Which new raceboard to buy?

Forum for kitesurfers
james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: Which new raceboard to buy?

Postby james » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:20 am

sending a board overseas is up to Jimmy but from his perspective the board is/has already performed very well at European events against everything on that list, it has won National titles and Euro Slalom titles so it is already a proven board.

i think Riccardo did race against one on his Mikes lab and narrowly took the event win but was trading first places with Lorenzo so it can and has beaten a ML70 around a race course, something that i am still waiting to see from Airush, North, AA ( i think) Royal RRD. (in the mens fleet)

Europe HAS a competitive board already without the 9-10 month waiting list so drop him a line and try one.

ML is in a very fortunate position that currently the top 3-4 riders world wide ride his gear, he is of course a very good shaper as years of board designing will attest too but he also has a very dedicated bunch of riders to help refine and test on a daily basis with a very strong local race scene that also helps push things forward.

my main priority would be to have a board that lets you put the hours in without failure, one that you know is competitive and one that you can actually get hold of. holding out for the holy grail as it were is fine but if it takes all season to get...

Bradn
Medium Poster
Style: Race
Gear: Ozone R1 V2, Custom race foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bradn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:30 am

Temavento would be best,
I had to settle for the next best.. rrd , because I could not afford the shipping.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:20 am

I am currently waiting on a Temavento rocket!

I hope to get it this week, my fins have been made and are awaiting their board.

Light to moderate winds forecast for the next week and big tides!

Can't wait!

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:34 pm

I saw and picked up a Temavento board yesterday, James brought one down to my beach.

Amazingly light, very nice carbon work and felt very stiff. it was a LOT and I mean a LOT lighter than the North raceboard which was also there. maybe 2kg lighter than the Naish Venturi.

I can't wait to get mine now! only a few more days.

Tony

Thieu
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Thieu » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:12 pm

It looks like the IKA box rule effect will be that today's top sailors have an advantage by having a better access to small handmade manufacturers. They do not have to suffer huge delays, sold out, etc. since they are asked by the brands for their "expertise".

Small manufacturers are overloaded by huge demands since most people look at which brand is winning.

Since newcomers can't access quickly to a good competitive board (order delays, ...) , even if they are ready to put the price (which is a bigger risk for them compared to an already established racer); they'll turn to bigger brands (whose production costs are lower by outsourcing in Asia) like North, Cabrinha, RDD, Naish... who have huge power in production flexibility.

Talented newcomers will be dissolved in the masses, and their board will be outdated quicker than those who are already at the top today, since their boards are designed following (copying) what was winning last year (or more).

Anyhow...

Jimmy Mazzanti
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: freeride wave
Gear: mine
Brand Affiliation: Sabfoil.com

Postby Jimmy Mazzanti » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Tone wrote:I saw and picked up a Temavento board yesterday, James brought one down to my beach.

Amazingly light, very nice carbon work and felt very stiff. it was a LOT and I mean a LOT lighter than the North raceboard which was also there. maybe 2kg lighter than the Naish Venturi.

I can't wait to get mine now! only a few more days.

Tony
3/4 days :thumb:

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:53 pm

Can't believe this is still a question. Get a Mikes Lab and move on.
Worlds soon and my bet is Mikes Lab at least 8 out of the top 10.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:45 pm

stefaans wrote:Can't believe this is still a question. Get a Mikes Lab and move on.
Worlds soon and my bet is Mikes Lab at least 8 out of the top 10.

Go on, email Mike and see how long it will take to get a board?

For starters just because it is dominating the US series (US board) doesn't mean it is the best. Temavento are DOMINATING the euro champs, does that make it the best board?

It is rider and equipment. but mainly rider.

It is like saying that Puma is the BEST brand for running in because Usain Bolt wears them.

What a stupid reply, oh just buy what is winning in the US (I know the PKRA as well when they are there) but put one of those top guys on a modern raceboard with enough time to learn how to make it fly and they will win.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:16 pm

Tone, seriously. a personal attack. then you go back and edit your post because you realize how stupid you sound.

Get a clue dude! If you are this uninformed stay off a forum you know nothing about.

We can talk about this after the worlds if you want.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:53 pm

stefaans wrote:Tone, seriously. a personal attack. then you go back and edit your post because you realize how stupid you sound.

Get a clue dude! If you are this uninformed stay off a forum you know nothing about.

We can talk about this after the worlds if you want.
Yeah I edited is as yeah, i did sound stupid. sorry.

But seriously, saying that the mike board is the only board that can win and everyone needs it?

Come on.

I asked Mike about a board one year ago and at the time he was quoting a 9 month wait.

So unless you can get a raceboard from Mike you shouldn't bother? so you won't race for a year or more.

The funny thing is, by the time everyone has their Mike Mk1 boards, he will release something new... that will be a funny day for everyone that has a 3k setup and it will no longer be "the best"

I think you made a mistake coming on here and saying that Mike were the best boards out there, you should have said Mike has the best riders on his kit. There are plenty of Mike boards not doing too well.... but that is a whole different matter.

Return to “Kitesurfing”