Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

February holiday choices - Caribbean ?

Postby SonnyRider1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi

Looking at our February holiday next year

Thinking Caribbean area as the wind is supposed to be good that time of year, as it's such a huge area and covers many countries, looking for places you've been and have experience in

Mexico?
Brazil?
BVI's?
Cuba?
Barbados?
St Lucia
DR?
So many places

We're both intermediates, not scared of waves. Freeriders who just enjoy getting out and messing around. We find every session is a learning curve and try to push ourselves.
Last february holiday was Sao Vicente in Cape Verde, amazing place, good steep learning curve with the waves and swell and no flat water.

We do like the quieter places, not so touristy, off the beaten track. We don't want to join the masses and will happily pay for that privilege. Nothing better than just a few people out in an idyllic spot rather than fighting your way out or around the hoards

SonnyRider1
Rare Poster

Re: February holiday choices - Caribbean ?

Postby SonnyRider1 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:04 pm

blimey, a fair few looks, but no-one has views or experience to share?

Really, no-one?
:o

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maiden Cay , Jamaica
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)
Style: Freeride learning Freestyle
Gear: 2011 Cabrinha 10 Switchblade ... 2012 Cabrinha Chopstick

Postby MattyRossJa » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:11 pm

WHY ISN'T JAMAICA LISTED !!!!

wind is epic on the north coast from November through to May.

I live and kite here , very small kiting community , and some amazing off the beaten track spots to kite at and stay at.

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)

Postby MattyRossJa » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:22 pm

SonnyRider1 wrote:Hi

Looking at our February holiday next year

Thinking Caribbean area as the wind is supposed to be good that time of year, as it's such a huge area and covers many countries, looking for places you've been and have experience in

Mexico?
Brazil?
BVI's?
Cuba?
Barbados?
St Lucia
DR?
So many places

We're both intermediates, not scared of waves. Freeriders who just enjoy getting out and messing around. We find every session is a learning curve and try to push ourselves.
Last february holiday was Sao Vicente in Cape Verde, amazing place, good steep learning curve with the waves and swell and no flat water.

We do like the quieter places, not so touristy, off the beaten track. We don't want to join the masses and will happily pay for that privilege. Nothing better than just a few people out in an idyllic spot rather than fighting your way out or around the hoards

check out some of my videos , kiting an doing random shit in jamaica

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt6Q_zNp4WA

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:45 pm

We did Cabarete, DR Mar 9-16 of this year. My wife and I and 3 other couples. Two of us are kiters and one of the other guys took a couple lessons.
We rode every afternoon, 12m wind.
We stayed at the Millennium Resort (highly recommended) which is east of Kite Beach and not as crowded.
This was our first time in the DR and EVERYONE wants to go back and stay at the same place.
I was expecting stronger winds but happy with the amount of riding we got.
Let me know if you have specific questions.
Tony

islandbound
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mille Lacs
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, St Lucia - 2 Elements and the Reef, Barbados, Bonaire, Keywest Flats - Smathers beach. Bonaire
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades and Nomads. 2011-2012. Cabrinha Caliber, Custom, Plasma. Jimmy Lewis Mod3 and Super Mod, Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Local Minnesota shop - Cabrinha Rider

Postby islandbound » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:03 pm

Islands I have kited on for that time of year
Bonaire - offwind kite beach with rescue boats, flat water and deep. Great diving
Barbados - Nice swell and good wind. kite before or after reef. caution on board rescue - nice
St Lucia - low key - great wind flat water to small rolling waves. limited restaurants and no night life

Looking for a new destination here as well. Really enjoyed Barbados and St Lucia for different reasons. Most likely heading back to St Lucia this January/Feb.

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster

Postby MattyRossJa » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:11 pm

islandbound wrote:Islands I have kited on for that time of year
Bonaire - offwind kite beach with rescue boats, flat water and deep. Great diving
Barbados - Nice swell and good wind. kite before or after reef. caution on board rescue - nice
St Lucia - low key - great wind flat water to small rolling waves. limited restaurants and no night life

Looking for a new destination here as well. Really enjoyed Barbados and St Lucia for different reasons. Most likely heading back to St Lucia this January/Feb.
there's about 6 or 7 awesome kite spots on the north coast of Jamaica , flat water , 9-12m kite conditions , very consistent 18-22 knots.
Night life is awesome and soo much more to see as well, and countless places to choose to stay, from big all inclusives , to small all inclusives , to big or small villas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuAK6lpj4iE

SonnyRider1
Rare Poster

Postby SonnyRider1 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:38 pm

Ok

Have managed to cut the list down a bit, now I know where the wind is in February

Jamaica?
St Lucia?
Aruba?
Union Island?
Barbados?

susanmg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NYC/NJ

Postby susanmg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:03 pm

I spent a while on Union Island last winter. Quiet, sleepy island with good wind. Mostly flat water kiting right there although you could upwind to Palm Island to play in waves or hire jeremie to take you either to Mayreau (awesome small kicker waves). Not really fancy places to stay (unless you want to go super upper-crust and stay on Palm Island itself), but nice.

Barbados is supposed to be awesome if you want waves - best kite-able waves in the Caribbean is what I have heard. No real flat water spot though.

I met some people who spent a couple weeks on St. Lucia and raved about it - reef protected area so both flat water and then waves on the outside. I think they stayed at Coconut Bay - nicer resort-type place but kiting was right there and not crowded.

I've heard mixed things about Aruba. I'm sure some people will say it is awesome and I've never been, but most of what I have heard is that its gusty and off-shore. And yes, if you go far enough off shore its not gusty. And there are rescue boats or you can go to the othe side of the island, but it seems to me like it is a place where people often go if the other people they are traveling with don't kite.

Ilovekitesurfing
Medium Poster

Postby Ilovekitesurfing » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:56 pm

Have a look at Union Island: [vimeo]http://vimeo.com/29509409[/vimeo]

Whatever you chose, hope you hav a nice trip!

Return to “Travel”