Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Audun
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting in Playa del Carmen

Postby Audun » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:04 pm

Im planning on moving to Playa del Carmen for about 6 months or so. Just wanna have fun for a while, maybe get a job in a hotel, bar or something. I have a couple of job offers already.
I also wanna start kiting, and Im taking a course in early sept, and will buy equipment after that if I find it as fun as I think I will.
Last time I was there, I saw some kiters, and from what I understand, its decent conditions for kiting there. Is it any kiting community there?
How are the prices of equipment there? To do kiting here in Norway I need a 12 kite from what I have heard. What size of kite would I need there? Anybody know.....?
Thanks!

Flysurf77
Medium Poster
Gear: EPIC KITEBOARDING
Brand Affiliation: IKO/PADI/EPIC/WAINMAN

Re: Kiting in Playa del Carmen

Postby Flysurf77 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:31 am

Audun,
Wind season is from October till end of May, sometime mid June.
You can expect 13 to 22 knots of wind, 4 to 5 days a week on the carribean coast.
When the wind turns north, el Norte, it is off shore in PDC so we go to Isla Blanca, north of Cancu or North Cozumel Island. Then it will blow 25 to 35+ knots and get pretty cold.
The only authorized Kiteboarding School in Playa del Carmen is PDC Kiteboarding, www.pdckiteboarding.com, at the Sandos Playacar Resort. There, you can get IKO certification courses, rent and buy equipment, new or second hand.
You can also learn in Tulum with Extreme Control or in Cancun with IKARUS.
Size of your kite will depend a lot on your body weight and experience.
You can get more info from me at pdckiteboarding@gmail.com
See you soon.
:mosh:

Audun
Rare Poster

Postby Audun » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:32 pm

Thanks for the reply. What are the prices for a complete package there? I checked your webshop, but it didn't look like it had been updated for a while.
Do you have any used stuff atm? Is it any other place I can look for kite equipment there?
The summer is coming to an end here, we probably just had our last summer-day this weekend. From now on its supposed to be mostly around 10-15 degrees and a lot of rain, so I don't think its any point for me to buy kiting equipment here in Norway now.... :(

Kitesurf Vacation
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Playa del Carmen.
Favorite Beaches: Tulum, Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Playa del Carmen, Progreso, Isla Blanca
Style: airstyle, oldschool
Brand Affiliation: http://www.kitesurfvacation.com

Postby Kitesurf Vacation » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:47 am

Hola, you can find all the kiteboarding info about Playa del Carmen here: http://kitesurfvacation.com/?page_id=2276&lang=en, I live here and we are many kiters around the area. There are many good kite spots here in the Mexican Carribean. Take some lessons before you try to kite and about the size, it will depend on your weight but we usually use 12 m, saludos!

Kitesurf Vacation
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Tulum, Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Playa del Carmen, Progreso, Isla Blanca

Postby Kitesurf Vacation » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:55 am

This is our kiteboarding community, not as cold as Norway!, saludos
Attachments
playacarmen3.2.jpg
Playa del Carmen kite girls

Audun
Rare Poster

Postby Audun » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks for the replies, it sure looks a lot more comfortable than back here!
I had my first lesson yesterday, it was a bit cold, but still awesome!
I´ll probably buy a cabrinha kite, how will it be to find reserve parts and stuff for that in Playa? 12 kites is what people use the most here in norway too, from what I´ve heard, so its perfect if thats the best size there too :)

Kitesurf Vacation
Rare Poster

Postby Kitesurf Vacation » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:44 pm

hi, good to hear that you had your first lessons, maybe when you come here to Mexico you will be already riding''. There are some kiteshops in Playa del Carmen and around the Riviera Maya where you can find equipment and accesories. And if you don't find it here there are some others around the country, we can help you to get what you need. See you here'',

Return to “Travel”