Shinn Dundee reviews please!

Forum for kitesurfers
L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Re: Shinn Dundee reviews please!

Postby L0KI » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:32 am

Been wondering if the Dundee 132X42 was any better at planing with moderate power than my Monk 132X41, which could be better in the lulls.
When I've got lots of power, it is sublime.
Kinda wish they had designed the Dundee 132X42 as a 135X42 or 136X42.

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:01 am

Oldnbroken wrote:Been wondering if the Dundee 132X42 was any better at planing with moderate power than my Monk 132X41, which could be better in the lulls.
When I've got lots of power, it is sublime.
Kinda wish they had designed the Dundee 132X42 as a 135X42 or 136X42.
The length really doesn't make as much difference as you think. It's more width, outline and stifness. Remember nearly all the Shinn boards share that same magic rocker line, so they do feel similar, just tuned around outline and stiffness. Length is there to accommodate stance, but outside that, a longer board adds drag as much as it adds size. So the width/outline and stiffness make more of a contribution than the length which everyone seems to measure by.

If you ware wanting a healthy dose of the upper power level ability of the Monk, but more low end then try the Street. It has the same rail length as the Monk size for size but more tip area and stiffness for pop, which also has the added advantage of planing slightly earlier, for the very slight compromise of ragged edge control..

What will be really interesting will be to try the Monk forever against the Street in lighter winds - the MF is coming back with feedback that indicates it's is better underpowered than the previous Monks, and so it will be interesting to see how it is back to back with the Street.

The Dundee is softer in tip, and for the width indicated feels surprisingly small underfoot, so don't be afraid to take a bit more width in Dundee than you would normally expect to - you are rewarded with an excellent low end, but sill never seem to get your ankles pushed when you start to load - hence why the 135x44 dundee feels so small and responsive for such a big board..

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:05 am

Oldnbroken wrote:Been wondering if the Dundee 132X42 was any better at planing with moderate power than my Monk 132X41, which could be better in the lulls.
but to answer more specifically - yes, better planing and better upwind. It will also feel a lot more alive under medium power, more feedback, more feel...
When you start to push the absolute limits of speed and control though the Monk will start to pull ahead as nothing seems to hold the poise like the monk when you actually pass the limits of sanity!

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:48 am

KiteWorld Mag loved the Dundee 133 and Street 135 a lot, ....but right at the end of the review they said "It's not really anything we would change, but we only got to test the size 133X42 Dundee, which we felt was a bit small for us, but the fact it still worked so well is a tribute to the effectiveness of the shape."
That's a bit of a confusing comment, but leaves you with the nagging feeling that it could be a tad bigger in some way.
I'm just pondering if three more centimeters length might have been useful.
But I would guess that Mark and company tried that in the prototype stage.
I know width is a much bigger factor, but I hate to hear Coyoteface say his 133x42 Dundee is not enough board.
I've got a 135X47 twin for lightwind and I only want to be on a real wide board in real lightwind conditions.
You have said the Street 135X41 provides more carry being a bit wider tipped and 20% stiffer tipped.
Street is it also longer per width at 135X41, I assume for more freestyle pop and to counteract the additional rocker.
The Supershinn is also longer per width at 135X41 & 136X42.
Glad to hear the new Monk is addressing a bit more low end capability..it is the only thing I can see that you could possibly do to improve the original awesome Monk.

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:46 pm

I rode the new monk 130 lat night and it has a better bottom end.. Carving and stability under load seems the same, but the bottom end is more efficient..

The dundee gives range.. lots of it - width in a short length makes it goes early keeps control when wound.. Perhaps is the 133x42 is not enough for the heavy then they need a 43 wide version too.. Not only is it short but it is very soft in the tip - in many ways it's even shorter for this, whereas the street is longer and stiffer.

Modern TT's are VERY long.. in the old days before depower kites we were riding 120-127 generally, and 130+ were for beginners... Shorter wider boards do have more range in my experience.. The Dundee is unique in the lineup for this reason, and I do rate it.. not only for the range but for the feedback and tactile feel it has through the water. It is a perfect example of a high end freeride board...

ryanroberts1983
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby ryanroberts1983 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:31 am

I think the guys at http://shinnusa.com have reviews in their blog?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:04 am

When you start to push the absolute limits of speed and control though the Monk will start to pull ahead as nothing seems to hold the poise like the monk when you actually pass the limits of sanity![/quote]

Yeeha baby, 23 knots plus winter squalls on my 10m VX...out comes the MONK! yeeha.

Who needs low end on the shinn, ride it when it should be ridden - insanely! But if ya only board yeh I get low end could be wanted.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:16 am

MikeBirt wrote:Modern TT's are VERY long.. in the old days before depower kites we were riding 120-127 generally, and 130+ were for beginners...
Mike-
I started on a Flexifoil Blade 4.9 Meter non sheetable foil kite and Slingshot Dimi Twin Picklefork (165 CM long) kiteboard.
Boards were all pretty long then.
I eventually graduated to Flexifoil Strike C kites, Strike II C kites and WindWing Outrage C kites and Slingshot Octane C kites & Slingshot Machine Lightwind C kites and then came the bows/sle's/hybrids/deltas and now I have one new four line C kite in my garage again. The circle comes around!
Boards got short 4-5 years (forget exactly) after the pickle fork days were done.
But yeah, for a while things got short with the 119 CM Protoy types and all that stuff that came after Lou Wainman cut some boards up.
After the Dimi, I've been 132,133,135, 136 CM, never did the super shorty boards.
Looks like some of the Free style / Wake style kids are running 141/142/143/144/145 CM again.
Last one I talked to is using a wakeboard and not even bothering with kite specific Freestyle boards anymore.

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:59 am

Oldnbroken wrote: Boards got short 4-5 years (forget exactly) after the pickle fork days were done.
But yeah, for a while things got short with the 119 CM Protoy types
good job!
you forget the 90cm misfit tho!
lol

the really long orly twin tips passed me by - I always considered them so unbalanced.. I kept on the directionals until the pickleforks and bindings.. I was a good customer of Jimmy's for a few years :-)

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:32 am

When I started, I just got handed whatever the guy teaching me put in my hands, for about a year.
I also bought his hand me downs, whatever they were, nice and cheap.
No thought about any of the gear (or choices) was just happy to be doing something fun like snowboarding had been.
No background in windsurfing, surfing, kite buggy, paragliding.
Had a Naish Sky Pirate 6' 6" and the Dimi Twin available to use, and the Dimi was easier for me.
It was a slow start with some really weird (non LEI) kites before my first tube kite.
For boards, I think my first twintip that I bought was a really cheap generic wakeboard that would not go upwind no matter what.
When I finally bought the Dimi, I thought it was the best thing ever!

Return to “Kitesurfing”