Forum for kitesurfers
rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby rightguard » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:33 pm

Seems like the only need for struts is for relaunch... Is that true? Like the new Naish Ride, seems nice but can have some issues with relaunch with only two side struts. My Park does a little better with three.

Why don't we just have little fiberglass struts like on a hang glider? Seems like that would keep the airfoil cleaner. Maybe fiberglass struts would cause damage to the kite in a crash...

boardriding maui
Rare Poster
Local Beach: kitebeach, maui
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere were the riders are smiling
Style: Lawn mowing
Gear: boardriding maui
Brand Affiliation: owner, in development of brand launching next year

Postby boardriding maui » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:16 am

tautologies wrote::thumb: :thumb:

Nice. Love the mood of the video...and I SO want to stick that strapless frontroll arrgghhhh
Thanks Tautologies.

boardriding maui
Rare Poster

Postby boardriding maui » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:18 am

mariod2 wrote:nice video!
Thanks Mariod2.

boardriding maui
Rare Poster

Postby boardriding maui » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:19 am

FredBGG wrote:Absolutely love the mood and spirit of the video.
Almost forgot to look at the kite :wink:

Kite looks great too. Keep us informed.

Also really like the graphics... NONE!
Thanks FredBGG

boardriding maui
Rare Poster

Postby boardriding maui » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:21 am

Tiago1973 wrote:nice!

how´s living in paradise? :-)
Paradise is a state of mind, right. Not everyone finds it in Hawaii. But I'm sure happy that I did.

boardriding maui
Rare Poster

Postby boardriding maui » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:25 am

world_kite_addict wrote:Cool looking Kite, cool looking board... definitely fitting for the Maui lifestyle.
Is the kite just for the fun of it or are there serious advantages?
Hard for me to speak to the advantages. Rider preference is a subjective thing. I will say that I think twist and weight are key elements for certain performance characteristics.

boardriding maui
Rare Poster

Postby boardriding maui » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:27 am

pj sofine wrote::thumb: Very cool vibe,intriguing kite, no mindless hype.
Thanks PJ Sofine.

boardriding maui
Rare Poster

Postby boardriding maui » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:28 am

iblocalsurfer wrote:Enjoyed watching your clip. Also like the Jack J. in the backround. Nice relaxing change :D
Thanks iblocalsurfer. (Is it getting old, me thanking everyone, one at a time? If you take the time to post stoke, the least I can do is thank you for it, right?)

boardriding maui
Rare Poster

Postby boardriding maui » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:48 am

ronnie wrote:
boardriding maui wrote:Hi Ronnie. I agree that 3 line could be interesting. I've been spending a lot of time with all kinds of bridle configurations. Some leaning toward 3 line concepts really slow down the responsiveness. Was a surprise to me. The geometry of this design is pretty unusual, so seems like it follows some different rules. I'm still exploring and learning.

About the canopy, nothing has been added to stiffen it anywhere. Before I began testing this concept I had no idea what to expect and guessed it may not work at all. To the contrary. Many interesting potential advantages. I think the fact that it is not stiff really allows the kite to twist and respond to all input. She's super fast. I'm stoked.
Hi,
I was actually meaning that your 4 line kite bridle looked a bit like the Cabrinha IDS bridle, so was wondering if you flagged it by letting one end of the powerline run up to where the pulley is at the bottom of the front lines.
I like the simplicity of it and its good news if it works and doesn't have any serious drawbacks.

I think there is a lot yet to be investigated in kite design.
It could be that it will work as a light wind kite.

One thing I would like to see someone develop is a kite that relaunches in the lightest of wind from directly downwind by being held in the same position as it would be overhead and keeping the best angle of attack all the way up through the centre of the window.

So is the canopy aerofoil shape or flat and if aerofoil does it depower in a stable way?
I would have thought the kite would be designed to sit back in the window a bit to keep the canopy under tension.
You've touched on a ton of stuff there:
- Flag-ing depower system. Understand you now. I haven't test for such, but don't see any reason why the kite wouldn't be compatible with most control systems.
- Yes, I totally agree on the lightwind side. My initial vision wasn't to explore any areas that are not native to our habitat on Maui (mainly medium-strong wind). However, low-end potential was immediately apparent from testing day one. First light wind designs arrive in the next 48 hours. I'm freaking out to see what the initial results suggest!
- Regarding "hot launch" as you describe, I could see that. Would take a specific design to do so without massive power, but I imagine it could be an interesting project. Maybe possible on many existing designs if equipped with a completely different bridle concept?
- Canopy is not flat. Is a proper foil for lift (varying throughout the canopy). Depower "in a stable way" would depend on how you define stability. It does luff / flutter, as does every kite I've ever seen (to varying degrees). But, to my thinking, this is not poor stability, or anything else particularly bad (except perhaps noise pollution?) I do think I can improve it with more bridle / toepoint / LE sweep work, but its already OK. (More comments on stability in response to another post.)
- I agree, and in my bridle explorations have experienced, kite sitting back in the window with rock-solid results. But my personal preference is for pushing the limits toward ever greater depower. I imagine it possible to tune most kites with bridle work to have them sit further back if that's what you're after.

boardriding maui
Rare Poster

Postby boardriding maui » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:00 am

richswing wrote:Love the concept, when will they come on the market and for how much?

Unless, you need further testers, seasons nearly starting in WesternAustralia :D

How would that kite handle in the waves?

Cheers
Rich
Thanks for the stoke Rich!
- Market stuff, only time will tell.
- Testers in WA? Sick. Can I come ride with you?
- Handle in waves, everything I've experienced with it in the air is insane. Crazy fast and responsive. Need a new word for drift, because this design is unlike any other in that regard. Drifts back as fast as I can tear toward it, the whole time still with the lines engaged. I've never once had to carve upwind to put tension back in the lines. That's all the good news. Relaunch is awesome in every flatwater setting I've experienced, except where there's no wind. Wingtips do a nice job of keeping canopy ends open, but main body needs a puff of wind to open up, especially if there is any water pooled on top of the canopy. Reverse relauch is sick. But, and the big but, how it will be when fully tumbled in the washer? Surely not ideal. But, so far I've been unwilling to compromise any of its performance in the air to change its ability to get worked. Seems like that would be flying the plane with the landing gears down all the time?

Return to “Kitesurfing”