Fin boxes on Sector type board

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Fin boxes on Sector type board

Postby foam-n-fibre » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:20 pm

I'm thinking about building a board like one of the smaller Airrush Sectors - a free-ride type board, not a surfboard. I know that full raceboards are using Powerbox and Tuttle boxes, and the Sectors are using mini-tuttles (or have they changed?) Anyway, it seems to me that a board like the Sector is too thin for a Tuttle or Powerbox (or is it?). I'm not sure about if/where I might get mini-tuttle boxes (I didn;t find much online), or what the best option would be in terms of available fins. My very preliminary thinking is to have a more swept back fin. I'm wondering if I can get away with any type of FCS or Probox or other type of surfboard setup, and whether I can gets decent fins for what I want, and whether these boxes will hold up. I think I might want fins deeper than your typical 4 or 4.5" thruster, but I'm not looking at big deep vertical fins or anything.

Anyone have thoughts on that?
Thx,
Peter

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Fin boxes on Sector type board

Postby BWD » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:03 pm

FCS too small and weak for this use.
I would either copy as closely as possible an existing board, or make the trailing fin box(es) the surfing kind, that allow fore and aft movement to tune the board.
Minituttle or other cavity base is good otherwise.
They can be costly though.
You could probably build your own boxes around the base of whatever fins you will use....

bmkiteboard
Rare Poster
Style: freeride
Gear: 2011 Naish Park
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bmkiteboard » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:30 pm

I built a board similar to the airush sector V3 60 by chopping up an old windsurfing board. You should look into using these chinook fin boxes http://www.windance.com/Chinook-Fin-Box.html
they are really cheap and easy to install, and are used for a US type fin.
I wanted a freerace board so instead of going with an all out straight racing fin, I went with a less expensive ($40 per fin) and easier to ride fin. http://www.bicsportsurfboards.com/produ ... ,1024.html
10 inch front fins and 8 inch back fin was the closest i could get to the airush sector v3 60 fins. hope this helps.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster

Postby foam-n-fibre » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:54 am

Yeah, the 8" US boxes might be good, and the Chinook boxes are so much more beefy than many surfboard US boxes (I know from the old days of windsurfer building, as well as having recenbtly done a SUP fin box replacement for someone). My current leaning is to maybe build something with a soctor type rocker, but less drastic fins, more like the 54 model, or even a touch closer to a surfboard than that.

These guys have a pile of fins for surfboards in lots of sizes:
http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product ... ilcom.html
Only thing is on a tri-fin the side fins are usually asymmetrical, and buying 3 surfboard fins bigger than your typical thrusters means they might be symmetrical foils. I wonder how much that would change things? I'm sure it would work - heck many boards work with 1 fin, which is symmetrical. Should it matter much on a tri-fin?

Peter

yuko
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oka
Gear: Airush
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby yuko » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:39 pm

While we are at it - has anyone simply tried to go on a Windsurfer with a kite? Say 80-90L, I'm wandering how would it go? I have a 96L Fanatic skate that I still windsurf sometimes, maybe one day I'll try give it a go with a kite, just for giggles.

On another note, I'm currently running my V2 52cm sector with four Naish 9cm assymetricals fins, I even wakeboarded once and had a blast. The board now feels more like a surf but still goes pretty well in a straight line, I have to work on my upwind drive - might get an Edge 15m for that, I heard they rock upwind.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:07 pm

yuko I rode on a single fin 7' bic board about 10yrs ago, it was awful.
Can't think a windsurfer would be good.
My next rides on a tri fin were much better!

Symmetrical fins make more lift, because the leeward fin is lifting too, so they can be smaller.
If too big, they may make too much lift, giving problems with control. If set up wrong, they make too much drag.
For me, if the details can be figured out, shorter, symmetrical fins could be the key to enjoying a sector-like board.
I have no desire to deal with the hassle of long fins.
Smaller fins was such a bonus to switching from windsurfing!

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster

Postby foam-n-fibre » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:51 am

Interesting info on the symmetrical fins. I also still windsurf, and know that changing from a long pointer fin to a wave style fin can have a huge effect on the feel of the board. In my real world conditions (when windsurfing), I've never been big on long pointer fins or a pure waveboard with lots of rocker and slow to plane. I figure for kiting this makes sense too, I'd like to build something with a Sector type shape, maybe a bit narrower, but a much more swept back wave fin for nicer carving.

The next question I have to decide on is the core. They're not that thick. I'm not sure if it is worth trying to go with a light core and sandwich construction, since the saving with the light EPS core might not be great on a relatively small board. From the video I've seen, they loom to be made with a more traditional blank. Anyone know??

Peter

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:19 am

EPS with D-cell or corecell comp sandwich, build it like a windsurf.
Or wood veneer, bamboo if you want to put in the effort.

Return to “Gear Builders”