Style: Freestyle
Gear: RRD Obsession 9m
Naish Cult 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pensacola Florida?

Postby tunceskite415 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:35 pm

My Son is joining the Navy and will be stationed in Pensacola Florida. Anyone have insight on the prospects of kiting in the area?

Scribble
Rare Poster

Re: Pensacola Florida?

Postby Scribble » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:25 pm

I don't have any beta on Pensacola specifically, but everywhere around there seems to be good for kiting. I grew up in Alabama an hour east of Pensacola and I take my gear home whenever I visit. It's always windy somewhere near there around the holidays. The great thing about the area too is with all the barrier islands around you can usually find somewhere that a particular wind direction works. I've kited mostly in Mobile Bay and messed around in the gulf near Gulf Shores, but I know people used to kite at a park near the Florida border. I know they had banned kiting in the park at some point because they thought it was disturbing birds or something. Hopefully that has changed now. Navarre Beach is also really good and is really close to Pensacola.

I would think that the summer would be pretty dead, but the rest of the year should be good. Check http://www.fksa.org/

I believe there is a shop in Pensacola also.

One last thing. At least in my hometown on Mobile Bay, kiting hasn't really caught on yet so there's some pretty epic spots that no one goes to.

Andy

Chickenwing504
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mississppi gulf coast
Gear: 13m switch element

Postby Chickenwing504 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:00 am

I was in Pensacola a few weeks ago, and saw someone about a mile east of the pensacola beach pier. The beach is usually pretty open from the portifino condos eastward. If your son is stationed at NAS Pensacola, just behind the barracks is a little beach. I am prior navy and remember hanging out on the beach on base and from what I remember, it was pretty big, but it would all depend on wind direction. Best of luck to you and your son.

neworleansrich
Medium Poster

Postby neworleansrich » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:10 am

Contact Megan at http://www.kiteboardcafe.com/ You will find a good friendly group of riders in P-cola. Good beaches to ride and a bit of wind in the fall, winter, and spring. Summers are light.

Also XLkites in Ft Walton Beach.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:24 am

There is a somewhat active Facebook group xlkites fort Walton beach. People in the area are all pretty friendly & We are getting into our windy season

TravisGlover
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: KiteboardCafe.com

Postby TravisGlover » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:14 pm

We've got a great group of riders. The fastest way to plug into the group is:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pensacolakiteboarding/

Or as Rich said (thanks Rich ;)

http://www.kiteboardcafe.com

We have some great riding spots. Looking forward to meeting you!

-Travis

Return to “Kitesurfing”