edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Crazy Jump over bridge

Postby edt » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:09 pm

vannibombonato wrote:.
Then how is it that us humans don't even barely touch those heights??? It's obviously not a matter of gear but skill, i'm seriously wondering what can make such a mega-difference between the results i see on an average beach and THAT. Wow!
Wind. You don't actually have to be overpowered, for instance if you go out when it's blowing 40 knots (about 45mph) on a properly sized small kite you will be able to do massive jumps. When it's blowing 15mph no amount of skill will let you jump a pier.

sfpete
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay area
Style: stayin' alive
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby sfpete » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm

bsideindy wrote:did you really just compare this shit-for-brains punter with the Wright brothers ???
Yes, I did. Brilliant of you to pick it up. People are gonna do crazy stuff. I say, let em. Anyway, there is far too much obvious envy in your criticism of the guy.

aircatcher
Frequent Poster

Postby aircatcher » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:49 pm

sfpete wrote:
bsideindy wrote:did you really just compare this shit-for-brains punter with the Wright brothers ???
Yes, I did. Brilliant of you to pick it up. People are gonna do crazy stuff. I say, let em. Anyway, there is far too much obvious envy in your criticism of the guy.
Yes,some will change the world for better and some will die in the process stupidly.

bsideindy
Medium Poster

Postby bsideindy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:23 pm

sfpete wrote:
I'm more envious of your awesome analogy.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:37 am

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:05 pm

edt wrote:I know you been asking yourself . . . "Does it really take a lot of talent and judgement and skill to jump over the brighton pier?" When spectators said, "He must be a professional" after a kiter jumped that pier in florida, was it true?

Or can someone who just learned how to go upwind jump a pier? Does it actually take no talent at all just stupid "hold my beer and watch this" courage?

thanks to elias seadi we have our answer.
One riders antics do not represent all riders. This is poor criticism, and insulting.

Yes, it does take a lot of skill to jump Brighton pier. Lewis has been a pro for years, I have seen him regularly jump to massive heights, he planned and waited 3 years for the right day, then sailed for a couple of hours untill he spotted the right wave. This is after having completed a jump over another coastal pier a year earlier.

I'm sure it makes you feel inadequate, but no need to run someone down. Or of course, you could just pop down and show him how it's done, properly and not just chancing it? I'm sure him being just a chancer, you will run him ragged with your 'professional' chop hops :rollgrin:

Return to “Kitesurfing”