Rare Poster
Style: Race/Freeride
Gear: North Fuse 7 12
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding, Mystic
Has thanked: 0

Low end question!

Postby misfit132 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi,

I would like to ask some expirienced light wind riders about low end.

I ride Flysurfer Speed 3 15m Standart Edition and North Jamie 132/40, and I weight 70kg
I can baerly ride with this in 10 knots it goes but not 100% pleasure.

+ I also can add 6m extension lines on based 21m lines - Speed3.

Now I am planning to buy North Spike 163/46,5 light wind board. Would I be able to ride it with light wind board at 8 knots well powered?

Thank you very much!

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: Low end question!

Postby Brent4336 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:57 pm

I'm no authority on flysurfers, but think your probably close on your estimate. Those kites like apparent wind over being worked up and down and there is a degree of skill that unlocks the the absolute low end, but a low wind tt is the ultimate answer for low end as a novice. Door style boards can really max your low end but I find the fun factor missing. They are true to the name and ride like a door! Hopefully someone else will chime in with more

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:11 pm

I know of that kite and those 2 North boards

With the Spike 163 and Sp3 15 without extensions you will ride in 10 knots EZ with 100% pleasure

Extending lines 6m on the 15 is really not much help

You may be able to squeeze 9 knots of low end but with only 50% of pleasure and 50% of work

........................................ :surf: :sun: ........................................................................................................

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:20 pm

Was about to say the same....

You will NOT be fully powered with the 15m2 in 8 knots on that board :wink:

Maybe juuuust possible to go along losing upwind ground, but not powered.

If you went for even a small low cost raceboard, you could go quite powered in 8 knots though - because of the apparent wind - but that is not your desire it seems ?

Remember, 10 knots is "a lot", compared to 8 knots which is really really low wind, almost half the power only :roll:

:D Peter

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:05 am

You will never be "well powered" in 8knots on the 15m.

You need to mental prepare yourself for those days as chilled cruizing days. Experience the zen of light wind kiting. Then you will expirience pleasure.

The conditions of the water make a huge difference to the ultra low end. particularily with the speed 3. it craves speed and aparent wind for power. if you have a flat water spot then your'l be able to crank several knots less. but as soon as you get swell, waves, current. they can kill your board speed and aparent wind. At my local which has current, swell, waves. your pretty much screwed sub 12 knots.

But i have kited in an estuary with wind against tide on a relatively power hungry wave style TT in 8-10 knots and was able to stay upwind!.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 am

Extensions will help some... I notice the difference on the 21, and prefer the longer lines on that kite.

Why the North board? Have you thought about the Flydoor L... similar size and I KNOW they work well with Speeds :)
plummet wrote:The conditions of the water make a huge difference.
Agreed, for ANY kite!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:02 am

Kamikuza wrote:Extensions will help some... I notice the difference on the 21, and prefer the longer lines on that kite.

Why the North board? Have you thought about the Flydoor L... similar size and I KNOW they work well with Speeds :)
Agreed, for ANY kite!

yeah but moreso for the speed. its so damned high aspect that it needs that aparent wind. if speed gets betten down with swell/waves etcs then it looses power. A faster lower aspect lei can work better in swell/wave combo than the slow aparent wind craving speed 3

misfit132
Rare Poster
Style: Race/Freeride
Gear: North Fuse 7 12
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding, Mystic

Postby misfit132 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:20 am

Kamikuza wrote:Extensions will help some... I notice the difference on the 21, and prefer the longer lines on that kite.

Agreed, for ANY kite!
North board because it is way cheaper and I think lighter than FlyDoor L size

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:26 am

misfit132 wrote:North board because it is way cheaper and I think lighter than FlyDoor L size
3.2kg vs 3.4kg for the North... dunno if that includes fins/pads though. I'm sure there are retailers around who'd do a deal if you gave them an email... "The economy is in a down-turn" and all that :o

I've been eyeing up an Underground Stella 150x49 but can't find any reviews or anything :(

What about a Nugget :D
plummet wrote:yeah but moreso for the speed. its so damned high aspect that it needs that aparent wind. if speed gets betten down with swell/waves etcs then it looses power. A faster lower aspect lei can work better in swell/wave combo than the slow aparent wind craving speed 3
... cos it's not really a wave kite ;)
I have issues with the 12 stalling on me so I have to be less ham-fisted with it, but the 15 I find a doddle to ride. My LEIs are Crossbows though so not exactly low AR; I can't remember what low AR kites are like now!
Tend to like riding "over-powered" on the Speeds so on/off power is not so much of an issue - dive and go.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:31 am

I dont agree about the water conditions making a huge difference 8)

For a TT maybe yes - but a raceboard will fly over the chop usually.

And in waves, however small, I will say I get going earlier/faster because you can utilize the wave power or backsides, to get planing - and once up, you work in sync with the waves both ways - so actually easier often (if used to waves that is...)

I dont find super smooth water to be way better than small chop, regarding how early I start on a raceboard :naughty:

Just a very different opinion and experience, I know :wink:

Of course you can maximize your upwind angle more in totally flat water, no doubt.

But the difference in planing is extremely small IMO, for raceboards or even waveboards.

:D Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”