Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Core Riot XR2 LW 15 - for SupaEZ

Forum for kitesurfers
pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None

Core Riot XR2 LW 15 - for SupaEZ

Postby pmaggie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi SupaEz, did you please already tested the 15? I'm thinking to change my XR17LW and buy a new XR2 15LW. What do you think about the wind range difference? Is it a lot in the low end? And in the high end?

Thanks a lot!!

Paolo

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Re: Core Riot XR2 LW 15 - for SupaEZ

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:48 pm

For where i kite...ocean..waves..drift-current--whitewater...etc...

At 75kg on 5'7" x 18 5/8" Quad Whip..low end "kite parked going upwind"...is 10 knots ..on 15

....The 17...same exact scenario...9 knots low end

....The 19...8 knots low end

You could go in one knot less with each size kite if you "sine it"....but you won't go upwind anymore

You will break even and hold your ground if you are a skilled LW kiter

Of course having a more efficient board than i ride could help quite a bit

A far of the top end i give all the kites a +10 knots from the low end

15M.....10 to 20 knots...EZ
17M.....9 to 19 knots....EZ
19M.....8 to 18 knots....EZ

All my findings are with 24+3m inclusive extensions= 27m lines

Take off the extensions and bring the top end to..22-21 and 20 knots

...................................... :thanx: :surf: :sun: .................................................................

Coloradokiter
Medium Poster

Postby Coloradokiter » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:30 pm

Hi, I'm 80k or 175+ lbs and I would say Supa is right on his numbers. I've been riding the 17 a lot in the Gulf of Mexico (TX) with waves and current on a 5'10" Wainman Gambler and/or skimboard and match his numbers, the skimmy doing a little better. If I ride in the Laguna Madre flat water with my skimboard I can easily drop another knot+ from his numbers.

I haven't yet been on the 15 or the 19

Joel

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13

Postby pmaggie » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:26 am

Thank you guys! I already own the XR 17LW, the problem is that where I live (Como Lake) it's quite rare it's blowing steady 8/9 knots. When it's so light, you'd better stay on the beach or you're swimming for sure since it's a wind that will probably drop to 6 or to zero. On the other end, it's common that on the beach it's blowing 10 and in the middle of the lake (where we actually ride) it's blowing 13/14. At 14, I frankly don't like too much the 17, I feel not out of control but always a little overpowered. This is the reason why I'm considering the 15, I imagine it's a little less powerful and faster. My next sail is an 11.
About the board, I own two twin tips, one is a standard (for our lake) Nobile T5 137x42, the other one is a specialized light wind board, the Nobile Flying Carpet, 160x46.
Also, I think the new XR2 are better than the old XR.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:45 pm

pmaggie wrote:Thank you guys! I already own the XR 17LW, the problem is that where I live (Como Lake) it's quite rare it's blowing steady 8/9 knots. When it's so light, you'd better stay on the beach or you're swimming for sure since it's a wind that will probably drop to 6 or to zero. On the other end, it's common that on the beach it's blowing 10 and in the middle of the lake (where we actually ride) it's blowing 13/14. At 14, I frankly don't like too much the 17, I feel not out of control but always a little overpowered. This is the reason why I'm considering the 15, I imagine it's a little less powerful and faster. My next sail is an 11.
About the board, I own two twin tips, one is a standard (for our lake) Nobile T5 137x42, the other one is a specialized light wind board, the Nobile Flying Carpet, 160x46.
Also, I think the new XR2 are better than the old XR.
I think you should consider the Speed3 from Flysurfer, the 15 will go in very light wind and also stay in the air in less wind than the CORE kite.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pmaggie » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi Tone, I frankly don't like foils. I know they perform better in light wind but I prefer an inflated.
Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:51 pm

I'm 160lbs/72kg and I legitimitely have lots of fun in 12-18 kts with the 15m XR2 LW. I primarily ride surf shapes 5/3, 5/8. 5/11 - and occasionally twintips 120 (lots of fun with this kite in 15+). If its super light wind and no waves I will go with my Spleene 39 Session which makes it is possible in 10 kts. Anything less than 10 kts is unrealistic IMO. I can manage the kite fine and safely up to (or even slightly more than) 20 kts but if it's blowing that hard (over 18) for very long I prefer to go down to my 11m.

The nice thing about this 15m kite is that it turns fast, and does not stall, goes upwind really well, has great boost and hang time. It floats in the air surprisinlgly well in underpowered conditions and you can "work it" easily in the lulls if and when necessary.

It's definitely the best 15m kite I've ever flown and I'm never disappointed when I need this kite. Sometimes I'm the only guy out enjoying myself when other riders with similar size kites are sitting on the beach. Quite frankly it sounds perfect for the Como conditions you describe pmaggie.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:33 pm

pmaggie wrote:Hi Tone, I frankly don't like foils. I know they perform better in light wind but I prefer an inflated.
Thanks for the suggestion anyway!
cool, no worries :)

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pmaggie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:39 am

Hi Roberto,
thanks a lot. I think too it's a perfect choice, my actual 17 is also ok but, as I wrote, as soos as it blows 13/14 I feel too powered up, I have to depower a lot and I'm not having so much fun. The 17 is a weapon in subten/ten but it's quite difficult it's blowing steady 9 or 10, in that conditions the highest chance is to swim back 'cause it completely dropped.
I think I'm ordering today, maybe by the next week I can test it and report!

Cheers

Paolo

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:27 pm

pmaggie wrote:Hi Roberto,
thanks a lot. I think too it's a perfect choice, my actual 17 is also ok but, as I wrote, as soos as it blows 13/14 I feel too powered up, I have to depower a lot and I'm not having so much fun. The 17 is a weapon in subten/ten but it's quite difficult it's blowing steady 9 or 10, in that conditions the highest chance is to swim back 'cause it completely dropped.
I think I'm ordering today, maybe by the next week I can test it and report!

Cheers

Paolo
Cool Paolo,
I fly my 15m (and all other XR2's) on the 1st knots (closest to wingtip) using the Sensor bar...but always best to check tuning for yourself. I inflate it nice and hard and the kite is very responsive, super easy to self-launch.. I'm eager to hear your comparison between 15m and 17m. If/when you post comments please indicate your weight and boards so that can be taken into account.

cheers

Return to “Kitesurfing”