2013 Slingshot Rally review

Forum for kitesurfers
fourperf
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2013 Slingshot Rally review

Postby fourperf » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:03 pm

ulx wrote:Funny thing. I was allowed to keep the 8m a while longer. And found myself not wanting to take my 9m rpm instead ;-) Had a lot of fun in choppy conditions with the long bar. And found it quite amazing how it helps my strapless riding in these conditions. Transitions felt much smoother and it was the very first time I landed several backrolls (with a kiteloop in the end). Today I sold my 12 and 9 m rpm and will replace it with 10 and 8 m Rally. By the way. The low-end is really fantanstic. I could do my strapless jumps/attempts (transitions, backrolls, frontrolls) in about 14-16 knots with my 2012 Celeritas. I guess if my 6m rpm sells well I will replace that, too. So, not love at first site. Sometimes it just takes a while longer. Haven't used it in waves again yet, but hope that I will have loads of fun there now, too.

I have found the same thing as you. There are the obvious things (rigidity,stability and range) that you notice as soon as you fly one. They take a bit of getting used to if you come off of a 2012 rally because they fly so different

TonyL
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby TonyL » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Well - finally ordered the 2013 12m Rally! Can't wait to ride it! Hope it drifts well and jumps great. Have been riding Cab Switchblades. After reading all the reviews - that seemed to be the conclusion. I don't usually buy kites without a demo first. Hope I won't be disappointed!

Tony

fourperf
Frequent Poster

Postby fourperf » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:01 pm

TonyL wrote:Well - finally ordered the 2013 12m Rally! Can't wait to ride it! Hope it drifts well and jumps great. Have been riding Cab Switchblades. After reading all the reviews - that seemed to be the conclusion. I don't usually buy kites without a demo first. Hope I won't be disappointed!

Tony
If its drift and a good boosting kite youre after you will be stoked. Post your opinion after you get it.
Mark

TonyL
Medium Poster

Postby TonyL » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Will do. Thanks Mark.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:04 pm

fourperf wrote:
TonyL wrote:Well - finally ordered the 2013 12m Rally! Can't wait to ride it! Hope it drifts well and jumps great. Have been riding Cab Switchblades. After reading all the reviews - that seemed to be the conclusion. I don't usually buy kites without a demo first. Hope I won't be disappointed!

Tony
If its drift and a good boosting kite youre after you will be stoked. Post your opinion after you get it.
Mark
Aren't good drifting characteristics and good boost a bit a odds with each other in terms of design parameters?

Most big boosting kites seem to fly more forward in the window and are generally moderate to high aspect.

Ed

TonyL
Medium Poster

Postby TonyL » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:24 pm

They are at odds - that is why if this kite drifts and boosts good - it is a winner! From what I have read seems to do both well. We will see. Should have the kite this week. Hopefully will have some wind again soon.

MrNacho
Rare Poster
Local Beach: The Hood, Mexico
Style: Surfboard
Gear: 2013 Slingshot Rally

Postby MrNacho » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:43 pm

I’ve “personally “ been riding SS Rally’s for the past two years in the Gorge mainly strapped on a 5-11”pit so this is my opinion of the SS Rally’s 2012 vs. 2013. I must admit my first impressions of the 2013 Rallys was mixed but I did not let the 1st, 2nd or 3rd session bias my opinion just yet, first impressions can sometimes be misleading. Now I’ve have had at least 25-30 sessions on the 2013s I really like the redesigned 2013 Rallys for what they are, a more powerful performance kite.

My first mistake, the 2012 Rally 8m is not the same as the 2013 8m, the 2013 generates more power and for that matter all the sizes have more respective power. Thanks to some of the obvious – larger reflex wing tips, mini struts and forward attachment points the canopy is rock solid and less forgiving than the 2012s, it doesn’t twist, flex or over sheet and larger riders will like that. When you demo the kite consider sizing down, of course use your best judgment but think smaller kite if you’re on the fence.

The first thing you might notice is the slight increase in bar pressure, your well established muscle memory for the 2012s Rally bar won’t work, it requires more bar input than your use to. And yes, in my opinion, the kite does not pivot turn as fast size for size (think smaller kite = faster turning speed). However it will turn fast enough it just requires more bar input than your use to. So, try a slightly wider hand placement on the bar and/or use more force. I’ve also tried the 10m (wider) bar on the 8m; it helps but the 10m lines are 3 meters longer and add an additional element.

Now, what do you give up? Well, if super turning speed is the most important attribute you must have then the 2013 Rally might not be the kite for you. However what do you gain? It generates more power, better low-end grunt, wider wind range, precise handling, better upwind capability, easier kite relaunching, bigger more explosive airs, better loft and hang times, softer landings and it drifts perfectly…

So are the 2013 Rally’s right for you? Demo once, twice, three times have an open mind without expectations and have fun. Find out what the kite does rather than holding on to expectation of the past. You might find, as I have, I can live without the “super fast” turning speed of the 2012s, but all that I have gained I really like. For me this is a great kite for the characteristics it does have, it might not be what you expect but give it a chance and relish in all the new attributes it does have. So visit Windance here in the gorge or a Slingshot dealer near you and form your own opinions.

Cheers,
MrNatcho

TonyL
Medium Poster

Postby TonyL » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:28 pm

MrNatcho-

Thanks for the post! I have not been on any Rally's. I went off all the feedback from these posts. I like the jumping of my swiitchblade but it does not drift well. Sounds like the Rally jumps and drifts. It is hard to find that combination. Seems like the kite companies want you to buy a surf specific kite and then have a second kite for everything else. I ordered the 2013 12m rally last week. I am 6'3" 195 lbs. Want it for 14 to 20 knots or so. Looking forward to riding it and posting a review. Thanks again.

Tony

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:32 am

I've spent a bunch of hours on the 2013 Rally and on the Ozone Reo and can say that I am incredulous that anyone considers the Rally a great drifter. Maybe it's good at Drifting and OK at waves, but ride a dedicated wave kite and the Rally just doesn't come close. Watching others wave ride the 2012 I have a similar impression of that kite too.

- Droffats

fourperf
Frequent Poster

Postby fourperf » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:37 am

droffats wrote:I've spent a bunch of hours on the 2013 Rally and on the Ozone Reo and can say that I am incredulous that anyone considers the Rally a great drifter. Maybe it's good at Drifting and OK at waves, but ride a dedicated wave kite and the Rally just doesn't come close. Watching others wave ride the 2012 I have a similar impression of that kite too.

- Droffats
Must disagree. Been kiting 11 yrs always in the surf. Flown every brand and always trying different kites. The rally 2012 is the best wave kite I have ever flown or owned. I think it was just about perfect. As a wave specific kite the 2013 rally's might not be quite as good due to the slower turning speed but awesome kites nonetheless (I think a better all around kite as I stated befor). for the surf it doesn't get much better than the 2012 rally's IMHO. It's all very subjective though I know.

Mark

Return to “Kitesurfing”