Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Western australia warning

Postby Westozzy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:53 pm

tautologies wrote:

Number hey? How do you know they are endangered? Got any more silly stats on that? Done an entire environmental science and biology degree on this stuff, heard all the arguments with lots of stats and other crap, don't buy it. People are dying, thats it.
You still don't see the effect of emotional arguments like that?

A analogy can be drawn with the poor people arriving by leaky boats to our shore. You can throw all sorts of stats around, they cost the taxpayer so much, they will come here and take our jobs, they are risking their lives etc etc. then I made friends with someone who came by boat and listened and learned of his personal story. It changes your 'rationale' arguments if there is such a thing. Sit down with one of the families who has lost someone to a shark and spit our your stats and philosopihical hug a tree and save the gay whale bollocks and look them in the eye.

Just saying there is a personal story/s here that to me overrides the protection of an ecosystem that is already / maybe out of balance. Sorry don't have any stats for you.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:24 pm

Anecdotes are better than stats every time. And you know, there's a worse menace out there than sharks. Sting rays. Crocodile hunter get stabbed in the heart by one. I never knew anyone personally who got eaten by a shark but I watched crocodile hunter on tv so I knew him. This means sting rays are more dangerous than sharks. Crikey.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:00 pm

Those last two posts pretty much say it all.
Like edt said, we should go on a killing spree of stingrays ..or snakes ..or jellyfish ...or spiders ..or crocs..... or what else?
Anything that kills someone we knew or loved?
This concept is not about tree hugging philosophical gay whale bollocks, or anything else you don't personally care for.

I knew a guy who got shot in the eye and died.
The two guys who did it, were quickly located and sent to prison, they were able to be found and their future actions were able to be controlled, so it made sense to find them and remove them.
There is no way to find a shark that has bitten a person, unlike the two criminals who took this guys life, with a deliberate act of breaking society's rules.

Sharks eat what is in the water with them, they do it every day to live, and we want them to eat things, so our oceans will continue to work correctly, they're not breaking any rules.
The bear stories that were discussed, where the bear is one identifiable animal that you can go find and remove, then great, go get him and remove him from being a further danger.

It's great that you have compassion for people and it's easy to have compassion for those that we know and love, but it has nothing to do with ridding the oceans of sharks just so we can go play without worry, that shit it totally arrogant and ignorant.
Everybody is sorry for the person you knew, just like the dead guy who I knew, but I didn't adopt a policy to wipe out every 20 year old black guy in a hooded sweatshirt because a couple of them killed somebody I knew...that would be pretty ignorant and would not solve a problem or bring this guy back to life.

Further diminishing the shark population is not a good idea. There are some animals that will go extinct that we can probably survive without, but I don't think sharks are one of them.

kazama-fury
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby kazama-fury » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:22 pm

dusta
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby dusta » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:45 am

Slappysan wrote:Have any of the attacks in WA been on kitesurfers? I have my doubts that you'd get attacked if you are out kiting or SUP surfing. It's really just the prone surfers that look so tasty to the sharks.
NONE . shark attacks don't happen when the wind is up and the water is all disturbed and cloudy . Shark attacks mostly happen early morning or last light when it is mainly calm and their feeding time . but yes euro's stay away , wicked camper vans have shut down so there are no vans available for you to camp in our carparks and shit on the grass .

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:31 am

WA - kiter at wedge island - bit of a nip.. kiter eaten in new cal last year. It is pretty nuts what has happened - what is it 5/6 in 6 months in WA - what are the real stats..?

Return to “Kitesurfing”