Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Do I want a North Nugget?

Postby Westozzy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:51 am

Slappysan wrote:I find the Mako has way too much rocker to be usable in light wind. Even in heavy wind I find that I have to be really powered to stay upwind on it (once powered upwind is no problem though).

Biggest problem with the Nugget is finding one to buy.

yeh true second that, it is wind hungry at times.But not all that bad. Nugget seems to fit what you want the best.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:33 am

I'm still not really used to mine - I think cos it's stiffer than my other boards. I think it'll rock in flatter water, like at the lake on lighter wind days...

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:03 am

Billy B. wrote:The North Nugget is the best free riding directional kitesurfboard ever.....

Unless you have ridden one you have no idea how good it is... All other surfboards ride like surfboards, the Nugget rides like a dream behind the kite, in chop, in lake swell, in small and even overhead waves... It doesnt ride like any of the other boards mentioned ride, it rides totally different and needs to be ridden to be understood... light wind , heavy wind, little chop , lot of chop, what ever the nugget doesnt care. Unless you are a pro in bigger surf the is no need for any other surfboard for kiting. Plus it adds power in lighter winds..
Funny, did you tried the Cabrinha Subwoofer? Did you tried the F-One Fish 5'10"? Since they are new boards not available yet I guess not, so how can you draw that kind of conclusion? The North Nugget get nice reviews so I am pretty sure it is amazing but who knows how the others will perform....

But at least your passion for this board mean it is certainly really good :thumb:

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.
Been thanked: 0

Postby Billy B. » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:47 am

Séb wrote:
Billy B. wrote:The North Nugget is the best free riding directional kitesurfboard ever.....

Unless you have ridden one you have no idea how good it is... All other surfboards ride like surfboards, the Nugget rides like a dream behind the kite, in chop, in lake swell, in small and even overhead waves... It doesnt ride like any of the other boards mentioned ride, it rides totally different and needs to be ridden to be understood... light wind , heavy wind, little chop , lot of chop, what ever the nugget doesnt care. Unless you are a pro in bigger surf the is no need for any other surfboard for kiting. Plus it adds power in lighter winds..
Funny, did you tried the Cabrinha Subwoofer? Did you tried the F-One Fish 5'10"? Since they are new boards not available yet I guess not, so how can you draw that kind of conclusion? The North Nugget get nice reviews so I am pretty sure it is amazing but who knows how the others will perform....

But at least your passion for this board mean it is certainly really good :thumb:

Really Seb ....you wanna give me shit because I have not ridden boards that are not released yet??.? Tabernac!!! :thumb:

So it only make sense and should be perfectly acceptable that since the boards you mentioned....as well as any board made in the future can and should not be compared to any out now?.?.

Just by being a life long surfer, and board shaper for around 25 years I am going to quess by the shapes of the boards you posted they do not ride like the nugget.. I am just wheezing since they are not released....

Nugget still rules...what did you think of it when you rode it?.?.

I Wasserstein just out on 2013 rebel for the first time...it was really 17m wind but I rode 12m and nugget in like 11knots at 5500 feet above sea level.....

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:57 am

Billy B. wrote:
Séb wrote:

Really Seb ....you wanna give me shit because I have not ridden boards that are not released yet??.? Tabernac!!! :thumb:

So it only make sense and should be perfectly acceptable that since the boards you mentioned....as well as any board made in the future can and should not be compared to any out now?.?.

Just by being a life long surfer, and board shaper for around 25 years I am going to quess by the shapes of the boards you posted they do not ride like the nugget.. I am just wheezing since they are not released....

Nugget still rules...what did you think of it when you rode it?.?.

I Wasserstein just out on 2013 rebel for the first time...it was really 17m wind but I rode 12m and nugget in like 11knots at 5500 feet above sea level.....
I agree with him completely. you shouldn't comment on a 2012 Nugget until you've tested the 2014 or 2015 cabrinha and f-one boards! it would be naive to comment on a board without testing boards that may come out in a couple of years time :thumb:

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:36 am

Billy,

My point is that the way you said it is that this board ride better than all the boards mentionned above in this post. Just give some time at least to the one that have been mentioned here in this post but are not ready yet to compare. That is just what I mean. However if you are pretty sure just by looking at the shape then ok, I will take your words.

Thank you

olinozanussi
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Figueira da Foz
Style: mainly wave
Gear: tt, mut & surfboards for waves + home made converted raceboard
old naish x4, old waroo+ eclipse kima 6 & 9!

Postby olinozanussi » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:58 am

if you want to kite surf waves in really ligth wind, (and even if it picks up a bit) go for it!
I love my nugget! my savior for this last summer season, lots of sessions i was the only one going upwind and catching waves everybody else was on the beach.
The real diference from the nugget to free race boards is that its really easy to turn, no pain in the legs what so ever.
Attachments
380200_201334093321256_1587408949_n.jpg

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:50 pm

I posted this almost a year ago. One of our locals, Rob, just got the Nugget a few days before. It was his first go-out.

http://wetstuff.com/movie/Rob_330min.mov

What impressed me was that our bay can be really nasty on a TT because of the short chop. He seems to plow over it rather that thru it.

Jim

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:59 am

That looks like what we have to put up with... but the swells here are bigger I reckon, and that and the chop is going every which way but loose.

Looks like he's just blowing right through it though...! Mmm...

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:08 pm

To answer your question: YES I want a North Nugget. NOW!
I don't even need to try it: from its lovely shape and dimensions, and past experience with similar shaped boards, I know it's gonna fit the bill perfectly as a compromise between my beloved Mako Wide and Airush Sector, and to a lesser degree, my lotsa fun Nobile Skim.
Nugget and FS Speed 4 will be a nice combo, surely.
But where can I get it quick in Central Europe or Thailand where I'll be back soon?
Thanks for tips. :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”