onein5
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vazon, L'Ancresse/Pembroke
Style: Sketchy!
Gear: Naish Cults 9m 12m, North Rebel 16m, RRD placebo 142 x 45
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What’s Up With north 2013 Surf Line?

Postby onein5 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks Lee, its super helpful to speak to someone who has ridden the boards… I read somewhere that last year’s X-Surf 5’10” was 29 litres (http://www.powerkiteshop.com/north_xsurf.htm) do you think they slimmed the 5’10” down-volume wise this year? Looks like its dropped a quarter inch in width from the spec.

I am a pretty competent surfer and my usual thruster is a 6’2” by 18 3/8 – standard ish design – Ideally I want the X surf to be my small wave board for up to about shoulder high – often not that steep – waves – but it would be great for it to be able to hold a line in overhead surf in case I decided to go away with it to a more consistent destination. (and obviously to ride strapless in light wind too under my kites). I know it’s a Quad which is going to make it skate more than lock in – so I am now thinking the bigger model might be better – but 6’0” feels BIG for a small wave board.

With that in mind (and the fact that I will be riding the WAM strapped when it’s nuking) would you recommend the 5’10” or the 6’0”?

(I know this is just shooting the breeze really and there are about 10,000 other factors to consider – but hey – that’s what forums are for eh?)

(PS Love the blog)

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: What’s Up With north 2013 Surf Line?

Postby letsgoflyakite » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:21 pm

Dan-at-North wrote:I don't know about any delays (at least in the US)... We have been expecting directionals to arrive at the end of September (as in years past) and as far as I know we're still on-target. Same with the twintips. The only delay I've seen is the Vegas is coming a few weeks later than expected, but that could be due to any number of things.

As to the graphics, I would have agreed with you 2 weeks ago. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to paint over the wood finish. But then I got to surf expo and it made a little more sense. The boards look WAY better in person. They have a really tasteful way of showing off the wood through sections of the paint. You can't see it in pictures, but it comes out in person.

On top of that, we've used the pure wood look for the last two years, and when you walk around the expo, all you see is exposed wood veneer from pretty much every other board company. I think our 2013 boards stand out from the crowd and look really good.

And for the record, I also thought that our kites looked terrible in the first images I saw, but I think they look really good in person. Wait till you see them in person and ride them before you cast judgement.

And as for performance, I've only had one weekend on two models and let's just say I'm super stoked on our directionals again this year.

-Dan
Manafactures now seems to be painting their boards white, (take a look at slingshot) so they won't stand out from the crowd other than the ! graphics which look like 3rd place at a 1980's primary school art class competition.

Return to “Kitesurfing”