All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Build a seat harness project
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:25 am 
Frequent Poster

I'm working on a little project to build a seat harness that would work with my waist harness.

Anyone know what would be a good durable material to build it from? The material should be flexible, I'm thinking like a canvas but not made out of cotton, kinda like a nylon product.

Also where can I buy the nylon straps, and buckles from.

Thanks

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Build a seat harness project
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:03 pm 
Rare Poster

would aramid/kevlar do the job?

It is a bit hard to work with and costly.

cheers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:10 pm 
Frequent Poster

Thanks but I think I figured it out myself. Ballistic Nylon is the stuff and I think its readily available.

I'm going to a sail maker to help me with my project when I realized I couldn't get anyone in my family to sew parts together because of the thickness of the webbing. I think they can order anything I need.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:15 pm 
Frequent Poster

It would be fun to see what you come up with. I've always liked seat harnesses but would like a higher hook height.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:08 pm 
Frequent Poster

I'm just trying to improve on what I found to be a very good design.

Which includes a high hook position and better flexibility.We'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:48 pm 
Medium Poster

It should be possible, I know of a few olympic windsurfers that made their own, mostly kevlar, very light, but maybe some padding is needed for kitesurfing, not the most comfortable, many a few bruises..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:01 am 
Very Frequent Poster

nicor wrote:
I'm working on a little project to build a seat harness that would work with my waist harness.

Anyone know what would be a good durable material to build it from? The material should be flexible, I'm thinking like a canvas but not made out of cotton, kinda like a nylon product.

Also where can I buy the nylon straps, and buckles from.

Thanks

Sounds like a project that could end up severing something!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:25 pm 
Medium Poster

Very keen to see the results of this

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:25 pm 
Frequent Poster

I added a mod to my waist harness that accomplishes what you are talking about but is a bit simpler and doesn't restrict leg movement at all. Essentially adding leg straps that attach to the straps on either side of the spreader bar. I've found it helps a lot if you're back is tired or if I'm going out OP'd. I used to have an ocean rodeo session harness, and it's basically a copy of that

I made loops out of 1" webbing that go around the webbing that the spreader bar attaches to, and sewed the receiver end of a "snap buckle" (like you'd find on a backpack), pointing downward. I actually used the straps from my old OR harness, but they are basically an adjustible loop of 1 1/2" (or maybe 2") webbing with some padding sewn on, which have the male end of the buckle at the top. When I want the leg straps, I just snap them in. Works great. If anyone is interested, i can post pics, but its essentially the same concept as below, but with a different attachement point for the straps. In fact, I think attaching the straps to the webbing holding the spreader bar instead of the harness works better because thats where the upward pull in a jump is coming from. It tranfers that pull to the leg straps and you get no ride-up

Attachments:
or sess.jpg
or sess.jpg [ 32.8 KIB | Viewed 971 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:15 am 
Frequent Poster

Miltsface wrote:
I added a mod to my waist harness that accomplishes what you are talking about but is a bit simpler and doesn't restrict leg movement at all. Essentially adding leg straps that attach to the straps on either side of the spreader bar. I've found it helps a lot if you're back is tired or if I'm going out OP'd. I used to have an ocean rodeo session harness, and it's basically a copy of that

I made loops out of 1" webbing that go around the webbing that the spreader bar attaches to, and sewed the receiver end of a "snap buckle" (like you'd find on a backpack), pointing downward. I actually used the straps from my old OR harness, but they are basically an adjustible loop of 1 1/2" (or maybe 2") webbing with some padding sewn on, which have the male end of the buckle at the top. When I want the leg straps, I just snap them in. Works great. If anyone is interested, i can post pics, but its essentially the same concept as below, but with a different attachement point for the straps. In fact, I think attaching the straps to the webbing holding the spreader bar instead of the harness works better because thats where the upward pull in a jump is coming from. It tranfers that pull to the leg straps and you get no ride-up

Yes ,please post more pictures,thx.

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next