Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

My review on Cabrinha 2013

Forum for kitesurfers
AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 2010
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My review on Cabrinha 2013

Postby AlexandreBorges » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:27 am

Last weekend I could test Cabrinha kites and boards for 2013 season.
I'm learned how to kite in a North and I've been sailing a Cabrinha since then. I'm writing, because I asked for reviews on it sometime ago and nobody could give me a hint, so it might enlight somebody else. (São Luís - MA - Brazil - 35 km downwind and wind 20 knots)

I first tested a Cabrinha Drifter 11 2013. This kite really made my day on flat and waves. Really light, fast, up to a close/tight pivot. He is right there just waiting for you and if a maneuver while in wave gets you lacking power it wont stall and accept really fast a kiteloop reengaging you. It gave me power up while junping. It gives you power at 45 degrees.
I felt odd on its tissue some times flapping but it was not unexpected since I was trying some subtle direction exchange. Though i'd like somebody from Cabrinha office comment on that.
I'm considering buying this kite.

Then I asked for a Chaos 11.
Man, that is not a kite for me. I know it is not a kite for downwind, but I expected a faster kite changing directions. I had to work hard to get ahead and felt it a little bit lazy as my old crossbow (sorry guys for comparison of two diferent sailing instances).
Nice colors, I could relauch it several times (5) fast enough (great kite there, making sure you might miss). I had to kiteloop to gain power and have some fun.

Switchblade 11 and 12. It's a different kite from previous year and year before that.
It looks like less powerful and more agile. Although I will sail next weekend and get a better review, because wind was down to 15 by the end of the day. Go for the red collor than green one, but blue is also a good pick. I bought one 12.

I tested the entry board I can't remember and Xcaliber. The first is horrible. A stick. I could not recommend, not even to a newbie.
Xcaliber is a different board, lighter, smaller fins, channels all over it. Really great pop and upwind capabilities. I didn't like pads, they are slippery. I bought one.

Bar is lighter; lines look improved; colors are ugly, but the red (very hard to repair pattern and keep it unseen). all products were said to be prototype or lacking adjustments, which I agree it supposedly is the truth.

Cabrinha has a great line for 2013 with minor flaws in my opinion.
Go for a test-drive at a Drifter before buying a switchblade it might change your desire.
Attachments
293405_352524408157978_203588527_n.jpg
Pick yours...

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Re: My review on Cabrinha 2013

Postby Nico » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:06 am

' I didn't like pads, they are slippery. I bought one.'
I like your style
Nico

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:45 am

AlexandreBorges wrote: Switchblade 11 and 12. It's a different kite from previous year and year before that.
It looks like less powerful and more agile. Although I will sail next weekend and get a better review, because wind was down to 15 by the end of the day. Go for the red collor than green one, but blue is also a good pick. I bought one 12.
This is quite true. I bought the 11m and it does feel like it is missing quite a bit of grunt. It definitely turns quicker and this time I can confirm that it holds true to the usual marketing blurb. In the waves its not too great as you have to concentrate on where it is and work it because it does not drift very fast. I dropped it a few time in some big waves and it relaunched very fast. Don't think i've ever had a kite that relaunches so quick in 12-15kn wind. Bar pressure is a little bit lighter than before and kite loops are fast enough for a kite that size. I've had three sessions so far on twintip and surfboard and I'm happy with besides the lack of low end which is the only downer so far. I like the new bar.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:49 pm

Can't have it all. As one giveth, one taketh.

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster

Postby AlexandreBorges » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:11 am

Nico wrote:' I didn't like pads, they are slippery. I bought one.'
I like your style
Nico
I bought before testing, a month ago, because my 2010 Crossbow is almost dead. (believe it lasts one more season, but the person sewing it doesn't)
There is always something you wont like, just ask if you might live with this flaw.

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster

Postby AlexandreBorges » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:15 am

Lanc wrote:
AlexandreBorges wrote: Switchblade 11 and 12. It's a different kite from previous year and year before that.
This is quite true. I bought the 11m and it does feel like it is missing quite a bit of grunt. It definitely turns quicker and this time I can confirm that it holds true to the usual marketing blurb. In the waves its not too great as you have to concentrate on where it is and work it because it does not drift very fast. I dropped it a few time in some big waves and it relaunched very fast. Don't think i've ever had a kite that relaunches so quick in 12-15kn wind. Bar pressure is a little bit lighter than before and kite loops are fast enough for a kite that size. I've had three sessions so far on twintip and surfboard and I'm happy with besides the lack of low end which is the only downer so far. I like the new bar.
I didn't like the low end, but I didn't want to express that before test once more.
Agreed with all your review. But I'd test it. Maybe I sell mine and buy a Drifter instead.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:57 am

Are you saying that the Drifter has more low-end than the SB? Guys around here tend to say that it is lacking in that depatment... I got two SB but am thinking about a one kite quiver to travel (10 or 11 for 12-13 to 27-28 knts in the gusts)... If the drifter has low-end, it could be it

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:37 pm

Are you saying that the Drifter has more low-end than the SB? Guys around here tend to say that it is lacking in that depatment..
I would definately not say the Drifter has more low end, your friends are correct. The SBs have more range then the Drifter. The older SBs had even a little more range than the 2013s. Also not sure how you compare these kites. The Drifter is great in the waves, but it is relatively boring on the flats compared to the SB. The SB has noticeably more power, pop, and hang time. If you are predominately flat water then the SB is a better option if predominately waves the Drifter is better. Also the 2013 SBs have a known issue with the flying lines being too long (or the bridle). They fly with a lot more power off the top knot, and some people put an additional knot to shorten the pig tail. There has been several threads on this. Once you do that the range of the 2013 SB is pretty compareable to the older SBs. If you are really wanting a single kite quiver the SB would be better IMO.

Return to “Kitesurfing”