Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

c kite sits further back in the window...

forum for kitesurfers


alex85
Medium Poster
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:41 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Rimini , italy
Favorite Beaches: Every where is sunny and windy
Style: 50% OLDSCHOOL 50% NEWSCHOOL
Gear: North Rhino 2006 16 meters
North Vegas 2014 12,9,7
North team series 2016 138x41
Brand Affiliation: None

c kite sits further back in the window...

Postby alex85 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:10 pm

I read often that one of the features of a C shape kite is that it sits further back in the wind window and this is what help with unhooked tricks. Many brands that made a "hybrid C" talk about that flying ability, just an example from Ozone website for their C4:

New School Setting
The C4 ships standard on this setting, it provides a slightly heavier and direct feel compared to the Freeride setting. The kite sits back a little bit more in the wind window when un-hooking, providing a more powerful load up and pop perfect for New School freestyle & wakestyle.

Ok, ok...but, what does it means exactly???
How does it help with unhooked tricks???

User avatar
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3976
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Style: unhooked and hooked boots only
Gear: slingshot, north, liquid force, cmb, pansh
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: c kite sits further back in the window........

Postby edt » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:26 pm

when a kite sits deeper in the wind window it tugs you directly downwind more, loads up the lines harder, pops more, goes upwind worse

FarQueLot
Medium Poster
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:37 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Labia

Re: c kite sits further back in the window........

Postby FarQueLot » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:12 am

When you carve hard to pop off the water, this causes the kite to travel to the edge of the window, because the kite sits deeper in the window it has further to go so a longer power stroke to load the lines, therefore you get more aggressive pop.

User avatar
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3976
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Style: unhooked and hooked boots only
Gear: slingshot, north, liquid force, cmb, pansh
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: c kite sits further back in the window........

Postby edt » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:00 am

FarQueLot wrote:When you carve hard to pop off the water, this causes the kite to travel to the edge of the window, because the kite sits deeper in the window it has further to go so a longer power stroke to load the lines, therefore you get more aggressive pop.



Far, I always thought that with a C kite here's what happens:

You tension the lines, pop out of the water, then the kite yanks you hard downwind. The kite never goes to the edge of the wind window, it stays powered hard deep in the wind window. But because the kite yanks you downwind, you get some slack from the kite because you are headed towards the kite.

Then with a bow kite what happens is this:

You gain a lot of speed, but can't tension the lines that much, because the kite stays at the edge of the wind window. Then when you pop you convert this speed to upward motion but there is not as much yank downwind, and because of this, the kite keeps pulling you with a constant tension the entire time.

But I don't look at the kite that often so I could be wrong maybe a C kite does go to the edge of the window when you pop.

FarQueLot
Medium Poster
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:37 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Labia

Re: c kite sits further back in the window........

Postby FarQueLot » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:10 am

haven't analysed it to much but know with c's if ya want to get them to the edge dig ya heels in, same as when ya goin for max pop

User avatar
funalex
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2002 1:00 am

Re: c kite sits further back in the window........

Postby funalex » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:43 am

a c kite don't instant peak to the edge of the wind window...it stay with a constant speed at any angle of attack.

when you pop, you add a lot of angle of attack to your kite, in the following second when you release the pop, the angle of attack become very low.

a C kite at very low angle of attack want to fall, to pivot arround it's front pigtail, and it take more time to recover its power, giving you more time to pass the bar...

with a racing kite, after the pop, the kite accelerate taking too much power for 2 second...giving you good pop, but no slack ! and because the kite sit farther in the wind window, it can disturb you to get a good pop, because the approach become more complicated, and not usual with other kites.

alex85
Medium Poster
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:41 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Rimini , italy
Favorite Beaches: Every where is sunny and windy
Style: 50% OLDSCHOOL 50% NEWSCHOOL
Gear: North Rhino 2006 16 meters
North Vegas 2014 12,9,7
North team series 2016 138x41
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: c kite sits further back in the window........

Postby alex85 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:16 pm

funalex wrote:a c kite don't instant peak to the edge of the wind window...it stay with a constant speed at any angle of attack.


Do you mean that a c kite flies every moment at the edge of the window while you're riding?

funalex wrote:when you pop, you add a lot of angle of attack to your kite, in the following second when you release the pop, the angle of attack become very low.

a C kite at very low angle of attack want to fall, to pivot arround it's front pigtail, and it take more time to recover its power, giving you more time to pass the bar...

with a racing kite, after the pop, the kite accelerate taking too much power for 2 second...giving you good pop, but no slack ! and because the kite sit farther in the wind window, it can disturb you to get a good pop, because the approach become more complicated, and not usual with other kites.


What do you mean exactly when you talk albout angle of attack?

LiquidTempus
Rare Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:05 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Mitchell's Bay, Ontario, Canada
Gear: 16m Liquid Force Havoc 2 (2008)
12m North Rebel (2010)
9.5m Best Kahoona (2010/11)
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: c kite sits further back in the window........

Postby LiquidTempus » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:55 pm

You won't really understand until you go fly one.

If you have almost any other kite, if you edge hard directly up wind. The kite will fly very quickly to the edge of the window and you will lose power and stop. C-kites will be much slower to fly forward to the edge.

Ludmil
Frequent Poster
Posts: 479
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:26 pm
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Varna,Bulgaria

Re: c kite sits further back in the window........

Postby Ludmil » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:05 pm

edt wrote:
FarQueLot wrote:When you carve hard to pop off the water, this causes the kite to travel to the edge of the window, because the kite sits deeper in the window it has further to go so a longer power stroke to load the lines, therefore you get more aggressive pop.



Far, I always thought that with a C kite here's what happens:

You tension the lines, pop out of the water, then the kite yanks you hard downwind. The kite never goes to the edge of the wind window, it stays powered hard deep in the wind window. But because the kite yanks you downwind, you get some slack from the kite because you are headed towards the kite.

Then with a bow kite what happens is this:

You gain a lot of speed, but can't tension the lines that much, because the kite stays at the edge of the wind window. Then when you pop you convert this speed to upward motion but there is not as much yank downwind, and because of this, the kite keeps pulling you with a constant tension the entire time.

But I don't look at the kite that often so I could be wrong maybe a C kite does go to the edge of the window when you pop.[/quote]

The Cs /at least those I have and tested/, when loaded properly fly to the edge of wind window.Most bows and hybrids are siting deeper in the window and some are producing great pop.Cs may sit as deep as bow and vice versa, but bow does not moving to the edge wich means less or no slack.

alex85
Medium Poster
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:41 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Rimini , italy
Favorite Beaches: Every where is sunny and windy
Style: 50% OLDSCHOOL 50% NEWSCHOOL
Gear: North Rhino 2006 16 meters
North Vegas 2014 12,9,7
North team series 2016 138x41
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: c kite sits further back in the window........

Postby alex85 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:53 pm

So everyone is agree that C sits deeper in the wind window...but It seems that there are two differents theories about what happens when you pop/edge against a Ckite: basically someone says that a Ckite gives slack because it stays in that positions more than a Bow and someone says that a c kite gives slack because it runs to the edge of the window...Here is what I found searching on the web, look from minute 5:20:

http://mpora.com/videos/PuZkut210


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, Peert and 18 guests