2013 Slingshot Rally review

Forum for kitesurfers
fourperf
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

2013 Slingshot Rally review

Postby fourperf » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:21 am

to get started- no affiliation to Slingshot or any shop. 11 years kiting. Kitesurf mainly but will go out on a tt if its flat. Home spot - windily, sometimes gusty side shore point break.

Kite tested 9m Rally

Bar - I really liked the compstick bar from 2012. was not sure how they would improve it. They did. The bar feels a little smaller in Diameter (did not measure) and the grip is a little different. It is more comfortable in the hand. They changed the bar center which makes sheeting in and out smoother (less friction) Feels a lot better and center line will last longer I am sure. They made the new bars black on one side and white on the other. Its a quicker read if you have released the kite to the safety as to which way round the bar is. All the mechanics are the same. This year the 9m comes with a 20X23 bar instead of the 17X20 like last year. Also the Chicken loop line in 2013 is the med one instead of the short one. Love the new bar! for me I wish it came with the short chicken loop but thats just me. I dont unhook.

Kite -

The new kite is AWESOME. I flew 2012 Rallys and thought they were amazing. Just about perfect.

The new 2013 Rallys are much more rigid of a structure (obviously due to the mini struts on the wingtips and the increased diameter of the leading edge. I tried everything I could to get the kite to buckle or have the tips fold a little by loading up really hard, it was quite gusty also (I didnt pump the kite as hard as I did my 2012 Rallys). The kite was rock solid. Could not get it to buckle or the tips even come close to folding in. The canopy is super tight all the time with no fluttering at all. There is massive depower when you want it and the kite absorbs the gusts completely. Definitely a big step ahead from an already great kite last year (or earlier this year).

The kite seemed to turn just a hair slower than last year but that is obviously due to the longer lines this year. The kite turns plenty fast. The bar pressure felt a slight bit heavier than last year but to me it felt perfect. I hate a kite with heavy bar pressure. Its just heavy enough to always know where the kite is.

In the surf this years kite is a lot better than last years. It drifts better and always seemed to be in the right spot.

The kite turn slightly differently. Instead of pivoting so much on the wingtip like the 2012 kites the turns are a little more drawn out and there seemed to be more power in the turn.

2nd session was about an hr on a tt and will say that the jumps and hangtime are huge like they were last year. Great kite in the surf and also was super fun on the tt. Loops really nicely. Super grunty.

Spent 2.5 hrs with it today and definitely super stoked. GREAT kite!!!
Mark

magic%20Ed
Frequent Poster

Re: 2013 Slingshot Rally review

Postby magic%20Ed » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:46 am

Thanks for the review!

One comment: a kite does not turn slower with longer lines, but it takes longer to go from one side of the window to the other.

GrodanBoll
Medium Poster

Postby GrodanBoll » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks for a good review!

TonyL
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby TonyL » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:36 pm

Thank you! Been wanting to hear more reviews. Hoping more reviews on the bigger sizes. In the market for a 12m. Been riding Switchblades but want lighter bar pressure and want a kite with drift plus boosting. Sounds like this is gonna be the ticket. Anyone else out there ridden the bigger sizes? (I read the reviews from XL Houston already)

Tony

fourperf
Frequent Poster

Postby fourperf » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:34 pm

I hope to get my 12 soon (SS was out of stock) and will post about it as soon as I fly it.

TonyL
Medium Poster

Postby TonyL » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Awesome! I weigh about 195LBS. Would like to know low end, bar pressure, etc. Thank you!

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:16 pm

just order a 12 as well, we will see.....
been told with the 2013 they have changed the bigger sizes to be a bit more towards the Turbine shape and with the two small struts on the tips the canopy is more stable, especially for the heavier guys.
The "claim" :roll: is that this makes the bar pressure very similar to last year(maybe a bit stronger) and the pull on the 12 closer to last years 14 but is still almost as fast as last years 12. Again, we will see...
you know how every year the new kites are better and better and better and better :lol:

TonyL
Medium Poster

Postby TonyL » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Awesome! Hope you get some good wind soon. Nada in Florida :(

buckrmartin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Los Barriles, MX
Lake Michigan, WI
Favorite Beaches: Rum Cay
San Juan, PR
Maui, HI
Hood River, OR
Style: surf
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby buckrmartin » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:21 pm

2nd ride on the 12m 2013 Rally, Overpowered and trimmed in 2-4 inches on the depower yesterday for 1.5hrs. Great boost and hangtime a little better than 2012 model. :wink: Upwind machine! :thumb:

The Slinghsot team has cooked up another great product for the kite market. Be aware that the 2013 12m kite does not resemble the 2012 turning characteristics. Much slower and more direct pressure for turning. I would prefer a quicker turning kite for down wind and surfing down the line.

Get out and Kite! Enjoy your summer!

Buck
180lbs. 6'1" surfboard rider

Jimmy Mazzanti
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: freeride wave
Gear: mine
Brand Affiliation: Sabfoil.com

Postby Jimmy Mazzanti » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:55 pm

buckrmartin wrote:2nd ride on the 12m 2013 Rally, Overpowered and trimmed in 2-4 inches on the depower yesterday for 1.5hrs. Great boost and hangtime a little better than 2012 model. :wink: Upwind machine! :thumb:

The Slinghsot team has cooked up another great product for the kite market. Be aware that the 2013 12m kite does not resemble the 2012 turning characteristics. Much slower and more direct pressure for turning. I would prefer a quicker turning kite for down wind and surfing down the line.

Get out and Kite! Enjoy your summer!

Buck
180lbs. 6'1" surfboard rider
Yes
but for surfing you can go down size and use a 10.. the 10, 12 and 14 they have more low end power compared to the 2012

anyway surfing down the line you don't have to move that much your kite and one of the best characteristic of the Rally 2013 is that you can really go in the kite direction surfing with on shore wind and it will always follow you, much much better then last year.

Return to “Kitesurfing”