Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airush Sector 52 - suggest me a good kite for it....

Forum for kitesurfers
yuko
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oka
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Airush Sector 52 - suggest me a good kite for it....

Postby yuko » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi there!
I've used to be an Airush addict, started kiting on snow with a lithum, then bought Sector 52, bought One 15m, bought another lithium 12 from current year, sold the One and currently have only the 12 lithium. I only ride my sector 52 and I don't ride any twintips, I ride in very gusty winds, 8-18 knots is not unusual. Last time went out and bolted some surf fins on my sector, did not hate the experience but could not go upwind at all when the wind approched 20 knts, I was still on my 12 lithium. So that made me think to change my quiver.
I currently think of ozone edge, either 15m or 11m and even 9 for stronger winds. I know that sector can go in light winds with small kite, but that applies to the 60cm sector I believe, and not the 52.

What I figured so far is that I need a kite with a fast forward speed, lightwind abilities and good upwind drive. All of that seem not to be the qualites of the overhyped lithium 12m 2012. But more like Ozone edge or something.

I would greatly appreciate any inputs on what should I do with my quiver. So far my almost brand new lithium is for sale...

Thanks!

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Re: Airush Sector 52 - suggest me a good kite for it....

Postby MikeBirt » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:22 pm

How heavy are you? I'd say this should probably be the 1st question...
The sector will give you unprecedented light wind ability, so early planing isn't an issue. Matching your weight to the kites power band is the key..
Light-med weight VX
Medium to heavyweight - Lithium
Play in waves and have a manoeuvre oriented style? - Wave (suits medium weight riders - but will do a bit of heavy and light)

yuko
Medium Poster

Postby yuko » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:23 pm

170-180lb max
As I mentioned above, I feel like trying different brand, lithium just seem too overhyped to me. It's extremely gusty here, and I've been told that LIthiums are good for steady winds, but not for our local conditions here. Wind goes from 7 to 17 knots is a usual thing. It also seems like due to low aspect ratio Lithium has average upwind drive, all my sessions usually end up with a 10 minutes walk of shame. I heard that Ozone edge has crazy upwind drive...

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:53 pm

i ride an ozone edge on my sector 52. usually i'm on the 11m in 14-20knts. great combo....tons of board speed and easy to jump big. I still havent gotten the balls to send it at full speed but even going 50% on the jumps yield good results.

i have a zephyr for lightwind days and can really tell a difference in the apparent wind that the edge will generate. get a good high aspect kite built for speed and upwind.

C

yuko
Medium Poster

Postby yuko » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:05 am

Thanks Coleman!
So you're confirming that I need the Edge!
By the way, you say that you still use the Zephyr for ligthwind days, would't a 11m Edge be enough in LW departement? I remmember a video posted by MikeBirt going in 5-10knts on a 10m Lithium, altough I believe he was on 60cm Sector.

Beside the Edge, is there any other fast going, upwind driving kites I can look into?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Yep you need a kite with race characteristics not a lithuim, you are right not the right kite if this is the only board you use. You want it to fly forward and develop speed through apparent wind. This is what the sector is designed for. The board speed you develop has to work in unison with a fast forward flying kite, not a grunty delta all rounder, and as you said you get overpowered on the lithuim, no shit. You need a kite that can be flown to the edge of the window quick, so you can angle the board upwind, keeping speed.

Okay the edge would obviously be a good choice. If ya want to stay in the airush range there is the Varial x race. I know my Varial x works really well on my sector, but I also have it to unhook and boost, so the race version would also be a good choice. Also don't need to buy a new bar.

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:13 pm

yuko wrote:Thanks Coleman!
So you're confirming that I need the Edge!
By the way, you say that you still use the Zephyr for ligthwind days, would't a 11m Edge be enough in LW departement? I remmember a video posted by MikeBirt going in 5-10knts on a 10m Lithium, altough I believe he was on 60cm Sector.

Beside the Edge, is there any other fast going, upwind driving kites I can look into?
If you like Airush :

-VarialX Race (never tried it but should really be good with a sector) I think that they used the VarialX to develop the newer sectors so It might be good :-) Varial were also amazing jumpers

Other nice High AR Kites:

-Ozone Edge (very nice and no bar pressure, expensive though)
-Best Nemesis HP V3; It really flies forward and has a pretty high AR, tracks upwind like crazy
-Cabrinha Crossbow (tracks upwind very good but higher bar presssure, also a really great jumper)
-Flysurfer Speed 3 12m (the thing is you ride in gusty area and Foils arent so hot in gusty wind); otherwise it could have been a good choice.

I have put a list of kites I know really well but there are a lot of nice kites that fly very well with the sector. Check under race kites.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:51 pm

yuko,
the zephyr is a good kite for when i want to use a twin tip in light wind but i found it to mate well with the sector here on our light wind days when the wind goes from 10-15mph. i could make the 11 work when it is in the 13-14mph range but the zephyr is just more fun.

if it is 15mph and above its an easy choice....11m but here in austin our light wind days are rarely steady so it is good to have the bigger kite. at the coast, it is a different story. much steadier, no holes, and easy to build apparent wind on the smaller kite.

i think the sector is such a great board and it is becoming my favorite thing to ride. really fast off the wind with the edge.

C

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Yeah, I ride Ozone Edge and Sectors all the time. The VXR is another good one for what you've specified.

I have to say though, I can ride the Sector/RRD K-Free with pretty much any type of kite and have a good time, get upwind, etc.

- Droffats

www.adventurekiteboarding.com

yuko
Medium Poster

Postby yuko » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:26 am

Thanks guys, it becomes more and more clear that the Edge is the kite of choise , just wish there were more choices to pick from.
So i guess a 15m and maybe a 9 or 11 would be good quiver with the sector 52 ?
How much wind , gust , can you handle on a sector , the 52cm one ? I know they are lite wind boards , can we ride them in 20-25knts and be comfortable or it is just plain stupid and a small TT would be a better choice by then?

Return to “Kitesurfing”