Style: freestyle
Gear: 145 Cab Rival with 2010 Sync Bindings
2012 14m LF NRG light breeze
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Self land in water

Postby celly » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:21 pm

What are the best methods to self land in water, aside from pulling the release... I have seen a lot of instruction as to how you can do this on the beach but nothing on how to do it while you are in the water. I have limited beach space available for a launch but do have shallow water, waist to knee deep conditions for landing. Any videos or resources you could share are greatly appreciated.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: Self land in water

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:32 pm

celly wrote:What are the best methods to self land in water, aside from pulling the release... I have seen a lot of instruction as to how you can do this on the beach but nothing on how to do it while you are in the water. I have limited beach space available for a launch but do have shallow water, waist to knee deep conditions for landing. Any videos or resources you could share are greatly appreciated.
There are plenty of options if you have the shallow water and don't have to worry about drifting with your gear and getting tangled in lines. While it depends on the kite, the simplest one is the first idea you didn't ask for, which is to just bring it to the edge of the wind window and release the safety. Some kites and bar brands (Slingshot in my case) will drift perfectly depowered on a single front line. I have heard feedback that kites that leash to both front lines don't always sit nicely for you, thus, depends what you have.

Another good option is to find a sturdy post or plant yourself an anchor...then, again, bring the kite down to the edge of the wind window, depower the rig, attach the CL to a fixed object and walk up the lines to your kite. That's nice because you don't risk tangling your lines as you do on a leash release, but takes more prep. You also have to walk to your kite instead of pulling it to you on the leash line.

One other tip if you decide to try the safety release. On my kites, dumping to safety is effortless and non sketchy IF I have my leash connected to the upper front line. So, when I am rigging my kite I think about where I might self land and make sure the center line that is leashed will be on the upper line. It will 100% depower either way, however, if I have it connected to the lower line, the kite may spin around the leash line once until it orients itself. That can twist lines and can also be a bit sketchy if you do it on land and there are obstacles around). But if it's the upper line that is leashed...the kite just sets itself down gently on the leading edge...on land or water. Very predicable.

Good luck!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:34 pm

I like pulling the release for a water self land. Simple. Another option is to drive a stake into the sea floor, put a float on it with a carabiner. Use it like a normal tethered self land. Ride up to the buoy, move the kite from harness to buoy, swim down the lines to your kite, grab kite, swim back to buoy, attach kite to buoy. wrap lines, swim home. Pulling the release is a bit quicker because you flag the kite, wrap the lines and then swim home instead of swimming to and from your buoy/tether.

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:43 pm

A number of years ago I made a self-launch/land float gizmo. I could keep an extra board on deck also.. I had a small Danforth anchor beneath the yellow float.

Nowdays, I simply drag the kite off the bank .. 'dump it in water when I am done. ..'too much junk to setup.

I prefer 5-line kites for self-landing safety.

Jim

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm

Postby Whattheflock » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:16 pm

I just bring the kite to one side of the window, drop it fast and grab/reef hard on the front lines. Kite will fall into depowered position. Then just follow the front lines to the kite. Bit of a trick, but it works every time.

celly
Medium Poster

Postby celly » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:33 am

Whattheflock wrote:I just bring the kite to one side of the window, drop it fast and grab/reef hard on the front lines. Kite will fall into depowered position. Then just follow the front lines to the kite. Bit of a trick, but it works every time.

By depowered position do you mean LE down in the safe position or are you talking about the kite rolling onto its back in the carrying position?

celly
Medium Poster

Postby celly » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:35 am

Wetstuff wrote:A number of years ago I made a self-launch/land float gizmo. I could keep an extra board on deck also.. I had a small Danforth anchor beneath the yellow float.

Nowdays, I simply drag the kite off the bank .. 'dump it in water when I am done. ..'too much junk to setup.

I prefer 5-line kites for self-landing safety.

Jim

Thats an interesting setup Jim. Something like that would be perfect for the area im kiting in! Would you mind posting some more pictures of the flotation station out of the water? So I can see how its all rigged up

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 am

Where I usually ride (at my home) I usually end up self landing in shallow water. With my Ocean Rodeo Rise I put the kite to the edge of the window, and once the wing tip is down I pull a top line and the kite will drop LE down onto the water (different kites may vary). I usually time this with a lull if there are any. I then keep holding the same line and "climb" up the line as I walk quickly to the kite. I don't even unhook from the kite, and I walk in a slight upwind arc toward the kite so I'm keeping tension on it to pull it upwind a bit and keep myself away from the other lines. It also lets the end of the lines by my bar stay cleaner too. Once I grab my kite I wind up the lines and by staying hooked in and not having a free floating bar I have no tangles to deal with for next time.

Having said all of that, the bay where I drop my kite is sometimes a bit sheltered. I do not use this method when really powered. I can usually hook onto a neighbour's moored boat or float if I don't think the kite will stay put. Flagging to one line and attaching to a float/anchor may be a more reliable method in more wind.

Peter

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:18 am

are you kidding? why would you want to do anything other than disable the kite and pull it in. its so easy, and fail-safe. thats why there is a leash line. ridiculous and unnecessary contraptions and "techniques" just lead to trouble.

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:36 pm

Celly.. Here it is. A carabiner attached directly to anchor running thru the float. I would not trust a mushroom anchor commonly used in a small boat. You cannot be - too rich.. too thin .. or have a large enough anchor. (within reason)

Jim

Return to “Kitesurfing”