Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Nice Kiteloop Crash...

Postby Toby » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:43 pm

Beany is always super amped to hit the water, but on Maui he had to wait until 11 o'clock, because before that the spots are reserved for surfers and fisherman only. On the stroke of eleven Beany got out and looped, but it didn‘t quite work out. See for yourself:

This is what Beany got to say about it:

For a kiteloop like that I need plenty of height. As I‘m riding very short lines the kite‘s radius of action is proportionally reduced and I can‘t send back the kite as fast as one would do it on longer lines. On top of that my take-off wouldn‘t be as clean. Therefore I've got to look out for gusts to get that extra lift.

Kite Beach on Maui is not known for being the spot with the most constant wind. The wind blows side-offshore here and because we wanted to have the jetty as a background for photos and videos, I had to kite especially far into the gusty wind area.

As I said, I definitely need the gusts, but this one was too extreme. The bar simply got ripped out of my grip. If this happens, then most of the time during initializing the loop, which is the most powered situation, and not while being lifted.

Everything‘s happening pretty fast and therefore you don‘t get some sort of notice or realize a bad omen. It just suddenly happens and then everything is all quiet. I‘m flying with the wind, therefore I don‘t hear it, and the water is quiet as well.

As one can see I‘m getting pulled into a rotation because the leash is attached to the back of the harness - something I lovingly named „roll forward“. ;-)

I try to use the momentum and to estimate where and how high above the water I am. If I‘m able to cushion the crash, I‘ll of course try to do that by landing legs first and tumble correctly, as seen in the clip. Else, I wrap my arms tightly around my chest to protect the ribs, tense up abs and pecs and breath out all air.

So far I was spared from great harm and - knock on wood - I‘d like to keep it that way. Except for a few burst alveoli and a little blood no harm done.

https://vimeo.com/49444164

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Nice Kiteloop Crash...

Postby Billy B. » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Here it is going wrong for a friend in a foot and a half of water..

Rush Lake Utah USA
Attachments
Losee Loop fail..jpg

mariod2
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mariod2 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:58 pm

auch...risky business

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Thats getting the kite low! Must be insane to see in person!

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Postby jedi1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Billy B. wrote:Here it is going wrong for a friend in a foot and a half of water..

Rush Lake Utah USA
Where's his board?

Return to “Kitesurfing”