Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite size choice's have I been getting it wrong?

Forum for kitesurfers
BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite size choice's have I been getting it wrong?

Postby BigPaul » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:54 am

Hello All

I was out the other day on my 2012 9 metre Starkites Taina and my mate was on his 2011 12 metre Cabrhina Switchblade.

We are both at around about the same level, if he is not a little better than me. We also weight about the same.

What I did notice was that I was able to stay upwind and boost just as high as he was on a kite that's 3 metres larger.

Oh I forgot to mention we were both on similar size twin tips.

So my question is have I been using too large a kite all this time? As normally I would have been out on a 12 as well.

The wind was about 17 to 23 knots, but it was wind with a pretty fast tide which must have taken a bit of power out of the kites.

I much prefer the speed of a smaller kite espcially now I'm getting into more tricks using kiteloops.

Regards

Paul

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Re: Kite size choice's have I been getting it wrong?

Postby Hawaiis » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:31 am

Different kites have different power and range. The trimming of the lines also affect the power. Most beginners once started going will tend to want bigger kites, most will ride smaller when more experience, especially for surf. If you can ride comfortably with smaller kites, it is very rewarding.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:27 pm

If all you're doing is riding back and forth, or surfing waves on a surfboard, then yes a 9m would be fine in 17-23 knots. If you want to be powered an 11 or 12m would be a lot better. If it was closer to 23 knots though a 9m would be better depending on your weight (I'd be on the verge of being lofted in 23 knots on the beach with a 12).

keviene
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Rota, Spain
Favorite Beaches: Rota,Tarifa
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Evo 12m 09

Postby keviene » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:41 pm

i think it depends on the kite, but with 23knots in most 12 your in the upper limit.
i feel very uncomfortable in 23 knots with my 12 evo

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:57 pm

Hawaiis wrote:Different kites have different power and range. The trimming of the lines also affect the power. Most beginners once started going will tend to want bigger kites, most will ride smaller when more experience, especially for surf. If you can ride comfortably with smaller kites, it is very rewarding.
Exactly - short and precise answer 8)

Different kites has very different power, yes.

And good words: "If you can ride comfortably with smaller kites, it is very rewarding"

This goes, as you write, for both surf but also freestyle - beginners ride too big kites to compensate for the lack of skill (naturally, nothing wrong with that).

But experienced riders use smaller kites, and jump just as high but with way better "agility" and moves because of the correct kitesize :thumb:

Weight and windstrength balance can not be compared (measured) really, so will not comment on that one.

Paul - you might just have gotten better now, and found out you dont need the 12 anymore in given conditions, like you used to :naughty:

So take the 9, and use the 12 for lighter wind.

:D Peter

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North

Postby BigPaul » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:25 pm

Thanks Chaps

Nice to know that it looks like I'm improving :-)

Will try and fly my 9 more regularly as my quiver is only the 9 and 12 :thumb:

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Postby WildDuke » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:35 am

I prefer to be at the upper end of the wind range of my kites. I get bigger boosts, longer hang time and softer landings. I ride a 10m kite and my winds are usually 20-25kts. I can ride my 7m kite in this wind range too, but I don't enjoy it at all!

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:12 am

I could also add that riding a larger kite in stronger winds lends itself to a different style of riding and isn't only done by beginners. (airstyle)Ie. with a larger kite you can have more hang time, more rotations or longer drawn out rotations and tricks and yes.. Softer landings. I do like this style and fly this way often but my boosts are always higher and more fun with smaller kites.
A couple weeks ago I went out on a 12 rebel in about 28-30 knots riding along side my friend on a 6m rebel and he has at least 30-40 pounds on me. Super powered 20 and 30 foot jumps were easy and lots of time to add style moves. I lasted about 45 minutes before my legs wanted a rest from all the edging. Took the 9m out the rest of the day and had way more fun though.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:02 am

flybykite wrote:I could also add that riding a larger kite in stronger winds lends itself to a different style of riding and isn't only done by beginners. (airstyle)Ie. with a larger kite you can have more hang time, more rotations or longer drawn out rotations and tricks and yes.. Softer landings. I do like this style and fly this way often but my boosts are always higher and more fun with smaller kites.
A couple weeks ago I went out on a 12 rebel in about 28-30 knots riding along side my friend on a 6m rebel and he has at least 30-40 pounds on me. Super powered 20 and 30 foot jumps were easy and lots of time to add style moves. I lasted about 45 minutes before my legs wanted a rest from all the edging. Took the 9m out the rest of the day and had way more fun though.
Airstyle is not a style, old school is a style. Airstyle is a fabrication of Toby to pimp his video. Don't be fooled.

jaysen5
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sero & taurama Beach

Postby jaysen5 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:11 am

20 knots is the magic wind speed. you can ride just about every kite in that amount of wind. just a matter of preference as to what size kite you prefer to be on.

Return to “Kitesurfing”