Medium Poster
Style: Jumping
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

kiteloop question

Postby Gnarfskt » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:29 pm

I have started to try doing kiteloops with my Airush Varial X 9m, but I´m not really satisfied with the result. The problem is that the kite barely, or in some cases, doesn't catch me.

I have good height in my jumps so I don't think that´s the major problem. I know that you need at least 4-5 meters in order to complete the kiteloop.

Instead I´m wondering if the problem might be that I send the kite to 1 o'clock and start the loop the kite from there? When you wanna jump high then sending the kite past 12 is the way to go, but perhaps is this not good idea when you want to make a kiteloop? I´m thinking that it´s harder to let the kite catch you if you loop from 13 to 13 instead of 12 to 12?

Another thing I wonder. Do you sheet in the bar fully when you make your kiteloops?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: kiteloop question

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:43 pm

Loop it depowered...then it turns faster/tighter...otherwise it makes a wider loop

Gnarfskt
Medium Poster

Postby Gnarfskt » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Toby wrote:Loop it depowered...then it turns faster/tighter...otherwise it makes a wider loop
Depowered as if I have pulled the depower strap? Or depowered as if I don't sheet in the bar fully?

tr3v
Frequent Poster
Gear: BWS, CSA Surfboards, Sirocco

Postby tr3v » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:14 pm

Toby wrote:Loop it depowered...then it turns faster/tighter...otherwise it makes a wider loop
I have always pulled the bar in to loop quickly, then push the bar out for the kite to come up high enough to catch me in time. I guess it will depend on the kite?

Gnarfskt
Medium Poster

Postby Gnarfskt » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:44 am

tr3v wrote:
I have always pulled the bar in to loop quickly, then push the bar out for the kite to come up high enough to catch me in time. I guess it will depend on the kite?
Not saying that I´m an expert on kiteloops, but I also thought that the kite made a faster loop with the bar fully sheeted in. With more power though, but also more likely to catch you since it will complete the loop in a shorter time compared to looping the kite depowered?

speedyRider
Frequent Poster

Postby speedyRider » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:31 am

Bar pulled in = tighter and faster kiteloop over your head = less power
Bar out = open arc and slower kiteloop megaloop style = more power

Its the opposite to what our intuition would tell us.

So, do a high jump, and right BEFORE the apex of the jump pull the bar all the way back and with bar fully sheeted in. Commit or dont do it at all, you have to overcome the mental fear of pulling the bar when going up. As you probably will learn the hard way its better to pull completely to avoid a big crash, so commit 200% to the loop, dont hesitate. This will do a tight and fast loop over your head (keep kite at 12 is better so the kite recovers to 12 faster). On the way down sheet out so the kite goes faster over your head again. Right before landing sheet in and either kiteloop it or downloop it so you keep riding, dont forget to land completely downwind

Common problems:

If your height is not good then kite wont catch you
if you do it on the way down on the jump kite probably wont catch you
if your bar is out or dont pull enough the kite will do a slow loop with much more power and wont catch you (on early attempts) and you can even crash it in the water and you dont want that
If kite is left behind on the jump too much it wont recover to 12 as fast so it wont catch you.

Good luck and start doing it with moderate wind and on starting on the way down. Then as you start to overcome your natural fear pull the bar earlier and earlier till you do it before the apex and later with more and more wind. Be careful, its addictive

Gnarfskt
Medium Poster

Postby Gnarfskt » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:13 am

Thanks for clearing things out speedy!

Just one thing, what do you mean by "If kite is left behind on the jump too much it wont recover to 12 as fast so it wont catch you"

Do you mean that it´s a bad idea to send the kite to 11 or 13 when you plan to loop the kite at the apex of your jump? Is it better to send the kite to 12 even though the jump might not get as high as if you send it to 11 or 13?

speedyRider
Frequent Poster

Postby speedyRider » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:24 am

Means that is less ideal to loop it FROM 11 than from 12 (for the type of loop you want to do now). The arc will be more in the power zone, more open and will be slower, so more power and wont catch you so fast.

If you see some videos from the pros they pull the bar really early almost like a continous movement from the bar, so they loop it from 11 but that yank its going to be too big for you now.

If you are well powered in the kite, you can do a high jump from 1 to 11 for example, then after launching redirect kite a bit to 12 and loop it from there. If your jump is not that high you wont have time to do all that so you can send it past 12 oclock but not too much and loop it from there, just try to redirect it to 12 a bit after launching

Hey after all my writing we deserve a video of your tries ;) Do it and post it so we can see the progress or crashes :jump:

Gnarfskt
Medium Poster

Postby Gnarfskt » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:58 am

speedyRider wrote:Means that is less ideal to loop it FROM 11 than from 12 (for the type of loop you want to do now). The arc will be more in the power zone, more open and will be slower, so more power and wont catch you so fast.

If you see some videos from the pros they pull the bar really early almost like a continous movement from the bar, so they loop it from 11 but that yank its going to be too big for you now.

If you are well powered in the kite, you can do a high jump from 1 to 11 for example, then after launching redirect kite a bit to 12 and loop it from there. If your jump is not that high you wont have time to do all that so you can send it past 12 oclock but not too much and loop it from there, just try to redirect it to 12 a bit after launching

Hey after all my writing we deserve a video of your tries ;) Do it and post it so we can see the progress or crashes :jump:
I´ll see what I can do!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.