sharing your experience and if you are part of Search and Rescue thanks for risking your lives to save our dumb asses. The Port Burwell drownings left me stunned. Living by the beach for most of my life I've seen some stupid things from the city slickers.

Still though... I have lived on the shores of Lake Huron for more then half my life... there is no way a rescue helicopter could sneak up on me, heck you can hear them from miles away and I certainly would not be trying to throw down if one was near me.

You're right though, there is no way these guys could have known what was going on, so I take that back.

The Captain
Frequent Poster

Postby The Captain » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:43 pm

The FAA (as in USA) rules for helicopters are surprisingly loose. ICAO regulations which define regulations for most of the rest of the world (and very likely these folks) are far more stringent.

If I am feeling eager, I'll dig 'em up. But, those regulations all goes out the window '..for the purpose of saving a human life." Whether or not a search for a missing person qualifies is a grey area that would need to be fought over by a judge. It could be argued that a standard search pattern by SAR aircraft is not actually saving anybody, during the search proper, and the aircraft could and should be following the rules.

The Captain
Frequent Poster

Postby The Captain » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:50 pm

Oh, and as for the sneaking up on people thing...

I assure you, it is possible to sneak up on and surprise people. In boats, on motorcycles, etc.

Maybe I'll try and sneak up on you one day! (with proper clearances, of course)

Return to “Kitesurfing”