KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Q for instructors: students drift launching in deep wate

Postby KiteCulture » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:42 pm

this is a tough one. As an instructor, I have a great beach with really shallow water, but for my personal riding, I sometimes use a pretty sketchy launch with deep water, and rocky/shale launch area. More often then not, I'll set up the kite at the edge of the rocks, run out my lines, then push the kite in the water, run back to the bar, leach attach and then spend the next moments in fear that the lines will wrap under a rock causing issues. But lately I've been using a spare leash to tie off to a small tree or rock, hook that into the bar and I run out the kite to the edge. No issues, no worries.

Another option for these guys... how about tying off the bar to the anchored boat once unwrapped, and running the kite to the edge? That way both student and instructor can be in the same place. I think it's one thing to explain to a student what is going to happen versus coach them through it, AS it happens.

In normal beach launches, if I have two students, One holds the kite while I coach the other on how to launch, then we trade, then get into the water and do the rest of the lesson. Either way... hats off the the deep water guys. I have no doubt that there are a lot of variables to think about. Anyone read that story about the lessons in france that resulted in a death? TOo many students, too many kites, one boat, one instructor and all bad news. be safe out there.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:18 pm

Ok, I know I am going to get a hard time about this, but its the only pic I have of this. Yes, I have a pink T2. It was cheap and I needed a 14M (Heckle away) :lol:

Anyway, once we have the kite in the water, we often D ring the chicken loop to the ski rope point. This works well for waiting on better winds and just taking a break. One warning about doing this is that you want to make sure you have the anchor, boat, then kite all lined up downwind. We have had some issues doing this both when the boat comes un-anchored, or the boat drifts crosswind due to currents. It is all manageable as long as you keep an eye on things.

It is fairly easy to launch and fly just sitting on the back of the boat if the wind isn't too gusty, and for lessons, it is easier to swap the kite from one person to another out of the water (I don't teach, but we often switch the kite one person to another while it is aloft). I have even launched and flown the kite with the chicken loop attached to the boat with no problems (just to see if I could)

I imagine we will all get a good look at how a kite school does this once Nico posts his video. He has given me some good advice in previous posts and I look forward to seeing his system. What I took from his advice was that simpler is better (no need for gadgets) and that has proved to be true using various methods to get the kite and lines in the water.
Attachments
kite to boat.jpg

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:11 am

Hi again.
There is no reason why a leash should be used. Full stop.
This is just a shortcut to get the riders on their board with a minimum of work.
The upwind body drag should be minimum skill of the student before putting him on the board.
Is your school registered with any association of schooling body ?
Rgds
Nico

danie178
Medium Poster

Postby danie178 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:32 am

Hang on a bit............

this is not drift launching! Drift launching is having the kite inflated and letting it drift away form you with all lines checked and double checked again. And with one hand on the Q/R as well. We teach this method to advanced students once they have a few months skills under their belt, but only on request, we prefer to have them assisted launch.

As for the boat launch. What the student was requested to do. In Fiji its common practice to boat launch. you set up the kite on land lines and all and carefully wind the lines up onto the bar. whne close to the kite you let the leading edge down and roll the kite in from the tips to the centre, wrap your harness round it and put it in the boat with the bar ready to go.

once you are at the site, you grab the bar put your harness on and swim the lines out unwinding as you go, while the kite is pumped on the boat. check your lines are all sweet swim upwind to the right angle and then they let go of the kite!

sorted ! i launched this way for two weeks and had no dramas at all.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:51 am

Hi Nico, it's not "my school", there are lots of school on the lake, most of all IKO registered, who use the leash here!! Everyone use the leash with beginners, I know it should sound strange but that is. I don't use any leash, I know how dangerous it can be, but, believe me, with student the leash here on the lake is not "common", is the rule.

@KYLakeKiter: at this point I thins this launch method it's a lake-locals habit! :D

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:28 pm

I definitely agree that upwind body dragging is the skill any beginner needs to have down before they head out on a board (leash or not). Dragging upwind to get your board is just an inconvenience, but doing it repetitively gets you prepared for when you really need that skill to get yourself out of trouble or avoid obstacles.

I think all of us lake kiters jumped on this topic because we all have deep water methods and opinions. It's good to see others out there. Looking forward to seeing more related topics. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”