Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

443 Euros / 550 USD / 349 GBP for a bar? Have they gone mad?

Forum for kitesurfers
Defrag
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 443 Euros / 550 USD / 349 GBP for a bar? Have they gone

Postby Defrag » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:48 pm

This is standard for North, compare 2011 vs 2012 bars as well - prize went up a lot (30-40eu at least I think) and the only thing that changed on the bar was the color, nothing more.

I wonder if the kites will go up 50-70eu as well as they did this year.

Guess it's time to switch to Ozone or Slingshot.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:12 pm

Over engineered, overpriced, exposed rope piece of crap. I see people having to change their chicken loop depower line within 20 sessions. I will stay with my FOne bars, never have had to replace the chicken loop depower rope. Price is 440 dollars, including the best leash I have ever used, simple and smart and last a long time, I think that is what consumers want. :baby: :cool2:

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:44 pm

Jbrook wrote:Over engineered, overpriced, exposed rope piece of crap. I see people having to change their chicken loop depower line within 20 sessions. I will stay with my FOne bars, never have had to replace the chicken loop depower rope. Price is 440 dollars, including the best leash I have ever used, simple and smart and last a long time, I think that is what consumers want. :baby: :cool2:
that is STILL crazy money!

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:30 pm

I would think that a QR north quality,well engineered,could not be compared to a velcro release,it would be like comparing lexus to a ford focus,you could probaly make 10 f1 qr for the price of 1 north and same applies to ozone,there is nothing wrong with f1 or ozone releases,north is the best,and its been proven time and time again,i dont fly north i use naish which is a good qr but not as good as north Tony

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Postby Jono 111 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:37 pm

On the one hand, the North bar costs an awful lot now. More than most people think it should. In fact, an eye wateringly expensive price on the surface. In its defence, it does include the gold standard for quick releases - and I don't think anybody is arguing with that.

On the other hand, is it the most expensive bar on the market? No, not even close. Why?

There are still companies using quick release systems that are consistently prone to failure under load, or which malfunction if they contain too much sand. You can pay $400 and more for this privilege. Now that really is expensive - for something that can't be relied on - and logically has a net negative value.

(And yes, in between, there are some decent bars that work just fine and don't cost as much as North.)

capitan nemo
Medium Poster

Postby capitan nemo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:58 pm

tony montana wrote:I would think that a QR north quality,well engineered,could not be compared to a velcro release,it would be like comparing lexus to a ford focus,you could probaly make 10 f1 qr for the price of 1 north and same applies to ozone,there is nothing wrong with f1 or ozone releases,north is the best,and its been proven time and time again,i dont fly north i use naish which is a good qr but not as good as north Tony

From my experience North is crap... not even close to being the best.
2009 and 2010 QR had to be fixed by the customer at home.
last years Depower rope got worn out as soon as you could say "North sucks" !

As said before - Way over engineered.
I would choose the Fone velcro system over the North bar and QR any day.

BTW, have you seen the Vid ? how the heck do you switch between suicide and regular leash attachments while your kite is in the air ?
I like riding suicide but when I come in and out I connect it to the fifth line...

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:16 pm

capitan nemo wrote:
tony montana wrote:I would think that a QR north quality,well engineered,could not be compared to a velcro release,it would be like comparing lexus to a ford focus,you could probaly make 10 f1 qr for the price of 1 north and same applies to ozone,there is nothing wrong with f1 or ozone releases,north is the best,and its been proven time and time again,i dont fly north i use naish which is a good qr but not as good as north Tony

From my experience North is crap... not even close to being the best.
2009 and 2010 QR had to be fixed by the customer at home.
last years Depower rope got worn out as soon as you could say "North sucks" !

As said before - Way over engineered.
I would choose the Fone velcro system over the North bar and QR any day.
F1 recall qr and bar,north no recalls,I do admire f1 for doing this,most companies probaly would have done nothing,Tony
BTW, have you seen the Vid ? how the heck do you switch between suicide and regular leash attachments while your kite is in the air ?
I like riding suicide but when I come in and out I connect it to the fifth line...

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:24 pm

Never had one problem with a FOne velcro release. I kite more than 300 days a year, how about you? Does North include a leash with their bar? They started raising their prices absurdly with the 1200 dollar TT, then 300 dollar pads and strap more or less. So of course the bar for 550 dollars was coming. The problem is people line up to get the 2013 stuff before its out, so I guess if you are like this price is not issue. I usually wait a little to make sure stuff did not get released too fast. Buy what you like and ride what you like. If we were all the same life would be boring! :nono:

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North

Postby BigPaul » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:41 pm

I have started to ride StarKites this year, although i've never bought the bar seperatly their UK site say's its £250.

I'm not saying in anyway that these bars are as good as North cause they are not. I used to ride north up until Christmas and I loved the Iron Heart. But it is not £100 worse by any means.

It has a good push away quick release and comfortable grip, what more do you need?

The main reason I started looking elsewhere was price! now I found a good kite that does what I want for nearly £500 cheaper! (Complete that is)

Paul

vkngktr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs

Postby vkngktr » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:03 pm

I like my 2012 Best RP bars. No depower wear, QR works well and swivel works well albeit sometimes gets sticky with sand, but never to the point it doesnt work. A big improvement over the 2011 bar. I always like the trim system as there are no jam cleats to chew up lines. The list is 429 USD but you can get them cheaper.

Return to “Kitesurfing”