Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Help - Kiteboarding instruction banned in HI spot?

Forum for kitesurfers
kailua1983
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help - Kiteboarding instruction banned in HI spot?

Postby kailua1983 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:36 pm

Aloha friends,

I just created a petition: Honolulu City Council: Vote "NO" on Bill 11, because I care deeply about this very important issue. Please sign my petition by clicking here:
http://www.change.org/petitions/honolul ... nXYOKcdweN

It'll just take a minute!

We have only 1 day before the City votes on this matter. If Bill 11 passes, all commercial activity - including kiteboard instruction - will be banned on Kailua Beach, closing down kiting schools at the ONLY spot on Oahu suitable to learn Kiteboarding.

Once you're done, please ask your friends to sign the petition and post on Facebook, as well. Grassroots movements succeed because people like you are willing to spread the word!

Mahalo for your support,

Kim

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Re: HELP -Kiteboarding instruction banned in HI spot?

Postby Brent4336 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:59 pm

your link is broken

lchen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, 3rd Avenue, Sherman
Favorite Beaches: Sherman
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North Vegas 7/9/12/14
Tona Flow 136
Tona Pop 138
Brand Affiliation: Tona

Re: Help - Kiteboarding instruction banned in HI spot?

Postby lchen » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:07 am

I believe this is the correct link:

Stop Bill 11

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:35 am

Signed and shared it on Facebook. I wish you guys the best of luck!

www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:57 am

Bill Passed today.
What a bunch of idiots. Both, the politicians and shop owners.
Everybody wanted to make cash with no regards to other beach goers .
The idiots at town hall went overboard by being lazy. Easier to ban all, then "police" individual problems.
Now you can't have a party, tents, birthdays for kids, sport events, baby strollers, etc anymore.
People loose their jobs because some money hungry dumb f&^s can't play by the rules. They caused this.
Too bad all others have to pay for it. Thanx, f^&heads!

I am pissed because now they come and fu^ other beaches up.
Don't even think about bringing your crap to town.
Fix it over there.
There is always a way to make all happy.
The Major did not sign it yet, btw.
PS: Some shops did play nice ( and a big kudos to them), some just did not. Those are the ones who everybody has to send a nice "thank you" note to.

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:43 pm

That sucks dude.
I would be boycotting all the shops who supported it. With no customers, they have no shop... :nono:

What gets me is the apathy of most every kiter on the planet. Most won't take a minute to help preserve access- it's "not my problem", or I don't kite there.
I have almost 3000 kiter 'friends" on FaceKook- not one reply, like, share or anything was said by anyone about this ban- WTF is wrong with people?

My vision for the sport has always been simple- bring together local associations in order to create a larger base of support for access problems like this one. Participation should be automatic if people are TRUE kiteboarders. The problem is/ has always been money.
Not that it cost a dime to say you support something, but the fact that nobody wants to do a fucking thing unless they are profiting from it.

Rant over, thanks for your efforts Kailua kiters. :thumb:

www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

lalawyer
Frequent Poster

Postby lalawyer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:55 pm

I'm on my way to Oahu today. Whats the status of kiteboarding at Kailua? Should I be leaving my kite gear at home?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:29 pm

lalawyer wrote:I'm on my way to Oahu today. Whats the status of kiteboarding at Kailua? Should I be leaving my kite gear at home?
No kiteboarding is fully legal..just not instruction. Well shit I don't really know. They banned and not banned..thee was just so much back and forth I don't even know.

Speedkillz
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mokuleia, Kailua
Style: Freeride, Wave
Gear: Switch Element 13m, Switch Element 9m

Postby Speedkillz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:39 pm

You can still kite. I was just there on Wednesday. Bring your kites! Just don't try to sell or buy anything on the beach.

Kailua is definitely setting a silly precedent with the commercial ban. Fortunately it is blowing up in there faces as the tour buses are now making drop-offs in the side streets and causing huge amounts of traffic -- exactly what the bans were attempting to remedy.

Most of the rest of the island (especially up here North Shore) is self-policing when it comes to this silliness. Bans and more laws won't fix the 'problems' because hey, this is HI. Laws only get enforced once in a while anyway. Need an example? Show me a video of an HPD motorcycle patrol driving anywhere under the speed limit, and I'll buy you lunch. Show me a video of an HPD officer using a turn signal, and I'll buy you a Loco Moco. If the people responsible for enforcing all these goofy laws have no respect for the law, what makes the people of Kailua (the ones responsible for the bans) think that the cops will enforce them? Tourism and the money it brings in is what keeps the lights on here. Sometimes we have to put up with some tourist goofiness if we want to have all of the conveniences that their money buys us.

Now look. I'm all worked up. Oh well, time to go kite and say hi to some honu. Pretty hard to stay mad when you are skipping across crystal clear waters and dodging green sea turtles :)

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:57 am

jeez i am moving to hawaii to get into the sign making business, I never seen so many signs telling you what you cannot do in my life, freeeeedoooom lol. Same same, a board sports culture used endlessly in helping with marketing is given the middle finger once the places become expensive/developed, no place to do safe lessons - more trouble ahead.. I find Hawaii an extremely repressive place coming from NZ, there are less and less younger riders when I visit and more and more rules about everything. Quality of life does not have to be measured by money, a bit of freedom is nice. Same goes with the new accommodation rules, they suck too for boardsport types. Hawaiian are flying direct to auckland from next year, come and see some awesomeness, Jan/feb real nice. Houseswap? - nah - probably illegal lol..

what i have seen of lessons at kailua was strange mind you, tourists swimming with and around the downed kites.

Return to “Kitesurfing”