Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Re: 2013 Slingshot Rally review

Postby bigwave » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:58 am

I rode the 2013 Rally 14m today in 10-15knots using an Airush Sector V2 52. I was very impressed. Fast turning speed, nice feedback from the bar and nice float on the jumps are the things that stood out. The kite was very easy to launch off the water. This was my second session on it. Last week, I used the 2012 Rally 14 with the same board in similar wind conditions. I prefer the 2013, it has a bit more bar pressure and better low end performance. The addition of the extra struts make the kite feel more solid for me (210lbs). For the last 5 years I have been using Cabrinha SB's. My 2012 SB 14m has more low end grunt( or feels like it ) than either the 2012-13 Rally's. The Rally flies faster across the window and turns quicker IMO. Both jump very well, with maybe better float with the Rally. I like the Cabrinha bar better mostly because I am so familiar with it. The grip on the Comp Stick is harsh! Hands down the lines are much nicer on the Slingshot. Very stiff. Cabrinha has improved there lines in 13
I was so impressed I bought the 14 and ordered an 10m Rally as well! Why, well mostly I wanted something different( at least to me) and these Slingshots have impressed me since they came out. The first version did behave poorly at the high end of the wind range but that has been clearly addressed with the extra struts and larger leading edge.
I also rode the 2013 SB 16m today as well, I'll just say I enjoyed the Rally better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY9Yu0gc ... ure=colike
Last edited by bigwave on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

TonyL
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby TonyL » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:03 am

Nice! I am coming from SB's as well. I have a 10 and 8 SB. Getting the 2013 12m Rally this week. Can't wait to see the differences :)

windyway
Frequent Poster
Gear: .......

Postby windyway » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:45 am

droffats wrote:I've spent a bunch of hours on the 2013 Rally and on the Ozone Reo and can say that I am incredulous that anyone considers the Rally a great drifter. Maybe it's good at Drifting and OK at waves, but ride a dedicated wave kite and the Rally just doesn't come close. Watching others wave ride the 2012 I have a similar impression of that kite too. - Droffats
The 2012 Rally is fast turning and will never ever get wet unless you insist on adding some rider stupidity.
A great blend of handling, moderate power, soft loops, drift and auto relauch..... it is my perfect wave kite.
What I like best is that I can ignore the kite and just focus on where I want to be on the wave.
I often shut the power down to zero, so I can ride the wave surfer style.

More power and more bar pressure will not improve this wave kite.
Guess I will be having another season on my 2012 quiver..

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:31 am

I wouldn't worry too much about a competing companies dealer saying bad things abut the Rally.

I'm a Slingshot dealer and know first hand the 2012's preferred status amongst the wave riding crowd. I don't need to say anything more since the proof is out there.

Rode the 6m yesterday in waves and today in flat water and chop and about the only time it doesn't behave is when the pilot (me) makes a mistake. It's such an incredibly fast kite.

BTW...since the 2013 is quite a bit different than the 2012 (in some ways better, in some ways not better) I decided to horde 2012 Rally's (shameless plug). I've already had quite a few people ordering the 2012's knowing they will run out sooner or later.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

fourperf
Frequent Poster

Postby fourperf » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:24 am

toyletbowl wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about a competing companies dealer saying bad things abut the Rally.

I'm a Slingshot dealer and know first hand the 2012's preferred status amongst the wave riding crowd. I don't need to say anything more since the proof is out there.

Rode the 6m yesterday in waves and today in flat water and chop and about the only time it doesn't behave is when the pilot (me) makes a mistake. It's such an incredibly fast kite.

BTW...since the 2013 is quite a bit different than the 2012 (in some ways better, in some ways not better) I decided to horde 2012 Rally's (shameless plug). I've already had quite a few people ordering the 2012's knowing they will run out sooner or later.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
As much as I like the new kites I also missed the turning speed of my 2012 rally's. I also felt like they were the perfect wave kite.. Yesterday I rode a 2012 9 back to back with my 2013 9. I wouldn't want to go back to last years kites. All the things that are better about the new kites outweigh the slower turning. It was gusty and windy with overhead surf. JMHO.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Four...awesome, that's the beauty of it. Some will like the new 2013 better and some the 2012 better. Curious, what kind of conditions were you riding the 9m's in?

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

fourperf
Frequent Poster

Postby fourperf » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:31 pm

toyletbowl wrote:Four...awesome, that's the beauty of it. Some will like the new 2013 better and some the 2012 better. Curious, what kind of conditions were you riding the 9m's in?

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

it was side on. 20knots ave. 6ft faces.

I didnt realize until after the back to back riding on the 9m kites how much better the rigid airframe is on the new kites. Of course if they turned like last years that would be the best but if I had to choose I would pick the new ones. Like you said though they are both great kites. Different strokes........

superpak101
Medium Poster

Postby superpak101 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:05 pm

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but here is another review of the 2013 Rally.

http://www.iksurfmag.com/issue35/?page=143

Has anyone else ridden the 2013 Rally and can comment on its jumping ability and hangtime compared to the 2012?

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:11 pm

in light of the fact the one complaint from rally lovers is the new on turns slower. Anyone else see the humor in the tag line they chose for their 2013 rally banner adds?

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby toyletbowl » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:54 am

2013 rally is easier to jump higher and has better hangttime.

Bob
Www.kiteridersllc.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”