DocDeuce
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Shinn Dundee reviews please!

Postby DocDeuce » Fri May 04, 2012 4:55 pm

No idea on the shinn dundee. I have ridden the shinn monk and the shinn super shinn. i can tell you the monk is a chop monster, eats it up. it is also good in the flats. the supershinn is great in the flats but not so great in the chop and waves. i highly recommend the monk.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri May 04, 2012 6:53 pm

I had the Luigi until last week and it is good in those areas.
Dundee will be as good or better since it is the next model replace Luigi.
Should be great , but would love to hear firsthand.
I love the Monk now too!!

Oleg
Frequent Poster

Postby Oleg » Fri May 04, 2012 8:12 pm

My Dundee is still at customs terminal ... I hope to get it after May 10.
Here is some information from my interview with Mark .. I hope this helps a little ..

Mark Shinn: The Supershinn and Monk 2 were launched last summer and have been very well received around the world. The mix of high performance in an easy to use package is my holy grail of kiteboards, having performance is worthless if the board is hard to handle and you are fighting it all the time and at the same time making an energy sucking, lifeless ride is no use either.
We just launched the new Gintronic and Dundee models. The Dundee is probably my favorite board from the range, developed from the Luigi this is the go anywhere, do anything board in the range and is really a step ahead of any freeride board I created before. I’m very excited to see the test results on it from the general public.

Question: Do you have the favorite board model you would keep for yourself?

Mark Shinn: At the moment the Dundee is my favorite board but in part that’s because it was the last one I developed. When I’m testing boards I tend to ride only that one type until I am finished hence my favorite board is normally the last one I designed. If I have to travel with one board though it would be the Dundee as it can do the most things in the most conditions.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri May 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Its tested in Kiteworld #57 which should be out any day now.

coyoteface
Medium Poster

Postby coyoteface » Sun May 06, 2012 5:49 pm

After riding the monk for the last 7 months, I would have to say that i love the dundee so far. Have only rode it in the ocean, but it performs. Seems like they borrowed the s bend fins from north, and they are bigger by a couple mm than the monk fins but they work. Not sure why, but the dundee feels faster than the monk and a lot lighter on the feet. It eats chop, goes upwind well and when in the air it doesnt feel like a board is on your feet! This is a fun board, I was reluctant to order it as it wasnt geared for higher performance as the street or ss, but the shape looked nice. The tips are more square this year compared to last-but havent rode the luigi to compare. Dont see any reason not to like this board.
133x32

Seraphial
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Pissouri in Cyprus & Flag Beach in Fuerterventura
Style: Freeride & Freestyle
Gear: Flexifoil Neutron 9m & 12m
Brunotti Onyx 2010
Prolimit Hadlow waist harness
Xcel wetsuits

Postby Seraphial » Mon May 07, 2012 4:56 pm

coyoteface wrote:It eats chop, goes upwind well and when in the air it doesnt feel like a board is on your feet! This is a fun board, I was reluctant to order it as it wasnt geared for higher performance as the street or ss, but the shape looked nice. The tips are more square this year compared to last-but havent rode the luigi to compare. Dont see any reason not to like this board.
Tried it over two days this weekend and concur with the above. I also own the Monk, and its a fantastic board. Unless you're hardcore freestyling and need something stiffer, the Monk or Dundee would suit 99% of people. For me the Dundee had all the characteristics of the Monk, maybe slightly less pop, maybe a bit more mellow in comparison, BUT there's something just so much more...tactile...more tangible when you're riding it. The only way I can describe it is if the Monk gives you that cushion of air no matter what water conditions (and I suppose in a way a slight disconnection with the water), then the Dundee feels like you're connected to the sea, but treats it as if it was flatwater even if its heaving. And it still slices through chop without spray and gives you grip when you need it - in short, its now my absolute favourite ride!

Frankie
Rare Poster

Postby Frankie » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:07 pm

Any comments on how well this board does in the light stuff.

My regular board at 78kg is 133x39, is pretty fast riding and does a pretty good job I must admit.

I also have lightwind board at 140x46 which I don't enjoy riding and usually leave it at home.

I'm thinking of the Dundee in 135x44, do you think the extra 1cm in length and 5cm in width will give me a few knots?

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:37 am

Frankie wrote:Any comments on how well this board does in the light stuff.

My regular board at 78kg is 133x39, is pretty fast riding and does a pretty good job I must admit.

I also have lightwind board at 140x46 which I don't enjoy riding and usually leave it at home.

I'm thinking of the Dundee in 135x44, do you think the extra 1cm in length and 5cm in width will give me a few knots?
Of all the boards in the range I think the Dundee is the finest example in 44 - it's tactile (as has been said already) and short.. makes it interesting and involving for a large width...
If I was to recommend a big twin (I'd sooner say get a Sector) then the big Dundee is top of the list for sure. Feels much sharper than the old Luigi (which was my old fav for 44 wide twins), but with just as much stability under heavy load.

I highly recommend it....

coyoteface
Medium Poster

Postby coyoteface » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:11 am

I would go big in the dundee! My 133x42 does not have the low end you would think and usually ride my monk 135x44 more often because of the conditions here and weak winds. The next board i buy will be the Dundee 135x44 as this is such a special board-still loving it!

IF you get the 135 please let me know your thoughts....

Return to “Kitesurfing”