Blade Kites, 2013 here we come

Forum for kitesurfers
Jinx
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Blade Kites, 2013 here we come

Postby Jinx » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:56 am

there is not much printing on these kites, most of the graphic is done by panel's.

the new kites are SUPER high quality!

Motion
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Grado, Marina Julija
Style: Freeride
Gear: Blade
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Motion » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:50 pm

i wish they would add another slower turning setting on 7 and 9 primes. Unhook even on slow the 9 (and 7 probably) is still quick for my taste.

BladeKitesUS
Rare Poster
Local Beach: USA
Gear: Blade Kites
Brand Affiliation: Blade Kites

Postby BladeKitesUS » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:48 am

I had a chance to spend some time with a late version prototype (not final) in the Gorge this August and have some insights.

First, the graphics on this kite pop. It just looks great. The angles and the colors... all come together in a very clean and sharp presentation. I haven't cared about graphics too much in my kite carreer, however in the past years, I have to say that there have been some beautiful kites. Props to Liquid Force for their great looking kites the past 2 years, but I think that the 2013 Trigger falls into the same level of visual excellence.

Constuction wise, the 2013 kite is bomber. Without tearing the kite open, you wouldn't know that the leading edge has been internally reinforced to support higher leading edge pressures. In the 2012 season, there were ZERO leading edge failures, but with the 2013 Trigger the smaller leading edge requires higher pressures to perform.

With the higher pressure (10 ish PSI) the kite is very solid in the sky, and did a good job in the gusty gorge conditions. Power delivery was smooth, and the kite felt like it was quick, but slightly less pivoty than last year's trigger. For me, the jumping was good in the strong Gorge winds, but when I handed the kite off to others that were less jumpy than I, I immediately saw them jumping higher than I had ever seen them jump before. I am not sure how to read that, as I feel I am a very good jumper, and the kite jumped well.... but for those that weren't as good of jumpers to begin with, their jumps seemed to be much higher. (ie... If well powered, I never have problems getting 30ft+ high jumps... almost on any kites... but I saw people I had never seen jump over 20ft getting close to 30ft high)

The winds died in the Gorge, so we went to the coast and I got a chance to play with the kite in some really crummy and inconsistant winds. The kite was exceptionally smooth though the gusts and lulls, and in the lighter winds, this was where the jumping impressed me. The low end and smooth flying characteristics allowed me to make the 9m work in conditions when most others were on 10's and 12's.... and much lighter than me. I am not saying this kite is a 9m that has the power of a 12m.... but I was able to make the 9m work when I was wondering if it wouldnt. The bottom line is that I had a very fun time on the kite, and compared to last year's trigger, I felt like the 2013 kite had an additional smoothness that made the kite a blast to fly.

In a nut shell - 2013 vs 2012 (at least with the proto that I flew)

Less Pivoty turning... more of an arc.
Better jumping for others when well powered... better jumping for me when lightly powered
Both 2012 and 2013 are very easy to relaunch
Both seem to be similarly fast turning... faster than most other kites of the same size (can't think of a faster model)
2013 seems to fly a bit further forward in the window = better upwinding and better jumping
Big Kiteloops on both are fun and not too scarry... but a bit more powerful on the 2013

What I haven't tried is unhooking on the 2013, Riding in the waves on a downwinder, or the new bar.

Looking forward to getting other sizes to try and to play with these in other sizes.

I still LOVE the 2012 version and think it is one of the best well rounded kites out there... but the 2013 feedback has been super positive so far, and I am especially excited about the new bar...

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:40 am

Motion wrote:i wish they would add another slower turning setting on 7 and 9 primes. Unhook even on slow the 9 (and 7 probably) is still quick for my taste.
I am hoping for this as well, also a wake and freestyle bridle setting would be helpful. An 8m would be great too, as at my weight I rarely ever got on my 7m.
Last edited by fdvj on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jack bush
Medium Poster

Postby jack bush » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:20 pm

The 2013 looks beautiful :!:
Got to see a late Proto and didn't know it was a Blade kite till the guy holding it mentioned it.

Motion
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Grado, Marina Julija
Style: Freeride
Gear: Blade

Postby Motion » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:11 pm

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:19 am

it´s a pitty blade doesn´t offer a non briddle, full C kite

fat lady still my favourit

graphic wise 2011 are still the best in my opinion, but this ones do look better than last year

jack bush
Medium Poster

Postby jack bush » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:22 pm

I really liked the parrot bird thingy they had from 2006 to 2010

calibra
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho
Nova Vaga