Forum for kitesurfers
strokes
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Looking for light wind board

Postby strokes » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:44 pm

Kober1974 wrote:strokes.... what size is you Flip ? I have Glider 164 and Z-series 136 that let me use same kite when conditions change rapidly ... Before that my board set was 147 and 154 and that was way too small difference ....
I have 134x40.5cm. Think that also with 147 or 154 board difference will be noticeable.

Ted B
Frequent Poster

Postby Ted B » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Me 6'2" 190 lbs. I typically USE the Flyradical XL this board is a supreme litewind board that is super fun to ride when the wind picks up.. I can do all the same tricks as on My Flyrad M.

For extra litewind I use the Fly Door L and XL.. These are the best built and funnest litewind boards that I have ever ridden.. They have such a funability about using them.. I even hit ralley to blind and a 313 on the XL check them out at www.flysurfer.com

pch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Rugen

Postby pch » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:56 pm

strokes wrote:Hi there! I'm also looking for light wind board. Actually not quite looking - already know that i will buy Aboards Glider, I have their Flip board and i totally satisfied with quality and performance Aboards provides. So decided to stick with already checked values.
The question is only about size. I'm 178cm, 75kg. Which size would fit for me better? 147x45 or 154x48 ?
considering that your everyday board is 134cm and weight 75kg, 147cm glider will be OK for you. there is no need to carry larger board with you if smaller size can do almost the same. have tried both sizes and also 147cm Glider works very well in light wind.

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.

Postby hudstur » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:46 pm

LITEWAVE WING 153 X 46, all the way man, an unbelievable machine, almost like it has a motor on it.

pdg345
Rare Poster

Postby pdg345 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:57 am

Board has been received and was put on use 2 times already. So far no regrets about my choice. Glider is doing exactly what I was expecting from light wind board and even more. Early planning is absolutely guaranteed plus i can get some fun with jumps as well. And those pads are really good as well, very comfortable.

Paula
Rare Poster
Style: freeride

Postby Paula » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:23 pm

Looking for light wind board as well. When wind is low, mine 133cm board is not capable to let me kite when others are on the water. :(
Looked through this topic and see that many are recommending race boards over usual twintip. Sorry for my lack of competence, but could someone explain me main differences between them?
Last edited by Paula on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:38 pm

The Spleene Barndoor (159) is a serious tractor in low winds. It is definitely not an exciting ride, but you can get that thing on plane when the kite (16M) will barely fly. I have a strong wakeboarding background, but my buddy who was learning at the same time had almost no board experience. The Spleene got him riding when nothing else worked.

I have been on this board in serious chop and while you have to be very careful keeping the front tip up, it allows me to stay upwind with a bigger kite in the chop. I know most people say short fat boards are better for upwind pull, but I personally have found that in heavy chop, this big fat monster can't be beat.

All this being said, I am switching to directional myself for a more exciting light wind ride, but the Spleene is a really good utility board to get you out there, or to help you friends who might be having trouble riding.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:45 pm

If you prefer to stick with a Twin Tip light wind board Mr.pdg345, then my suggestion will be to go with any of these light wind board people have been mentioning, they all do their job in light wind. But if you want to be able to have fun and not just go back and forth you should try the OXYGEN board. The OXYGEN board is 135x47cm wide so it planes in very light wind but what makes this board so special is the lightness of the board plus the way the tips are shaped and also the 2 sets of fins it comes with, so you can choose from 4cm fins to 5cm fins depending your skills. The tips of the OXYGEN board makes it load like a 41cm wide board so you can pop and land better then any light wind board in the market. But you can still plane in 7 to 10 knots. Plus the 4cm fins makes it more alive in the water then any other light wind boards.

But again if you are on a budget, go with a used surf board. You can find one from $75 to $175.
Attachments
OXYGEN v2.jpg
DSC_0014 4.jpg
DSC_0030 2.jpg
DSC_0031 3.jpg

bsideindy
Medium Poster

Postby bsideindy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Aggression SuperPhatty 137 is magic in light winds. Don't go for a door they are boring.

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8

Postby xray » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:02 pm

At least try the North Nugget, talking about fun with a very usefull highend as well. Try it strapless and have fun on both flat water as well as small to medium sized waves. It goes upwind like crazy as well..

Return to “Kitesurfing”