Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flexifoil Hadlow ID

Forum for kitesurfers
skyte
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FLEXIFOIL

Re: Flexifoil Hadlow ID

Postby skyte » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:17 am

I think you'd have to be pretty special to have a problem with the iD dropping out of the sky. I'd put this down to not being used to the kite and not being particularly skilled at flying kites (no disrespect, sorry)

The lines are specially designed for kites by a Dutch line manufacturer. They are Teflon coated high grade Dyneema. The Teflon coating stops ingress of sand and water which helps prolong the life although like with anything in a marine environment, if you abuse them, the coating will eventually wear off.

The iD was actually designed to fly on the rearmost front line connections. So fly the iD on the rear connections and move them forward if you want a bit more depower in certain conditions. (Normally I would never fly a Flexi on the rear connections as I only felt there was a benefit in doing this if you were over 90Kgs). The Hadlow iD is perfect on the rears and you can get a bit more speed and depower if you use the fronts.

The 12m has a good low end I thought and you can "sine" it to get that little bit of apparent wind and lock in, powered enough for unhooking.

It is designed to be unhooked and will sit happily, providing plenty of pull to edge against with a firm bar pressure to keep it low and will give great slack after you pop for passing the bar.

Think of the iD as an easy to use Hadlow Pro. If you're serious about freestyle and want to progress then its perfect. (IMO)

Like with any kite, what you are used to will affect how you get on with a new kite and what you will like/dislike. Enjoy!

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Belmont Shore (Long Beach, CA)
Favorite Beaches: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Bras d'Eau (Mauritius), Rodrigues Island
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites:
- 2010 RRD Obsession 10.5m
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow ID 12m
Boards:
- 2009 RRD Placebo (133x40cm)
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow MK2 (134cm)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby pwnd550 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:26 am

skyte wrote:I think you'd have to be pretty special to have a problem with the iD dropping out of the sky. I'd put this down to not being used to the kite and not being particularly skilled at flying kites (no disrespect, sorry)

The lines are specially designed for kites by a Dutch line manufacturer. They are Teflon coated high grade Dyneema. The Teflon coating stops ingress of sand and water which helps prolong the life although like with anything in a marine environment, if you abuse them, the coating will eventually wear off.

The iD was actually designed to fly on the rearmost front line connections. So fly the iD on the rear connections and move them forward if you want a bit more depower in certain conditions. (Normally I would never fly a Flexi on the rear connections as I only felt there was a benefit in doing this if you were over 90Kgs). The Hadlow iD is perfect on the rears and you can get a bit more speed and depower if you use the fronts.

Everything you just said seems true and is great to know! I like! :jump:
The 12m has a good low end I thought and you can "sine" it to get that little bit of apparent wind and lock in, powered enough for unhooking.

It is designed to be unhooked and will sit happily, providing plenty of pull to edge against with a firm bar pressure to keep it low and will give great slack after you pop for passing the bar.

Think of the iD as an easy to use Hadlow Pro. If you're serious about freestyle and want to progress then its perfect. (IMO)

Like with any kite, what you are used to will affect how you get on with a new kite and what you will like/dislike. Enjoy!

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Belmont Shore (Long Beach, CA)
Favorite Beaches: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Bras d'Eau (Mauritius), Rodrigues Island
Boards:

Postby pwnd550 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Last week I was in Punta Cana and got to try the Hadlow ID 12m 4-5 times with winds going from 12-18 knots, sometimes gusty, but otherwise, steady.
The kite is amazing: lots of power, good hang time, easy to ride, and has nice graphics.
One problem is that I had a lot of difficulty relaunching the kite in the water, even if there was about 15 knots: the kite did not go to the side of the wind window when i pulled one of the rear lines and I was never able to relaunch the kite.. maybe more practice? or is it the shape that prevents it from relaunching?
Anyways, when I first tried the kite, it did not seem so different from a bow kite.
The lines are of great quality, which is helpful if you want to make the lines last. The grip on the bar is pretty rough, but you get used to it, and the bar pressure is strong, but not so strong that it's tiring.

Here is a video of me kiting with the ID with a GoPro mounted on a helmet and on the lines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=079AtkMP ... cq4_6opOEH

skyte
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FLEXIFOIL

Postby skyte » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:03 pm

in low winds I don't think you can just pull one line and relaunch the iD.

The way I always relaunch them is to just unhook and let it go onto a suicide leash. This makes it easy to get on its back and then relaunch is just like you would do with a 5th line kite.

It just takes a bti of getting used to I guess!

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Boards:

Postby pwnd550 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:43 am

skyte wrote:in low winds I don't think you can just pull one line and relaunch the iD.

The way I always relaunch them is to just unhook and let it go onto a suicide leash. This makes it easy to get on its back and then relaunch is just like you would do with a 5th line kite.

It just takes a bti of getting used to I guess!
Yeah but with the 12m i was well powered with 15-17 knots, but even if it was floating on the leading edge it did not move at all..

endorphin
Frequent Poster

Postby endorphin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:09 pm

You can relaunch your ID out of the water easily in lowwind even when the wind is too less to keep the kite flying properly. One option to do this works like skyte wrote, second option is to sheet one backline and the frontline from the other side in and the kite auto relauches for shure!

Relaunching a kite depends on the ability of the person using the kite and not on the ability of the kite these days!
I prefer a kite that has great quality and flying characteristics over an "auto-relaunch-pull-one-line-kite", each non-kiting granny can restart, which has shitty flying characteristics.

javijavit
Rare Poster
Local Beach: All the tons of Midwest Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Puerto Rico - Shacks
Puerto Rico - Parguera
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: 134 LFX LF
138 DLX LF
118 wakeskate custom
Rawson Twin Fish 5'10"

ION 5 - 8.5m2
Hadlow ID 8,10,12

Postby javijavit » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:33 pm

First couple of times I used the ID on light winds I had the same stalling issue. Its a problem with how your lines are setup. This kite is designed to give you post slack during handle passes and that happens as the kite stops its foward movement as you pull it hard. When its light if it stops its foward movement the angle of the kite can change and lose all its power thus falling. You need to set it to the a sweet spot for light winds that has enough back line tension for the wind to hit the underside of the canopy always, but not too much to stall it. Its all in the settings. Obviously, this high performance kite is not like a flexi proton that is just designed to always sit there and pull. This kite lets you tweak it to nail the same tricks you do behind the boat where controlling the amount of bar pull is key.

Return to “Kitesurfing”